Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:44 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
And a lot of people don't know this, but hope is also used to fund daycare for low income parents. So no, the hope scholarship is not just used to fund tuition for rich college kids!
I thought it funded pre-K for all, too? Free for anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Does it matter? My son got a fine education there, and is now at Stanford for his PhD. First tier, second tier, it's up to the students, not the rankings.
No it doesn't I am just stating why it has an inflated ranking and it is due to the Hope scholarship. What's funny is my daughter was denied to UGA but was accepted at Vandy, Emory, Swathsmore, and waitlisted at a couple of other schools.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
No it doesn't I am just stating why it has an inflated ranking and it is due to the Hope scholarship. What's funny is my daughter was denied to UGA but was accepted at Vandy, Emory, Swathsmore, and waitlisted at a couple of other schools.
Don't know if this applies to your daughter, but I know a lot of suburban white girls who were denied admission to UGA, but accepted to more prestigious schools. Baffling. But goes to show how much of a difference HOPE has made.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:56 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Don't know if this applies to your daughter, but I know a lot of suburban white girls who were denied admission to UGA, but accepted to more prestigious schools. Baffling. But goes to show how much of a difference HOPE has made.
I've heard a few friends from high school like that.

Anyway, HOPE is important to prevent a brain drain. There are a lot of bright youngsters coming out of our high schools. Keeping them in the state is needed. Whenever the Mississippi board is active, it comes up quite a bit on how the smart, successful youth are leaving the state. Providing an incentive to stay in state is huge. I love having GT right here in Atlanta, excellent engineering program right in our backyard. Tech still has to compete with some higher ups like MIT but if you get into both and you can stay here and get tuition paid for, it's tough to turn it down. I may make fun of UGA's quality at times, but after spending some time traveling the south back and forth to Texas, UGA students look like ivy league professors compared to some of the people I've come across. It's good that they stay in state as well.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:53 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,703 times
Quote:
I think universities make an effort to balance things out---women are outnumbering men in college these days. When I was at Tech in the 80s, I think that there was a serious effort to attract more women (who were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 then).

Old 09-10-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think universities make an effort to balance things out---women are outnumbering men in college these days. When I was at Tech in the 80s, I think that there was a serious effort to attract more women (who were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 then).
Yes, and I don't disagree with that goal. Balance is desirable. I wouldn't want to go to a college filled with people just like me. Nor would I want that for any student.

However, I did want to point out that the practice has been a part of UGA's rise in competitiveness; along with the HOPE.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
My daughter with her 1980 SAT and minority status still didn't get in. We heard it was the too many kids from her school argument. I don't care now she is at Emory and had a 3.7 first year hopefully she'll head off to a Ivy league grad school.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
My daughter with her 1980 SAT and minority status still didn't get in. We heard it was the too many kids from her school argument. I don't care now she is at Emory and had a 3.7 first year hopefully she'll head off to a Ivy league grad school.
Congrats to her!! Hopefully she's happy there, and can see things worked out for the best... She's in a better place

Old 09-10-2015, 09:28 PM

416 posts, read 972,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Kids, whose parents make over a certain amount per year do not need the HOPE and therefore it should be for those that need it to pay for college.
What is the income threshold?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:23 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
What is the income threshold?
Probably would be low enough to screw the middle class (<$75,000/yr household income).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta