Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 03:23 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yes.
Oh, okay. I didn't realize we were being that loose with our comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
The car companies can't even secure the existing vehicles and they want us to trust the entire operation of the vehicle to the electonics? HAH! Thieves are using your car

Old 05-03-2016, 07:23 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Looks like Chrysler / Fiat is partnering with Google to help them build driverless cars: Google and Fiat Chrysler announce driverless cars deal - BBC News

It is coming whether you like it or not.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Great. Will I be forced to use a car that I am never able to control, or can I keep my car and actually be able to have some control over my destination?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Great. Will I be forced to use a car that I am never able to control, or can I keep my car and actually be able to have some control over my destination?
You will be able to keep your car for the near future. But I would not be surprised to see a rapidly growing number of areas that are open to autonomous vehicles only due to safety concerns about human drivers.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Looks like Chrysler / Fiat is partnering with Google to help them build driverless cars: Google and Fiat Chrysler announce driverless cars deal - BBC News

It is coming, but I think some are being ... optimistic ... about the rate of implementation.

Than again, maybe I'm just a crotchety old software developer who spends too much time reading the Risks Forum Digest (comp.risks) and other similar publications. It's like the Internet of Things. Companies are kicking out all sort of crap without thinking about long term consequences. I see the same thing happening with car companies unless we have something like the FAA overseeing things.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
You will be able to keep your car for the near future. But I would not be surprised to see a rapidly growing number of areas that are open to autonomous vehicles only due to safety concerns about human drivers.
I agree.

Someone will crash and kill a beautiful family of four on their way to church because they were texting while eating a big mac, and it will start the cries for protecting us from drivers. It's for the children!!!!!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It is coming, but I think some are being ... optimistic ... about the rate of implementation.
Agreed. I've heard that these cars have done a million miles or whatever successfully, but haven't really seen the conditions. Atlanta's roads aren't exactly spectacular, and I'd really love to see how these cars deal with something like a really bad warehouse parking lot/driveway or a dirt road.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Agreed. I've heard that these cars have done a million miles or whatever successfully, but haven't really seen the conditions. Atlanta's roads aren't exactly spectacular, and I'd really love to see how these cars deal with something like a really bad warehouse parking lot/driveway or a dirt road.
This Self-Driving Car Just Completed a 1,500-Mile Journey Through Mexico

Quote:
...saw the car travel through the Sonoran Desert, tropical regions in Sinaloa, and the mountains region of Jalisco, traversing both highways, dense city streets, and unmarked, undeveloped roads.
But honestly, we they don't need to know how to handle every warehouse parking lot and dirt road to be useful. Just limit them to roads that have already been scanned by a google maps vehicle which is 99% of roads and will cover 99.9% of uses needed. I will walk across that warehouse parking lot myself.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The car companies can't even secure the existing vehicles and they want us to trust the entire operation of the vehicle to the electonics? HAH! Thieves are using your car
I've heard they have similar devices to try to capture your password for your ATM card, recording the beeps when you enter it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta