U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 AM

4,267 posts, read 2,856,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
There's no water or pool shortage here.

Spend some time looking at satellite photos in this area. There are pools all over the place!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Du...89324a2d5116e9
WOW! Look at all of them! There's, like, almost one on every street of 40 homes!! How are people in these neighborhoods not just falling into them all the time???

Come on...this is nothing compared to a typical Florida neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,301,653 times
While looking for houses 9 months ago, pools were hard to find. We found a few, but very few.in hindsight, I'm glad we chose the house without a pool.
The hoa pool has been a pleasure to have in our small neighborhood.
Coming from Dallas TX. .pools were abundant

Old 09-05-2015, 09:33 AM

4,738 posts, read 3,264,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
WOW! Look at all of them! There's, like, almost one on every street of 40 homes!! How are people in these neighborhoods not just falling into them all the time???

If you zoom in, there are 3 homes in a row with pools and many more as you pan around. But whatever, I'm going to go out now and do a rain dance and see if there's any water left in my well. Oh, and by the way, the OP never asked "why are there less pools in Atlanta than in Florida". The insanity in this thread is off the charts.

And here's a completely different area to peruse...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...1c75d607a78bb8

Last edited by flamadiddle; 09-05-2015 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 12:08 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,856,161 times
Quote:
If you zoom in, there are 3 homes in a row with pools and many more as you pan around. But whatever, I'm going to go out now and do a rain dance and see if there's any water left in my well. Oh, and by the way, the OP never asked "why are there less pools in Atlanta than in Florida". The insanity in this thread is off the charts.

I'd hardly say it's insanity. It is a valid observation. In Atlanta, pools are relegated mostly to larger, more expensive houses. Don't see too many standard houses with pools like you do in some other areas. Is Atlanta devoid of pools? No. But I wouldn't say they are plentiful.

I, for one, would not want one. My wife does. But, we all know who will be doing the maintenance on it. And if there's one thing I hate, it's maintaining anything.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:13 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,068,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Florida has the benefit of the beach. The only major Florida city not beside one is Orlando.

Considering Atlanta's longer distance from a beach (a drive to Tybee Island is what, 4-5 hours from metro Atlanta?), I'm surprised that there aren't more pools around Atlanta.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 PM

28,203 posts, read 24,802,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Exactly. We filled ours in for these very reasons.
I talked to a man about filling one in today. Since the kids are gone that thing has been nothing but a money pit.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 PM

4,132 posts, read 3,249,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Florida has the benefit of the beach. The only major Florida city not beside one is Orlando.

Considering Atlanta's longer distance from a beach (a drive to Tybee Island is what, 4-5 hours from metro Atlanta?), I'm surprised that there aren't more pools around Atlanta.
North GA has nicer lakes though. Really I rather spend a day on the lake. Can do more in the water.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 PM
bu2

9,019 posts, read 5,733,598 times
Quote:

Try flying into Dallas sometimes. Its nothing here compared to there. Houston as well, but Houston doesn't have as many as Dallas.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,663,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Lots of subdivisions. Lots of those subdivisions have pools and won't let you add your own (ours is like that). And as others have said, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I don't think it's the money so much as many HOA's don't allow it. I think there are a lot of houses with everything from pools to koi ponds, but the neighborhoods do not have an HOA restricting their options. I may not want to live across the street from a house that is Pepto Bismal pink, but I feel that if you buy a plot of earth, you should be able to do what you want with it as long as nothing is getting hurt.

My parents still live in the house I grew up in, but I think many Atlantans don't intend to stay in a house for a lifetime. There is an obsession about resale value after 5 years or so. I'm guilty of moving fair amount of times because I have not found my spot here. It makes me feel more like I'm residing some place instead of truly being at home. When I truly set roots down, it won't be in a subdivision with an HOA again.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 AM

616 posts, read 881,289 times
While it is hot enough here to swim in the summer, this isn't Miami or Houston. If I had a pool, I may use it, what, 3 months per year maybe 4 max. Not worth it. And, pools are pretty ugly compared to the awesome tree cover you can have in your ATL backyard. I'd never trade my trees for a pool that has a cover on it 8-9 months per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or