U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,600,574 times

Advertisements

If HOPE goes away, let the brain drain begin. Schools would probably start going on the decline, especially UGA and GA State. Tech may be able to keep it's prestige though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:53 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
You're completing ignoring the fact that the majority of people who are playing the lottery are also subsidized by the taxpayer through EBT and other forms of government assistance. So while individuals aren't being taxed directly there are consequences that effect all of us.
Can't buy lottery tickets with EBT cards or other government assistance. Would you rather have lower income people living on the streets, kids starving to death, and increased crime rate? Because if someone's is hungry enough, they will rob you in daylight and not think twice.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM

221 posts, read 170,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Can't buy lottery tickets with EBT cards or other government assistance. Would you rather have lower income people living on the streets, kids starving to death, and increased crime rate? Because if someone's is hungry enough, they will rob you in daylight and not think twice.
No, but that doesn't mean it isn't subsidizing the habit. If someone has $1 cash in their pocket for anything, and then the government comes along and gives them an extra $1 (that can only be used for food) that mean's they still have an extra dollar they wouldn't have otherwise.

Let me be clear. I understand why we have a safety net and i'm not saying that it is or isn't necessary. I'm simply stating that it has negative consequences that can't be ignored, just as it has positive consequences.
The same is true for the HOPE scholarship program. It is subsidizing the university system in a negative way that has lead to tuition increases and is causing it to dry up quickly.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:57 PM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
I sure hope it doesn't go away. That would throw a lot of high powered executives out of work.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM

188 posts, read 121,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Slightly over half of all high school graduates will go to college, and about 3/5 of them will graduate within 6 years. Given the revenue source, the HOPE scholarship is a case where money comes from lower income households and flows to higher income households.
Poor people shouldn't play the lottery and then they wouldn't be subsidizing anyone. The lottery is a tax on the stupid used to educate the smart. It is kinda funny that is how this program is being funded, but it is what it is.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM

22,177 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
No, but that doesn't mean it isn't subsidizing the habit. If someone has $1 cash in their pocket for anything, and then the government comes along and gives them an extra $1 (that can only be used for food) that mean's they still have an extra dollar they wouldn't have otherwise.

Let me be clear. I understand why we have a safety net and i'm not saying that it is or isn't necessary. I'm simply stating that it has negative consequences that can't be ignored, just as it has positive consequences.
The same is true for the HOPE scholarship program. It is subsidizing the university system in a negative way that has lead to tuition increases and is causing it to dry up quickly.
University costs keep going up because they keep adding admins, deans, etc and not paying their staff decent. Colleges are becoming too top heavy, instead of focusing on retaining students, attracting talent, and educating students.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I like how the Hope scholarship, something that is funded primarily by the poor people that make up the bulk of lottery ticket sales, is slowly being remade so that poor kids basically can never get it. For everyone in the "it needs to have more stringent guidelines for who can get it" and the "it's not an entitlement" crowds, do you realize what the number one reason for people being able to complete college? Lack of funds.
That lack of money comment is comical. I don't buy it for one second. It is an excuse for poor decisions and lack of an ability/desire to work hard enough to make it a reality. Go to an affordable state school. Work through school. Work during the summer and you can get through school. Hell, join the military and get school for free. There are ways to get it done if you want it bad enough. Most just don't have the dedication to work hard enough to make it happen. But of course it isn't their fault...

Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Are you saying those from lower incomes will not succeed in life and are born lazy, stupid, etc? I have known too many rich kids that screwed around in college, because they knew they were set.
No, I'm saying laziness and stupidity shouldn't be excused. Hold people to a standard. If you want out of poverty, go make it happen. However getting handout after handout and being told you can't succeed creates a situation that breeds dependency and laziness.

-DMG out

Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,644,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
No need to eliminate it. Just tie some minimum test score to get college benefits. If you don't get a 1050, you aren't minimum college material. From 900-1050, you get vo-tech training paid for. Anything below that, you get a special helmet to wear and a greyhound bus ticket to Mississippi where you'll fit in.

Do that and tie the benefits to the degree. You want to study something worthless in the marketplace with a bad ROI, then you get 50% benefits. You want to go down the STEM path, you get 100%.

Problems solved.

-DirkMcGirt out

Introducing test-scores in the mix would be a double-blow to the students that are already attending schools in the poorest districts--the academic environment at their school is sub-par, and test scores are more easily "gamed" by those with resources. If standards must be raised, it should be based off of grades, as it is done now, since that is the easiest way to adjust for school quality and socio-economic background.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:27 PM

221 posts, read 170,820 times
Quote:
University costs keep going up because they keep adding admins, deans, etc and not paying their staff decent. Colleges are becoming too top heavy, instead of focusing on retaining students, attracting talent, and educating students.
I agree this is a problem as well, but there is no denying the correlation between an increase in federal/local spending on secondary education and an increase in tuition cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or