Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,265 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this but I'm sure I will catch on quickly!
I currently reside in Miami, FL. & will be relocating South of Atlanta in the summer.
I will be getting my BA in May 2008, but not in education. I really have the desire to now become a Elementary School Teacher.

I was checking into the TAPP program but from what I have read it doesn't seem to be very good or is it? Please give me your suggestions!
Would it be better to go to school to get my Masters in Education or save the money and do the TAPP?
Also once I receive certification if I go through the TAPP program can I transfer out of the TAPP school into a "normal" school?

Would love anyone of ya'lls imput!

Take Care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Question why don't you

talk with your advisor at school since you haven't graduated. The simplest thing may be to postpone that and add in the ed. courses you need. Elem. takes a while because you have to be able to teach EVERY subject. Those programs, TAPP, are designed for folks like my husband, who completed FL's in June. He is much older and wanted a career change so with his BA in Eng. the EPI program here was ideal for him to go into the "critical needs" area of Language Arts. He did not find a permanent position so is in limbo with his certification at this point. Check the GA dept. of ED web site http://www.gapsc.comgatapp/home.asp (broken link) to tell you just what TAPP is intended to do. I think you need to either change your degree, I know it's last minute, or go for a Master's.
Why do you think there's not a "normal" school here? I don't understand the question. Do you mean where you will teach or the TAPP program?
First. You will be provisionally certified to teach in any "normal" school. Second, the program is given either in a State Univ. or a Community College. Totally normal but it's a certification program not a degree. If you need financial aid to do it you probably won't get it having a BA. Most post-bac certifications don't qualify. So then if you move to GA, how do you plan to support yourself and pay for this program until you're ready to teach?
While grad school would get you into more debt that may be the way you have to go and you will be in a position to earn more. Also your certification from FL or GA will be portable to any state that has reciprocity. A TAPP certificate is good for 1-2 years then you apply for a permanent one. They aren't always portable.
All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtheart4life21 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this but I'm sure I will catch on quickly!
I currently reside in Miami, FL. & will be relocating South of Atlanta in the summer.
I will be getting my BA in May 2008, but not in education. I really have the desire to now become a Elementary School Teacher.

I was checking into the TAPP program but from what I have read it doesn't seem to be very good or is it? Please give me your suggestions!
Would it be better to go to school to get my Masters in Education or save the money and do the TAPP?
Also once I receive certification if I go through the TAPP program can I transfer out of the TAPP school into a "normal" school?

Would love anyone of ya'lls imput!

Take Care!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 32,445 times
Default Let us Help you meet new people!

I know moving to a new area and especially one so large can be a bit un-nerving! I happen to work for a Singles Events and Activities group for Atlanta and surrounding areas.

We organize up to 30 hosted activities a month. Our activities consist of sporting events, picnics, bowling, movies, happy hours, wine tastings, hiking, and many many others. It is a great way for single professionals to meet other single professionals in a safe and fun environment.

We would love to talk to you and introduce ourselves to you. Check out our website....[

Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,265 times
Default Hello

Unfortunately I was unable to see the web address if you would please send it to me I would greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta