U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 08:19 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,402,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Fire them, there are plenty of workers who would be glad to have their position, retirement, and benefits.
If AJC is going to publish these rates for MARTA, where are similar rates for CCT, GCT, and GRTA? Publishing these rates for all metro transit agencies would be fair, unbiased journalism, but we are talking about the AJC.
Also, AJC acts as if employees everywhere do not fake calling in sick, as if MARTA is the only company to suffer from it.
I am in no way being a cheerleader for MARTA, if employees refuse to work, then they need to be let go, but the AJC should publish numbers for similar companies for comparison so the people can see how other transit agencies stack up and see if it is MARTA's management or something that is chronic in the industry.
But if MARTA is supposed to lead the charge in connecting the region, their numbers matter very much. Nobody moving here from across the country has heard of GCT. Come on. If you want MARTA expanded and want voters to hop onboard; you need to look at these things a little more objectively.

Atlanta=MARTA.

For better and for worse.

You can't bash everyone in metro Atlanta who might be iffy on MARTA, and then turn a blind eye to any issues MARTA has.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:21 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,402,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Trains run every 10 minutes during peak hours, 10 minutes is not a long time to wait for a train, it takes some people more time to exit the parking garage.
Glad it works for some people. Wish it worked for more.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 AM

1,151 posts, read 929,285 times
This state is too redneck,backwards, conservative and racist to want to support much needed mass transit expansion. There really is no point in sugar coating it.

There is tons or empirical evidence that more mass transit is overall better for a metro area and society as a whole. Let's just call the anti-transit crowd what it is and stop pandering to stupid.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:45 AM

22,181 posts, read 16,194,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
But if MARTA is supposed to lead the charge in connecting the region, their numbers matter very much. Nobody moving here from across the country has heard of GCT. Come on. If you want MARTA expanded and want voters to hop onboard; you need to look at these things a little more objectively.

Atlanta=MARTA.

For better and for worse.

You can't bash everyone in metro Atlanta who might be iffy on MARTA, and then turn a blind eye to any issues MARTA has.
As I stated, this is an embarrassment for MARTA, but others have stated that one thing Gwinnett and Cobb have against joining MARTA, is they can do it better and more efficiently. Which is why I stated, what are the numbers for those agencies. If bus drivers are more likely to be sick, then how do MARTA drives compare to bus drivers from other Atlanta agencies. Let's compare apples to apples.
MARTA does need to address this issue, because it directly impacts passengers and Keith Parker is making changes to make improve things for passengers. I think if employees are abusing the system, then they need to be let go, because there are others willing to get the chance to work for a state agency.
I am glad you mentioned 'Atlanta=MARTA', which is why when changing the name is suggested, it should be shot down, because as you stated, people across the country know what MARTA is.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 AM
bu2

8,981 posts, read 5,685,699 times
That's absolutely unbelievable. I've never heard of anyplace with anything approaching that.

They've got to get a deal with the union to control that or outsource those services-drivers, maintenance. No wonder they can't build anything. And they've become more efficient!!!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 AM
bu2

8,981 posts, read 5,685,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
This state is too redneck,backwards, conservative and racist to want to support much needed mass transit expansion. There really is no point in sugar coating it.

There is tons or empirical evidence that more mass transit is overall better for a metro area and society as a whole. Let's just call the anti-transit crowd what it is and stop pandering to stupid.
85% of the people in Atlanta drive alone to work. 4% use mass transit. Until you grasp those numbers, you just look stupid calling the 85% names. More people telecommute than use mass transit.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,118,630 times
Caleb I don't know why you even bother. I don't post anything on here for those who may share your particular sentiments and outlook on life. Those days are over.

So I honestly don't expect a reply on anything I post at all. Past "conversations" have shown that tribal-affinity trumps any meaningful discussion more often than not.

It would do wonders for your sanity if you do things the same way. The reactionary stuff is soooo grade school.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
85% of the people in Atlanta drive alone to work. 4% use mass transit. Until you grasp those numbers, you just look stupid calling the 85% names. More people telecommute than use mass transit.
Not all office jobs are setup for teleworking. I work for a county government and they wouldn't know what to do with teleworking.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,118,630 times
The amount of controversy GDOT deals with in the last few years...and yet that agency is still funded with no questions asked.

But everyone and their momma wants to act like the commonplace workforce issues that MARTA deals with is the end of the world.

Like I said, perception is reality. And our media does a heck of a job creating some extremely toxic perceptions lacking context and nuance.

Too bad though that some folks are merely content with letting the media and their own innate bias filters do the job of thinking for them.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The amount of controversy GDOT deals with in the last few years...and yet that agency is still funded with no questions asked.

But everyone and their momma wants to act like the commonplace workforce issues that MARTA deals with is the end of the world.

Like I said, perception is reality. And our media does a heck of a job creating some extremely toxic perceptions lacking context and nuance.

Too bad though that some folks are merely content with letting the media and their own innate bias filters do the job of thinking for them.
Especially the AJC, they are the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or