U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 PM
bu2

9,803 posts, read 6,309,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Lots of subdivisions. Lots of those subdivisions have pools and won't let you add your own (ours is like that). And as others have said, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Maybe its all the trees that keep filling them with leaves.

There are a lot fewer pools here than in Dallas. But there are also a lot of neighborhood pools.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 3,500,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Maybe its all the trees that keep filling them with leaves.

There are a lot fewer pools here than in Dallas. But there are also a lot of neighborhood pools.
Yea I forgot about leaves (don't have a pool so don't have to worry/think about it). Who needs that extra work in a city known for its tree canopy

Old 09-04-2015, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 2,404 times
I learned in my child development classes that every public pool is supposed to have a "fecal meter" because accidents are common. If I end up moving to the Atlanta area, I'm hoping I can find a place with a pool in my yard. I get squeamish thinking of swimming in a community pool.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 PM

4,893 posts, read 3,222,064 times
The arguments about money and danger are sort of moot, as they aren't Atlanta-specific. It's not like people don't build pools in Atlanta, as opposed to anywhere else) because pools are expensive or can be dangerous.

I think a large part of it too might be the drought perception. We don't have the water availability that Florida does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTeaches View Post
I learned in my child development classes that every public pool is supposed to have a "fecal meter" because accidents are common. If I end up moving to the Atlanta area, I'm hoping I can find a place with a pool in my yard. I get squeamish thinking of swimming in a community pool.
It would take one hell of a dump to truly affect a normal community pool. I mean, I wouldn't really want to swim in a pool that someone took a dump in, but it's like one part to 500,000. Barring a full-on load-drop, nothing to get worried over.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM

9,104 posts, read 16,964,656 times
My Sub/Div Pool has some sort of Sensor, that checks the water going thru the filter every few min (10??) If the levels are high it up the chlorine a little, for next X (30mins) re-tests, if after a few tests the levels are still high its sets off a alarm on the pool deck.

The Pool Guy come every other day to clean and check the pool.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:05 PM

5,106 posts, read 3,634,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The arguments about money and danger are sort of moot, as they aren't Atlanta-specific. It's not like people don't build pools in Atlanta, as opposed to anywhere else) because pools are expensive or can be dangerous.

I think a large part of it too might be the drought perception. We don't have the water availability that Florida does.

There's no water or pool shortage here.

Spend some time looking at satellite photos in this area. There are pools all over the place!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Du...89324a2d5116e9

Old 09-04-2015, 09:09 PM

246 posts, read 222,450 times
You just have to look in areas that sell homes on big lots. When the average lot size is a quarter acre, then a pool takes up too much room. If you look into some of the developments that advertise 3-5 acre lots, you will absolutely find pools. Most likely in the "exurbs" and some semi-rural areas, but there could be exceptions.

Plus, we spend so much time sittin' in traffic around here, ain't no time for pool cleanin' or swimmin.'

Old 09-04-2015, 09:16 PM

43,357 posts, read 52,175,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Even though it gets pretty hot here, the other three seasons are not conducive to swimming. This is different than how it is in Florida, Texas, California where the weather is such that you can swim year round comfortably.

I suppose most people don't see the value in getting something that can really be used 4 months out of the year.
Clueless.

Lived in Cali. Summer is barely warm enough to swim.

Live in Texas now. We have to install temperature sensors so the pump runs and the water doesn't freeze in the winter. Pools usable May-Sept.

There is no reason Atlanta homes couldn't have pools.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 PM

561 posts, read 481,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Clueless.

Lived in Cali. Summer is barely warm enough to swim.

Live in Texas now. We have to install temperature sensors so the pump runs and the water doesn't freeze in the winter. Pools usable May-Sept.

There is no reason Atlanta homes couldn't have pools.
And Atlanta homes do have pools. The metro area isn't deficient in backyard swimming pools. This whole thread is based on a faulty premise from the OP. Is it their personal observation or is there a list showing that the Atlanta metro is lagging behind most others in the number of personal pools?

Other than the really hot states/regions of Arizona, Florida, and South Texas, we're as pool happy as any place else in the US.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,858,400 times
I don't understand where this is coming from...there are plenty of backyard pools in Atlanta - as many as anywhere else in the South. Where has someone gotten the idea that they are rare and what is the source of this false information?

There are an awful lot of pool builders and pool maintenance/supply businesses in Atlanta for there to be such a shortage of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or