U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 02:10 PM

1,087 posts, read 663,004 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be visiting Atlanta this month and will come in on a Tuesday and leave on a Wednesday. Short answer as to why it's so short is I found a really cheap airfare on those two days, and it's also my two days off from work. As is, I plan on staying in the Little Five Points area and I'd like to see the World of Coca-Cola and perhaps see a Braves game.

On that note, it'll be just me visiting. I am a male who will be looking for an area to stay that is pedestrian and overall safe. After researching, it seems LFP could be a neat place to stay overnight. If I did go to the Braves game, would it be safe taking the MARTA back to LFP? Or is it best just to Uber it from the stadium? I've heard online that during game times the area is safe, but at other times it's not the best place to be in.

Also, I am open to suggestions as to what to do during my trip. I arrive at 2:15p and leave the next day around 4p. I do like Americana things, so I think if I saw the World of Coca-Cola, that could be neat.

I don't have to see a Braves game, I just threw it out there as a suggestion and am open to doing other fun things in ATL.

Thanks!

Last edited by Denver303TJC; 09-05-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 43,281 times
CNN headquarters are in downtown Atlanta. They give behind-the-scenes tours of the studios that are pretty neat.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherBear8 View Post
CNN headquarters are in downtown Atlanta. They give behind-the-scenes tours of the studios that are pretty neat.
Thanks! Ok, that could be cool (and neat) to see!

Old 09-05-2015, 03:22 PM

9,741 posts, read 7,670,927 times
If you like history, see the Cyclorama, an in-the-round painting of the Battle of Atlanta during the Civil War. Very dramatic, and now a piece of history itself. It's not too far from the zoo, which features pandas.

The Atlanta Aquarium is fairly centrally located, and is outstanding. So is the Arboretum, in Piedmont Park in Midtown. If you are a reader or movie buff, check out the Margaret Mitchell House (really an apartment, restored to look just as it did in MM's day) and museum, about five minutes from the Arboretum, also in Midtown, so a visit to both is easy.

Of course, the Martin Luther King Memorial (and museum) is a major draw, and isn't too far away from this area, in Sweet Auburn.

Or if you just want to be a kid again, there's always Six Flags, just west of town off the Interstate. Stone Mountain is in the other direction, east of town, and can easily occupy a morning or afternoon, though travel time would need to be factored for both Six Flags and Stone Mountain.

Lots to see and do in Atlanta - have fun!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:22 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,021,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
If you like history, see the Cyclorama, an in-the-round painting of the Battle of Atlanta during the Civil War. Very dramatic, and now a piece of history itself. It's not too far from the zoo, which features pandas.
Craig, the Cyclorama has closed. They are in the process of dismantling it, preparing for it's move to the Atlanta History Center. It will be restored and housed in a beautiful new addition.

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/...anta-cyclorama

Last edited by JMatl; 09-05-2015 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the replies! Ok then, I'll keep those things in mind, they sound fun!

Also, I know that ATL is known for it's "soul food," are there any mom & pop shops which are good to eat at? Obvious answer is yes, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Thx!

Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,021,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Thanks for the replies! Ok then, I'll keep those things in mind, they sound fun!

Also, I know that ATL is known for it's "soul food," are there any mom & pop shops which are good to eat at? Obvious answer is yes, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Thx!
This is an interesting new list, with some surprises to me:

https://foursquare.com/top-places/at...od-restaurants

We have a lot of little neighborhood places, so others will hopefully chime in. While not particularly a 'soul food' place, my personal overall Southern favorite is the Colonnade. They've been in business since the late 1920's.

Colonnade Restaurant - 97 Photos - Southern - Morningside / Lenox Park - Atlanta, GA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Old 09-05-2015, 05:47 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,536,248 times
Try staying in Midtown instead. Its more walkable and you will have access to more things.

Cheetah, Follies or Pink Pony- Go during the day for great food and exotic dancing.

Beltline - Walk the Eastside Trail portion of the Beltline. While on the trail check out Krog St Market for a quick meal and stop by Inman Park and to Piedmont Park.

Bars - Check out Crescent Ave and Buckhead Bar District at night.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,157,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post

Thx!
Check out the Sweet Auburn Curb Market. It's near the MLK Historic site and has been open since the early 1900's. There is direct access from the (free) Atlanta streetcar. They have a bunch of food stalls in there and some excellent soul food (among other types of food). Also, lots of dessert stalls to choose from.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is an interesting new list, with some surprises to me:

https://foursquare.com/top-places/at...od-restaurants

We have a lot of little neighborhood places, so others will hopefully chime in. While not particularly a 'soul food' place, my personal overall Southern favorite is the Colonnade. They've been in business since the late 1920's.

Colonnade Restaurant - 97 Photos - Southern - Morningside / Lenox Park - Atlanta, GA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp
Thanks, I love historic places to dine at! The Colonnade seems like it'd be worth a visit! I'll also check out the list from Foursquare!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or