U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,124,289 times

Advertisements

I'm going to keep it real. I don't care for panhandlers too.

And I am especially resentful of people who panhandle even after you point them in the right direction to places that can help them.

Programs & Services | Gateway Center

HOPE Atlanta › Portfolios

Contact | Atlanta Homeless Shelters | Thrift Stores | Atlanta Mission

I never criticize anyone who doesn't know what is out there to help them get themselves together. But the moment they are told where to get help...but still act up anyways?

"Get bent" is my response.

Life is crappy, I know. I grew up in less than optimum conditions. But that's America.

Ain't no tears being shed here, unfortunately. Step up or get stepped on.

The price of living in a cold-hearted Capitalist nation...that's built on theft and maintained based on unwarranted tribal-based entitlement for some at the expense of others.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-09-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM

557 posts, read 456,060 times
*Because public transportation is a construct in which:

A person who can afford to get themselves from point A to point B pays money (through taxes) to get someone who cannot afford to get themselves from point A to B to their destination(s).

Meanwhile, the person who could not otherwise get themselves from point A to point B does not contribute, at least monetarily, to the well-being of the person with the means to get themselves from point A to B.

Public transportation does not exist outside the natural human emotions of greed, resentment and prejudice. Add in the fact that, historically, the haves are mostly white and the have-nots are mostly black and there you have it.

*None of this reflects how I personally feel. This is just an assessment of things.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,124,289 times
As for the African American teens stuff?

It's the city, it's a concentration of people like me, and we don't have a powerful multimedia propaganda machine at our disposal to make our stink smell like roses.

Perception is reality, and the American media has the amazing ability to spin a constant crappy perception of people like myself. And does so with a fanatical vengeance.

And that same America media rides extremely for white teens and white people in general. To the point where it's darn near illogically and practically obvious in a Jim Crow sort of way.

White people can go into a theatre or elementary school and gun down dozens of people without so much as a concern. White people can rape women & children and still not suffer from lack of work or other economic opportunities. White people can screw over foreign nations and cause human rights disasters for decades and not be looked at as bad.

And that's by virtue of the best propaganda machine in the history of mankind: The American Mainstream Corporate Media.

It's a cold game going on here.

But hey, just an opinion.

Love it or hate(and most will) I'm gonna say it.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:38 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,026,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
As for the African American teens stuff?

It's the city, it's a concentration of people like me, and we don't have a powerful multimedia propaganda machine at our disposal to make our stink smell like roses.

Perception is reality, and the American media has the amazing ability to spin a constant crappy perception of people like myself. And does so with a fanatical vengeance.

And that same America media rides extremely for white teens and white people in general. To the point where it's darn near illogically and practically obvious in a Jim Crow sort of way.

White people can go into a theatre or elementary school and gun down dozens of people without so much as a concern. White people can rape women & children and still not suffer from lack of work or other economic opportunities. White people can screw over foreign nations and cause human rights disasters for decades and not be looked at as bad.

And that's by virtue of the best propaganda machine in the history of mankind: The American Mainstream Corporate Media.

It's a cold game going on here.

But hey, just an opinion.

Love it or hate(and most will) I'm gonna say it.
I sincerely applaud your candor so you can hopefully applaud mine. Take exactly what you say and insert black where you put white and we fell the same way about you. From Chicago's killing fields to Rwanda's massacres. We see the African American race as more trouble than not on more than usual occasions....it's no secret why there is so much police on MARTA and anyone that says 5 points is safe is lying through their teef....same with the 3 stations below and above....it is...what it is....be it lack of economic opportunity or whatever....doesn't matter, crime is crime and you make a choice when you commit it...no amount of social well-intended mitigation changes that....

Case in point...my mother grew up DIRT poor Irish in Cleveland in the 20's and 30's....there were 72 kids to a classroom...guess what? There was corporal punishment for those that disobeyed and even more punishment when you got home...end result? They didn't have trouble, the kids graduated, the kids behaved and went on with their lives...for her, it was working as a cashier at Kroger for 35 cents an hour for five years until she had saved up enough to put herself through nursing school...which she did...she was an RN in surgery for 30 years on and off (10 years off to raise 6 kids).

So, my sympathies are somewhat diminished when I hear of kids that complain in urban areas that they didn't have this, they didn't have that and have LOADS of social benefits my mother never saw...she shared a 3 ROOM apartment with her parents, sister and brother.....sister and her shared part of a room, brother slept on the couch...today, that housing would be considered unacceptable and the social services would step in....back in 1934, it was the norm and they didn't biotch about it either.....they chewed gooey tar from road smudge pots (Remember those???) as "bubble gum" to feel like the kids from "means".....few families had cars, and all were pretty poor.

No whinng, she was typical in that era....NOT uncommon......soooooooooo, you have very poor, working class whites, behaving and not tearing schools, buses, public works to pieces, getting an education while parents either didn't speak English or were learning and had two jobs, each...her dad was a ditch digger for East Ohio Gas and evening clerk for a plumbing outfit....her mom? A housekeep for 40 years and a gopher for a rich family 2 miles away on the weekends......end result? All 3 kids ended up fine...one was a nun for 70 some odd years and her brother ended up working on the railroad and post office throughout his life....they did okay....through it all, her and my engineer father scrimped and saved all their lives to leave their kids something and it was notable for all 6 kids....they basically sacrificed EVERYTHING for their children....she clipped coupons up until the last week in the nursing home...she never got over the Great Depression and saved ALL of her life......

Dad? Oh, he was one of 9. 2 of his brothers died of "consumption" before he was born....he worked his way with his brother running a gas station in a small town outside of DuBois....5 years...then he put himself through Penn State while his brother went off to Saipan.....yeah, you could say he was poor as his dad was a road works supervisor....good job all things considered.....his brother came home a decorated vet after the war and worked quietly on the railroad the rest of his life...when he died he didn't have 10K worth of assets but, one was a brand new set of work boots my father had given him years before...he just kept them as a memory of his brother....never "treated" himself....never complained....truly the quiet majority member if there ever was one....

Sooooooooooo......years later when the blacks moved into Newberg Heights and promptly turned it into Beirut inside of 15 years, you can see why there wasn't much sympathy.....oh, and she was raised without ANY Assistance of any kind.....it didn't exist.

We are proud of our parents. Half of you either don't have them or don't know who they are/were?

So, if that is your leaning post, better find a better one. Buck up, fall in line. Get up at 4:30 and hump to work like that black man in Detroit does. Today he's a celebrity. 70 years ago it was common for everyone. NO big deal. Put some paper in those shoes to stay warm...take two jobs...do without the rims....save some money for your future...did you know that if you could/would put $5,500 away a year in a Roth IRA for say, 35 years you would probably be closing in on 800K-1,000,000???? And all this time you thought the guvmint should handle it...tsk tsk...and that's for starts.

LEARN TO DO WITHOUT when you get rolling....

I never knew a KKK member. Too busy working to help support all of you AND the white trash. Busy, busy, busy....I can't seem to find enough time to keep giving to the IRS....hope it helps....god knows hit hasn't done much for me....still waiting on that free phone...think you can hook a brother up?

If it were up to me, I'd cut almost ALL of your social benefits and watch you and the white trash learn to "swim" for a change. No joke. It's amazing how motivated one can become when the feed bag is empty, huh? I promise half of those jobs you won't take today would be prized in your commoooonity overnight.

Sooooooo.....when you lay around Moorehouse College or the Spellman or the others that are always in financial trouble and always asking for more of this and that and how we all have to keep giving and continuing to fight the radical causes that don't exist except for the chip on your shoulders......keep in mind that there is a 2nd generation of us out here with a different sort of response.....from EBT to Sprint phones to 50% of the prison population while continually defending all sorts of ill Shiite for decades.....frankly, we aren't listening anymore. Your misguided causes ring hollow with generational products like me who have had similar experiences like our parents. We worked. We weren't handed diick. And we were fine with it because we never EXPECTED it to be handed anyway......

Guess how many fingers I'm holding up now? Hey....keeping it reeeeeeealllll homie... Or, as you might say; " love it or hate it, and most will, I'm going to say it"......feel me?

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 09-09-2015 at 10:51 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 PM

188 posts, read 122,313 times
Why is MARTA so controversial?

They are attempting to form their own Army.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:51 PM

4,132 posts, read 3,244,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
. Think of all the inefficient rural roads built, does anyone see it as welfare, no because when white people give white people money it's called charity, give it minorities it's called handouts.
We're in the south, lots of rural areas are majority black. Our own Hancock county is 74% black, 24.4% white. Take a look at a map, it's very rural. Jefferson County, MS is over 80% black. There's a thing called a Black Belt. The idea that urban=black, rural=white, just doesn't work for much of the south which is largely rural to begin with.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:32 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,291,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
We're in the south, lots of rural areas are majority black. Our own Hancock county is 74% black, 24.4% white. Take a look at a map, it's very rural. Jefferson County, MS is over 80% black. There's a thing called a Black Belt. The idea that urban=black, rural=white, just doesn't work for much of the south which is largely rural to begin with.
I was thinking the same thing.

I was also thinking... I hear many of us, myself including, gripe about the the GRIP corridors when all transportation investment in the metro area has been under-invested during a period of large growth.

Nonetheless, we will always support our rural areas, our hinterlands to some extent. It is where we get our resources from for our own business and commerce too. We also need a way to pass through rural areas on our own. It isn't a handout necessarily. It is we need access to wood and food that are mostly produced in areas with very low populations. It has little to do with handouts to a particular race or class.

I was further confused that many areas that are low-income and minority heavy in the Atlanta area are actually near concentrations of infrastructure no different from the rest of the region.

Largely to answer the central question it is about taxes and where we put our resources. I think Ansley was onto something.

The one problem I had with CQ's earlier post is he immediately played the Selfish card. That's a bit simple-minded, especially in reply to Ansley's post. He made a key distinction in his post. He explicitly a fear of accessibility to people's needs in different areas. That is a real reality to address, it isn't selfish or anti-society exactly. People can choose to have their government use money differently to meet transportation purposes too. They will want to see the government spend money in a way that meets their needs.

Take Gwinnett for example, it doesn't have interstates criss-crossing the county similar to Dekalb. It has built a far more extensive county-built road system, because it lacked the federal funding that existed in the 50s-70s. Gwinnett isn't selfish, it put its money elsewhere and it largely was forced to. In contrast, Dekalb got a much more extensive network of federal funding and they did not develop (or rebuild) their existing county built arterial network much. It is mostly 2 lane roads and awkward intersections from prior rural roads. For decades they had more room to move local tax money towards other purposes of their choosing, while most traffic made their way to interstates and federal funded routes.

Nonetheless, Gwinnett built a whole lot and welcomed many with open arms. It was hardly selfish or anti-society and it grew up in an era with less state and federal funding.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 AM

22,214 posts, read 16,255,692 times
Quote:
Take Gwinnett for example, it doesn't have interstates criss-crossing the county similar to Dekalb. It has built a far more extensive county-built road system, because it lacked the federal funding that existed in the 50s-70s. Gwinnett isn't selfish, it put its money elsewhere and it largely was forced to. In contrast, Dekalb got a much more extensive network of federal funding and they did not develop (or rebuild) their existing county built arterial network much. It is mostly 2 lane roads and awkward intersections from prior rural roads. For decades they had more room to move local tax money towards other purposes of their choosing, while most traffic made their way to interstates and federal funded routes.
When freeways were laid out back then, there was little local input, it was decided at the state or federal level as to the route. Between the 50's-70's Gwinnett County was a rural county, so there was little need for more freeways. Gwinnett did benefit from the freeing the freeways program where 85 was widened to become one of the widest roadways in the nation.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:49 AM

9,588 posts, read 8,675,308 times
According to today's AJC, 33% of MARTA workers are absent from work each day and the number increases to 50% per day for bus and train drivers.

So the 1% is being used to fund this. No wonder MARTA is controversial.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:11 AM

5,010 posts, read 3,501,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
According to today's AJC, 33% of MARTA workers are absent from work each day and the number increases to 50% per day for bus and train drivers.

So the 1% is being used to fund this. No wonder MARTA is controversial.
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or