Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:01 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

An interesting post on this by Atlanta Urbanist:

Quote:
There’s a quote in an AJC article from last week that clearly reveals a sad symptom of driverless-car fever – one that I’ve seen popping up in comments around the internet for a while. The symptom: a debilitating reluctance to fund expansion in public transit because “robot cars are on their way soon, so why bother?” -

See more at: One symptom*of driverless-car fever: disinterest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Good point. Yes, the future will be automated/robotic. Truck Drivers also need to start working on new careers because they will become a thing of the past, although it's still a ways off.

Makes sense though, traffic will be minimized once you remove the knee jerk reactions from stupid humans.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Charlotte Nash is an idiot.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
This might not happen in our lifetimes.

Technology is progressing, but there are tons of legal hurdles before something like this could ever be considered road safe...at least I hope.

This woman is a fool. I hope we can vote her out next November. Businesses are flocking out of Gwinnett county and Gwinnett Place is deteriorating, the county can't wait on The Jetsons to save it.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This might not happen in our lifetimes.

Technology is progressing, but there are tons of legal hurdles before something like this could ever be considered road safe...at least I hope.

This woman is a fool. I hope we can vote her out next November. Businesses are flocking out of Gwinnett county and Gwinnett Place is deteriorating, the county can't wait on The Jetsons to save it.
Not only that, but can you imagine how much a driver-less car will cost when first introduced to the market, after all of those hurdles you already brought up? I imagine that for a very, very long time, they will be something that only the most financially elite of our society will be to afford. It takes a very long time for a whole population to be able to upgrade to today's newest vehicles, and traffic will remain a problem for years to come without public transit. With statements like that, she is REALLY grasping at straws to make people think of reasons for why Gwinnett shouldn't invest in public transit. Even if they were affordable, I don't think their advent takes away from the need for public transit - we are still putting too many cars on the road.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
No. It will result in more transit usage.

You will no longer be tied to your car if you want to make one segment of your trip in your car. If today you were going three places and two of them were next to transit stations you would probably take your car to all three so you could go directly to the third. However with automated taxis you can take transit to the first two and just do the auto-taxi on the last segment.

If you want to go from Gwinnett to the airport during rush hour it will be cheaper and faster to have the auto-taxi take you to the Doraville station than all the way to the airport.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Good point. Yes, the future will be automated/robotic. Truck Drivers also need to start working on new careers because they will become a thing of the past, although it's still a ways off.

Makes sense though, traffic will be minimized once you remove the knee jerk reactions from stupid humans.
Wait till the fatalities start adding up and people try and sue the car makers. Also, how will driverless cars deal with peds and cyclists? I do not see it catching on until the technology is 110% proven.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
No. It will result in more transit usage.

You will no longer be tied to your car if you want to make one segment of your trip in your car. If today you were going three places and two of them were next to transit stations you would probably take your car to all three so you could go directly to the third. However with automated taxis you can take transit to the first two and just do the auto-taxi on the last segment.

If you want to go from Gwinnett to the airport during rush hour it will be cheaper and faster to have the auto-taxi take you to the Doraville station than all the way to the airport.
On top of that, on-demand driverless cars, more or less taxis, where you schedule a pick up at your house and it takes you to the transit station. The car then goes on another call. That way people do not have to pay all that money for a car (insurance, taxes, maintenance, gas, etc.) for something they only use 2 hours a day.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Wait till the fatalities start adding up and people try and sue the car makers. Also, how will driverless cars deal with peds and cyclists? I do not see it catching on until the technology is 110% proven.
These are the same thoughts I have. How will these driverless cars deal with any number of the oddities that happen on a normal day of Atlanta driving?

It's the same opinion I have on Amazon's drone delivery. Good luck Amazon, but I just don't foresee that being a success after the first person gets whacked in the head by one or the first neighborhood loses power because it hits a power line.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I believe driverless cars will be fine. Look at all the massive screwups that human drivers make -- getting on freeways going the wrong way, driving a bus off a bridge, texting while wiping out entire families, getting drunk, road rage, you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta