U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 PM

73 posts, read 62,048 times

Advertisements

For Clayton (or Henry or Fayette) residents who haven't tried MARTA since its Clayton debut in this year. On Sept. 7 (Labor Day) MARTA is inviting everyone to ride its trains and buses at no charge. This is to say thanks to loyal riders, and to introduce MARTA to new customers. So, jump on a bus and go to either the College Park or East Point station and catch the train for the airport, downtown, midtown, Decatur, or wherever the train goes. If you haven't tried MARTA yet, this would be an easy way give it a try. It is my understanding that the system will run on a Sunday schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM

650 posts, read 1,268,351 times
sad, no one replied to this post.

cause no one wants to try marta, even when its FREE..

public transportation in atlanta sucks. (unless youre going to a braves, hawks game, or AIRPORT, and you LIVE exactly within walking distance of a station also).

heck even marta buses try to RUN down bike riders on the streets.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 800,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

public transportation in atlanta sucks. (unless youre going to a braves, hawks game, or AIRPORT, and you LIVE exactly within walking distance of a station also).

1) Then why is ridership increasing (see below)? If "no one wanted to try MARTA", shouldn't ridership be, oh I don't know, GOING DOWN? Plus, shouldn't we actually WAIT for Monday before we start making claims about MARTA ridership on a fare-free day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 APTA report
Bus: 204,900 (+2.77%)
Rail: 232,100 (+2.29%)
Paratransit: 2,000 (+0.59%)
Total: 438,900 (+2.50%)
(The full report is here.)

2) Yes, public transit in Atlanta isn't the best. A combination of sprawl, low density, lack of regionalism, past MARTA mismanagement, and transit-averse politics will do that. Even then, while MARTA rail doesn't serve every attraction in metro Atlanta (Stone Mountain, Six Flags, Turner Field - even though there are specific MARTA shuttles to the latter two places,) they do manage to serve many of them (Lenox, Perimeter, Philips Arena, the Georgia Dome, GWCC, AmericasMart, High Museum, and the Airport, just to name a few) despite its limited coverage and resources.

3) Wow, this seems like a crazy claim. "MARTA buses try to run down bike riders"? Got any proof for that?

- skbl17

Last edited by skbl17; 09-06-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM

73 posts, read 62,048 times
I did the free MARTA ride to see how it compares to a regular day. There were more riders, many riding for the first time since service started in Clayton County. The bus ride from Morrow to the East Point station was a breeze. The trip on the train to downtown was also easy and quick. Two couples said they would definitely be taking MARTA more often. One man commented that he had no idea how easy it was to ride. Another commented that he felt perfectly safe.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:51 PM

28,118 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrowMan View Post
I did the free MARTA ride to see how it compares to a regular day. There were more riders, many riding for the first time since service started in Clayton County. The bus ride from Morrow to the East Point station was a breeze. The trip on the train to downtown was also easy and quick. Two couples said they would definitely be taking MARTA more often. One man commented that he had no idea how easy it was to ride. Another commented that he felt perfectly safe.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:11 PM

633 posts, read 1,169,039 times
I did the free ride as well but I'm a daily rider....two 196 buses were full to capacity headed to College Park Station so they just left people stranded for about two hours....thankfully I was just able to ride the 191 and go to international terminal

Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 AM

22,154 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:

I doubt bus drivers purposely put their CDL at risk.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:45 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,345,209 times
I was taking someone to the airport yesterday and passed by a bus on Camp Creek that was full to bursting. Like....people standing front-to-back with each other. I was wondering what on Earth was going on, then quickly remembered that it was a free day. A LOT of people took advantage of it. Unfortunately so did a bunch of unruly teens:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...ta-fights.html

I'm really PO'd they did such a senseless thing. There must be more to the story, but of course, they're saying the teens took advantage of the free rides. Just more ammo for the suburbanites who claim MARTA brings crime. SMH

Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 AM

6,370 posts, read 4,525,717 times
Quote:

ehoez what are talking about there was a mini FREAKNIK riot downtown due to all the wild kids riding that day. Its in the news.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
Quote:

Isn't it like this everywhere? If you don't live within walking distance of a station public transit usually sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or