U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:00 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,802,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Isn't it funny how people's experiences can be so different? I've had Cingular and now AT&T for years, and have never had issues here or Nationwide.

I am in no way discounting your experience with them at all, as I hear many complaints about them (but more with Sprint than anyone else). And that pretty much goes with all carriers - I guess I've just been lucky.
Right, go though Tates Hell Swamp in FL on the way to St. George Island...AT&T is 0, or nill service for 55 miles, where as Verizon is 2 to 3 bars. This is a direct route that many Atlantan's take, If you have a flat tire or other car trouble, god help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:19 PM

84 posts, read 67,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We have always had good reception with both Verizon and AT&T in North Fulton. Right now we have AT&T because we got a better deal. I have a friend across town who had to drop Verizon because of lousy reception though. She switched to Sprint, and found it to be much better. I don't know anybody who is happy with T-Mobile.
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of Verizon giving someone problems here! What city does your friend live in, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
My experience with carriers with where I have lived which is between Cobb and Midtown has been consistently good with AT&T. The only dropping problems I have had were with T-Mobile and Sprint so those relationships did not last long.

I have not had Verizon, but the people I know here say they hate it. I have never heard so many friends gripe. One friend had to go stand in his front yard to use the phone from home. That's just drama!
Where do you live?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,079,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Right, go though Tates Hell Swamp in FL on the way to St. George Island...AT&T is 0, or nill service for 55 miles, where as Verizon is 2 to 3 bars. This is a direct route that many Atlantan's take, If you have a flat tire or other car trouble, god help you.
Whatever. I haven't been to St. George Island since Jr. High in Tallahassee, but love the place. Not very relevant, though.

I have however been in a canyon in L.A. multiple times at a good friends house that has Verizon everything, including Vios for TV/internet. They can't even use their cells on the front deck, while my AT&T Android works perfectly every time. Go figure.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I have T-Mobile with no issues.
Gosh, that's awesome! You must live where their cell service is stronger. I've had nothing, but issues since moving back. I wonder if the takeover of Metro is what changed their reception?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:03 AM

4,319 posts, read 2,884,424 times
People with wildly different experiences using the same carriers int he same areas leads me to one conclusion: it's the phones. Or the people.

I think I somehow block cell signals. I have always had poor signal. For the last 8 years, my wife and I have both had iPhones. I know I'm on my fourth model, I think she's had three. I have always had poor service, with both AT&T and Verizon. She hasn't had many problems. There were times we'd be standing next to each other and I'd have "No Service" or maybe one bar, and be on whatever the lowest data tier was (1x, the o, etc), and she would have full speed 3G/LTE. This has been the same through four phones and two different carriers.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:11 AM

12,963 posts, read 19,968,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthejam View Post
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of Verizon giving someone problems here! What city does your friend live in, if you don't mind me asking?
In Alpharetta, on Lake Windward. I think her reception issues were limited to her house, not when she was out and about.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM

446 posts, read 516,981 times
I have Verizon, and have NEVER dropped a call here in the city.

My old house in Lawrenceville had spotty service at times when in certain rooms. But outside the house, it was reliable.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM

253 posts, read 217,593 times
I was ATT and VZW for the last 10+ yrs, but have had Tmobile going on a yr and a half and they have improved A TON. Tmobile just isnt good in the boonies, but even then they have improved its just on highways you may be out of luck depending on where you are but it works perfectly in every city I have been to.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,018,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthejam View Post
I was wondering what people's experience was with these two companies outside the perimeter of Metro Atlanta. Right now I have T-mobile which used to be good around the 2009 era, but now their call quality is horrendous. I can't even talk to people now without my call dropping several times as I drive around Atlanta. I drop calls at home too. I hate dropping calls!
I had a similar problem.... the issue ended up being that my SIM card was too old to carry the proper provisions for the new protocols on T-mobile's towers.

Call up customer service and request a new SIM card. When it arrives, call up customer service and have them walk you through the process of transferring your service (and number) to the new SIM card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or