U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,610,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The truth comes out, you view renters as lower people than homeowners.
Care to comment on the 3 new projects, one about to come out of the ground, 2 huge existing and then plopping two or three more buildings down. Sounds like your utopia. Just thousands of apartments as far as the eye can see. Wonderful!!

Or you are just going to continue to be Captain Obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM

23,304 posts, read 17,479,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Care to comment on the 3 new projects, one about to come out of the ground, 2 huge existing and then plopping two or three more buildings down. Sounds like your utopia. Just thousands of apartments as far as the eye can see. Wonderful!!

Why yes, my utopia is concentrating medium density like this within 1/2 mile of a transit stations. It's called step-down density

Old 03-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Why yes, my utopia is concentrating medium density like this within 1/2 mile of a transit stations. It's called step-down density
So we have 2 large existing.

Three brand new ones.

But that is not enough. 5 large apartment complexes and dozens upon dozens of town homes. We need more. Got it.

What do you think is a good ending point? Tear these down eventually and go towards the sky?

When is the last time you've spent some quality time here?

Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Three brand new ones.

But that is not enough. 5 large apartment complexes and dozens upon dozens of town homes. We need more. Got it.

What do you think is a good ending point? Tear these down eventually and go towards the sky?

1/2 mile is about as far as most people will walk for rail-based transit. Also, If property do not want to sell, I do am not condoning eminent domain. But underused property, like the Tax office, would be better served as something else.
Also, when I visit Brookhaven it is via MARTA rail so I am unaffected by congestion.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:01 PM

6,315 posts, read 3,392,787 times
They should just build a nice, large, beautiful City Hall building on this parking lot, and a nice new public library next to it or something. With a shared parking garage for MARTA commuters and the municipal buildings. With all the parking nicely incorporated into the base of the structures, something like Atlantic Station's parking. A smaller version of that.

And maybe a small retail component, and a small city park. But not every new development needs to be residential, office, or hotels. Whether near a transit station or not.

Regardless though, they need to do something with that ugly large surface parking lot. Especially at such a prominent and visible entry point/gateway into their city, right on both Peachtree Rd and Dresden Dr. That's gotta go. It just doesn't have to be replaced with massive levels of density. Especially since even being right on top of a MARTA station doesn't mean that most people are there are going to be able to use MARTA to come or go from there even if they wanted to, because the train hardly goes anywhere. If I lived there, I'd have to drive to my office in Alpharetta, and if I worked there, I'd have to drive there from my home in Vinings. So being right next to MARTA doesn't hardly do squat as far as cars/traffic mgmt.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
1/2 mile is about as far as most people will walk for rail-based transit. Also, If property do not want to sell, I do am not condoning eminent domain. But underused property, like the Tax office, would be better served as something else.
Also, when I visit Brookhaven it is via MARTA rail so I am unaffected by congestion.
So I see you have a clear understanding of what we're dealing with here. Have a good afternoon.

FYI - That tax office is slammed all day. Its probably the most used building in the area. I think what you're trying to say is that its no the "highest and best use" as real estate folks would say. Highest and best use isn't always the best for the community.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
So I see you have a clear understanding of what we're dealing with here. Have a good afternoon.

FYI - That tax office is slammed all day. Its probably the most used building in the area.
Easily relocated into one of the vacant ground floor retail spaces along Dresden or into the future TOD. The government always pays it rent.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Easily relocated into one of the vacant ground floor retail spaces along Dresden or into the future TOD. The government always pays it rent.
Paying into Class A rent is also not a good use of tax dollars.

Don't worry there is a huge apartment complex and nearly a dozen town homes going right there. But you knew that.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:11 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,028,522 times
Quote:
There are already three brand new ones.

I'm talking about all the new additional supply the Marta project would add to those. Following now?

Not to mention the huge Post complex already here.

Maybe we can just outline every neighborhood in Atlanta with apartments. It will be glorious.

Or maybe one day you can own a home and attend all the meetings in support fourthwarden.
Okay, so only property owners get a say, huh? I seem to remember that being a problem in the past with regards to certain kinds of representation...

Good thing we never moved past that huh?

Honestly, more apartments wouldn't be awful in pretty much every neighborhood in the metro areas. That said, apartments aren't the only thing being held off by a lack of density. Condos and townhomes are also part of increasing density. The MARTA development included for sale units, not just rentals.

Quote:

Quote:

Three brand new ones.

You need to understand something about where Brookhaven is, and what that means.

Atlanta is the 9th largest metro area in the country. It is a growing, thriving place that is constantly changing, and filling in. Brookhaven is a balkanized little thing of a city inside the core area of that metro. As such, it is nowhere near exempt from those changes. Furthermore, Brookhaven has a high-capacity transit station in its downtown, which many other neighborhoods would kill to have.

If you want quaint little single-family homes, then so be it, but do so where it doesn't interfere with growth of the core city, and doesn't lessen the effectiveness of the transit system there. Honestly, a few high-rises and much more mid-rise development would do much more for Brookhaven than trying to hold on to all of those single family homes.

By turning down development, you're not ensuring the 'character' of Brookhaven. You are only hurting the overall metro.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Paying into Class A rent is also not a good use of tax dollars.

Don't worry there is a huge apartment complex and nearly a dozen town homes going right there. But you knew that.
Offset by entering into a long term for the existing property and put it to better use and generate more tax dollars.
I honestly do not understand how you are against adding to Brookhaven's tax digest, which is currently overdependent on residential property taxes (that's why they have been annexing commercial areas) It'll better buffer Brookhaven against any downturn in the housing market and not have to drastically cut services. But Brookhaven hasn't been a city long enough to learn that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or