Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:27 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

As a frequent MARTA rider, glad to see this finally happening...
Quote:
If all goes as planned, a six-month pilot project would start in January with three stations — Five Points, Peachtree Center and Georgia Dome/Georgia World Congress Center and inside a tunnel that connects them. All 38 stations would feature cellular connectivity and Wi-Fi access by July 2018. The $25 million system would be designed, installed and maintained at no cost to MARTA.

In fact, the transit agency would profit from the deal.

MARTA would get $1 million up front by signing the contract prior to construction. After the vendor signs up cellular carriers, it would provide MARTA with a 55 percent profit share for the first 10 years and 60 percent for the next decade.

The profit-sharing agreement could bring in as much as $10 million in revenue to MARTA in the first decade and almost double that amount in years 11 through 20, according to the vendor’s estimates. However, MARTA officials acknowledge those projections may be rosy and said they aren’t counting on getting that large of a return.
MARTA pursuing cell and Wi-Fi service in stations, tunnels | Route 666
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Cell service is essential in my opinion... I don't think wifi is necessary.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:20 PM

244 posts, read 168,814 times
Marta is soo behind the curve this should have been like 7 years ago.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
Marta is soo behind the curve this should have been like 7 years ago.
Most transit systems are in the same boat.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:29 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
From the article: "All 38 stations would feature cellular connectivity and Wi-Fi access by July 2018."

I'm clear on what is meant by Wi-Fi access and think it should be available as well as charging stations on the buses as well. If megabus can pull it off for the meager prices they charge, then MARTA can pull it off too.

I am not clear on what they mean by cellular connectivity. I'm not a regular rider so I guess what is being said is that cell phones don't normally work on the train for outgoing and incoming calls. Is that right?

Also, does this include a component for paying the fare on a SmartPhone or is that already in place? I'm not sure I would want to use it, but I would like the option.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
From the article: "All 38 stations would feature cellular connectivity and Wi-Fi access by July 2018."

I'm clear on what is meant by Wi-Fi access and think it should be available as well as charging stations on the buses as well. If megabus can pull it off for the meager prices they charge, then MARTA can pull it off too.

I am not clear on what they mean by cellular connectivity. I'm not a regular rider so I guess what is being said is that cell phones don't normally work on the train for outgoing and incoming calls. Is that right?

Also, does this include a component for paying the fare on a SmartPhone or is that already in place? I'm not sure I would want to use it, but I would like the option.
The WiFi on Megabus is non-existent, I have never been able to connect.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:41 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Pretty much just the underground portions. Otherwise, you're fine.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
As a frequent MARTA rider, glad to see this finally happening...

MARTA pursuing cell and Wi-Fi service in stations, tunnels | Route 666
Its a great idea to some degree. The weak stations shouldnt get wifi. The cell service though, I am curious how that will work and what carriers will be in the tunnels. Im sure ATnT will get first dibs.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Quote:

1) Yes, MARTA means cellular service in tunnels. Cell service works on the trains when they're at or above ground level, and even when the train is at Lenox station. Cellular service is nonexistent in the I-85 to Garnett portion of the Red and Gold lines, the Blue Line underneath Decatur, and Five Points.

2) I can't specifically say for MARTA, but a smartphone payment app is in development for future Breeze Card payments on the Atlanta Streetcar - I'd assume that such a thing will trickle down to MARTA as well.

- skbl17

Old 09-08-2015, 11:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
There are All-Freq Cell "booster",
They pick up all the FCC Registered Cell Frequencies and more or less relay the Calls (DataPackets) from antennas in the tunnels / underground stations, to a Antennas above ground or a direct fiber feed to the carrier, Normally at one or two location where Marta has it fiber optic switches.

The $'s idea is that AT&T Verizon Sprint .... Pays Marta a fee so they can provide service in the tunnels,

(It the same type of system the Airport uses in the PlaneTrain, and in the concourses to provide Cell Service without having to put up Cell Towers all over the airport, (Cell Towers and Airplanes don't mix that well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta