U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:57 PM

22,249 posts, read 16,298,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I believe driverless cars will be fine. Look at all the massive screwups that human drivers make -- getting on freeways going the wrong way, driving a bus off a bridge, texting while wiping out entire families, getting drunk, road rage, you name it.
How will driverless cars deal with human drivers that are doing those activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM

9,012 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Driverless cars don't have to be perfect, They just have to be better then Humans.

I could see it working well for the "Last Mile" , You get off @ a (Sometype of Rail, BRT) station, get in to the next Driverless car in the Queue, and go, From your smartphone, you have told it where you want to go.

It drop you off, It goes back into available queue, Maybe it goes to a nearby staging lot, and re-charges, or goes back to the station and gets in queue there.

Load Management software should be able to over time manage where the cars sits, when non in use. Maybe for a "Cheaper" rate, you can allow it to do a Inroute pickup to/from station.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM

28,220 posts, read 24,822,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How will driverless cars deal with human drivers that are doing those activities?
Well, they should be able to detect and avoid those errors a lot faster than human drivers.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM

221 posts, read 171,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is, and will continue to be the biggest hurdle. The transition from cars with drivers to cars without drivers. Not to mention the human desire to be in control and the privacy/big brother concerns that giving up control entails.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 PM

28,220 posts, read 24,822,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
Not to mention the human desire to be in control ....
I get the impression that many drivers just barrel along on autopilot, texting, yakking on their cell phones, stuffing their face with cheeseburgers, bopping to the stereo, and so forth.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:01 PM

1,061 posts, read 883,809 times
You still have to pay for gas, so...

Old 09-09-2015, 03:23 PM

3,452 posts, read 2,848,530 times
MARTA is still gonna be the cheaper option for many people even after driverless cars become mainstream. And good luck trying to find parking during major events.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:37 PM

9,609 posts, read 8,696,814 times
Yup. There will always be new technologies that make older technologies less relevant. I don't think driverless cars will replace the existing public transit system, but I do think that the resulting improved condition of freeway traffic will slow the expansion of existing public transit systems. Sorta akin to ‹ber and the legacy cab operators. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 805,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yup. There will always be new technologies that make older technologies less relevant. I don't think driverless cars will replace the existing public transit system, but I do think that the resulting improved condition of freeway traffic will slow the expansion of existing public transit systems. Sorta akin to ‹ber and the legacy cab operators. Just my opinion, of course.
Well, LRT systems anyway. Largely off of cost concerns, HRT systems haven't been doing much expansion lately; it's hard to slow expansion of something that isn't expanding.

- skbl17

Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM
bu2

9,027 posts, read 5,741,931 times
I don't see driverless cars being significant anytime soon. Like during the effective lifetime of any transit infrastructure added.

There are hacking and liability issues that are far bigger problems than the technical aspect of making the car work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or