U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM

6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post

To my friend from Texas : that's interesting that in your neck of the woods, Macy's and Dillard's are on the same plane. Here in Atlanta, most Dillard's stores are superior to most Macy's. I routinely see Hickey-Freeman suits at Dillard's - not that I cannot afford them except when on deep discount - but I have never seen anything approaching that quality at Macy's. The Macy's at Lenox might be a possible exception, but the rest of the stores are pretty pedestrian.
My outlook on stores is just from what I pick up from those around me. I am past the age where I care that much about fashion (if I ever did) and really not into the ranking of stores on a very insightful basis... just my opinion based on gleaning the opinions of those around me that care more, lol.

My take on Dillard's from being in Texas first in the 80s and now for the past 12 years is that it is a competent, reliable retailer, hasn't been as prone to the ups and downs of other stores thru mergers, buyouts, etc. But out here where Dillard's has been around many decades, you will find some stores that are more up to date than others whereas they are a relatively new store for Atlanta area shoppers in comparison.

There is some truth to the saying "familiarity breeds contempt." I think that is why Macy's is seen in not as positive a light, it has been seen as the usurper of treasured Atlanta names like Davison's and Rich's. Same for out here in Texas, but Dillard's was a player alongside Foley's and Sanger Harris when your choices in Atlanta were pretty much limited to Davison's and Macy's in this mid/upper level of anchor mall store. Atlanta has also had the Von Maur's and Parisian's enter the market in this time period, can't think of anything new in DFW to add to the mix over all these years. Neiman's being based here, it is a little more a part of the retail consciousness. Nordstroms started coming here about the same time they entered the Atlanta market.

All that to say, from my perspective at least, why Dillard's isn't seen as that much above a Macy's, at least out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,824,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Oh man.. I hope they don't close Southlake Macy's... that would leave a gaping hole in an already struggling mall
I doubt it because it is the only Macy's in that specific area and it still receives a good amount of customers

Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,989,330 times
Merchandise selection is part of the problem. I see a lot of ugly, unwearable clothing (must be a trend thing because I'm seeing ugly stuff in many stores).
I'm surprised that anyone sees Von Maur as upscale; I thought the store at Perimeter was outdated from the moment it opened.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 PM

1,062 posts, read 691,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Merchandise selection is part of the problem. I see a lot of ugly, unwearable clothing (must be a trend thing because I'm seeing ugly stuff in many stores).
I'm surprised that anyone sees Von Maur as upscale; I thought the store at Perimeter was outdated from the moment it opened.
Von Maur's menswear is much better than their ladies' offerings. I often find very good, trendy stuff there, whereas the women's stuff has an older bent to it and consequently my wife doesn't buy much there at all.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,598,525 times
Not a fan of Macy's don't care

Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,743,091 times
I'm sure, North Dekalb Mall is on the list.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 PM

2,603 posts, read 542,907 times
I went to the Gwinnett Place Macy's today since I had to hang around waiting for my eye glasses to be made. It truly is the saddest Macy's I have ever seen. I could swear that the clothes were cheaper in quality and price and that the styles were less current, more garish than other close by Macy's. And more than half the stores are empty at the mall. It's just so sad. I have to laugh---Moonbeam, the company that now owns the mall notes on its eb page:

"MCI's malls and retail centers are more than a place to shop. It's a place community gathers to enjoy each other's company, see a movie, enjoy a dinner and spend a day with friends and family.":

That is so not happening at Gwinnett Place Mall! Wonder if they really have any plans to revitalzie it?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:07 AM

9,567 posts, read 8,639,816 times
Like Macy's or not, people's livelihoods will be negatively impacted.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 AM

20,962 posts, read 32,955,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I'm sure, North Dekalb Mall is on the list.
They haven't announced which stores are on the block yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. That would leave ND without a department store.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 AM

124 posts, read 133,209 times
A lot of great fascinating pointsabout the retail scene in both Atlanta and Texas concerning multiple department stores.

Wasnt it said previously that the North DeKalb Macy's store does decent business? If all arent all of the stores doing good numbers? I was told on a retail forum on Facebook that the Gwinnett Place Macys caters to the demo in that area thus keeps them afloat and the Greenbriar location SURELY caters to the demo in that location. While the malls that they are in may not seem to be any real threats to the better malls in the area, the stores really seem to hold it down. Now the only one that might have a problem is the Northlake store and that topic has been discussed quite a bit.

To @lorilove, What you are in reference to and forgive me as I dont have the exact naming of this clause but basically when an anchor store or stores sign on with a mall/development...if the have the stroke, they can enact a "non-complete voting clause" which basically says that if "through a chain of events" an anchor pad becomes avaiable and say "store x" is interested, the developers/mall management has to basically get approval from the other anchor stores...if they say "YES" then the mall will allow the store to build but if the anchors say "NO" then the store cant build...if the mall wants to override it, the then anchors have the right to exit the mall without penalty. That is something to keep in mind regarding a bunch of these Macy's stores in the area, whether the Macys pads are either leased out or owned. That plays a major factor in management as far as what stores stay and go.

*Fun Fact* I stumbled across something when I noticed the empty Rich's Auto Center at Southlake in Morrow, the holding company which holds the deed to the property is called "Rich's Real Estate Inc based out of...Cincinnati, Ohio.

Southlake Macy's holds its own with its merchadising mix along with a massive furniture gallery on the lower level.

@ATLJTL... I have also noticed over the years that Dillard's wins hands down in the Men's Dept. Our Greenville SC location has the entire lower level dedicated to Men's clothing albeit a small childrens dept and thats a 3 level store and fully stocked and a full volume....barely able to move without bumping into a clothing fixure.

To those that are native to Cumberland....what was that mall like back in the day when it had Davison's/Macys, Rich's, Penneys, and Sears? It seemed like all the stores complimented each other with Rich's and Davison's being the upscale offerings while Sears and Penneys serving the mid tier but Sears was your go to place for the appliances, hardware, and automotive. Heck, Southlake had that set up at one time correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or