Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't see driverless cars being significant anytime soon. Like during the effective lifetime of any transit infrastructure added.

There are hacking and liability issues that are far bigger problems than the technical aspect of making the car work.
Coming at us like a freight train.

Adoption path is not clear and may well be a number of them. Semi-automatic extension like extended cruise control. Full automatic systems with a driver perhaps for multiple vehicles.

The economics for a personal use vehicle are the weakest. Trucks buses and taxis are the big payoff...and in the end will end up implemented first.

How soon? A significant presence starting now with partial automation. Full autonomous? 5 to 10 years. I would look for over the road trucks as the first real devices. The Googlemobile is certainly within five years for urban use.

I would think the end of human drivers starts within then years and will be done in 25. Won't be any law...just no normal human will be able to afford the cost of insurance and there will no longer be enough of a market to justify human driveable vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 04:42 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Are planners in the ATL getting ready for driverless cars?

Why Aren't America's Urban Planners Ready for Driverless Cars? - CityLab

Old 12-09-2015, 04:47 PM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
All I know is that I don't want one.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 PM

145 posts, read 166,056 times
I think driverless cars could spur more mass transit usage. If you consider the challenge that most commuters do not live near mass transit stations, thus they choose to drive into the city. I worked in Buckhead for over 10 years, and most folks who lived up 400 never took MARTA via North Springs. Instead they chose to spend one plus hours, each way, and pay an additional $100+ in parking fees.

I would imagine a driverless car that dropped me off at the station and drove back to my house. Even better, I wouldn't need to own a car... just schedule a pick up/drop off between my house and the station. Makes it easier for one car families to get around.

When you account for average cost of owning a car, by comparison a driverless Uber + MARTA would make a lot of sense. This would also make it easier to build out the existing mass transit systems, as they would likely not need to create as many stops. And it would limit driverless cars to shorter distances and slower road speeds.

As an example, I would imagine the only realistic solution in Cobb County would be to (hopefully) leverage the existing CSX line that departs Atlanta and would make stops in Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw and Acworth. If that were to happen, each city would be required to build massive parking decks in prime downtown real-estate. I would rather my driverless car drop me off in the morning and return back to my garage until it comes to pick me up in the evening. The same for travel to the airport, entertainment activities, etc.

Automated cars have a place, but should not be viewed as the only transit solution, but complementary to HRT, LRT and buses.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Maybe because automated cars still are and will be for a long, long time just a crazy pipe dream?

Old 12-10-2015, 05:55 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
My big question for "driverless" cars...is there any option to take over? Can you ever drive them, or are they just robots?

If there's no option to drive, then eff it. I don't ever want a car that I have no option to drive. Believe it or not, a lot of people, including me and my family, don't just commute to work and back, or even go to specific locations. We love to spend weekends driving through new housing developments and checking out houses, or looking at Christmas lights, or other unplanned activities where we just see stuff and go to it.

If there's no option to take over, what happens when the thing gets stuck in a mud puddle or slips on some ice?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
The real question is: How much more are you willing to pay for the privilege of driving yourself?

Driverless taxis that will not have to pay parking, can have lower insurance costs (already 10x safer), can be a smaller right-sized-for-the-trip vehicle, and will benefit from economies of scale maintenance and purchasing cost savings will be much cheaper. Driving a car will be going the way of riding a horse. Sure, you may still enjoy it and go do it from time to time. Maybe even own one you can drive yourself. But it will be too expensive and impractical to take for your daily commute and errands in a couple decades.

Like an elevator, no, you won't be able to drive automated taxis due to safety / liability reasons (humans are dangerous drivers after all). But you will have a big red "emergency stop" button if there is an issue / "it gets stuck in the mud". You can then get out and get another self driving taxi or take some other transportation method. Just like if an elevator gets stuck or your car "gets stuck in the mud" today.

Last edited by jsvh; 12-10-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
I can see these on-demand, driverless taxis that will arrive at your house, pick you and anyone else close by that is going to the transit station (unless you are in a rush, which you would pay a higher fare), drop off passengers, then go to the next call. Same thing for return trip. Transit stations are surrounded by TODs with grocery, retail, dry clean, PO, restaruants, bars, multi-family residential, etc. to allow riders to run errands, eat, or meet friends between getting off transit and taking the on-demand, driverless taxis home.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are planners in the ATL getting ready for driverless cars?

Why Aren't America's Urban Planners Ready for Driverless Cars? - CityLab
Come on arjay, you know metro Atlanta doesn't "plan" when it comes to transportation.

- skb17

Old 12-10-2015, 12:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I can see these on-demand, driverless taxis that will arrive at your house, pick you and anyone else close by that is going to the transit station (unless you are in a rush, which you would pay a higher fare), drop off passengers, then go to the next call. Same thing for return trip. Transit stations are surrounded by TODs with grocery, retail, dry clean, PO, restaruants, bars, multi-family residential, etc. to allow riders to run errands, eat, or meet friends between getting off transit and taking the on-demand, driverless taxis home.
It is not clear that you make any new transit stations. Autonomous vehicles may well be able to move more bodies quicker than any transit system over many right of ways. Auto vehicles let you change the capacity over a wide range as needed and do not require stops at any station other than the desired end points. One may also be able to mix specific vehicles of different size on the same right of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta