Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times

Advertisements

Wow, quite a spectacular display to see the nimbys in full throat with the link (it does work, good job!) LL provided.

But who's to say a church couldn't move into the premises at some point anyway, unless we consider crunchy capitalism and a higher buying power a kind of religion in itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
That message is ridiculous in its hyperbole.

That said, the location is not right and Smyrna has many locations along South Cobb available and South Cobb needs to be improved.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Good analysis. My main issue is the potential addition of another light on Paces Ferry, probably no more than 150 yards from the ones at Spring Hill Parkway and Spring Hill Road.

I wonder if they'll reveal the name of the grocery vendor. If it were something attractive and lacking in the area, like Trader Joe's, that could help sway public opinion.
Why does everyone like Trader Joe's? There is one near me and it has nothing I want to buy. It mostly has cheap snack foods and prepared frozen dinners (frozen thai meatballs in a bag ??)--very little and poor quality produce and meat. Give me a Publix or a Whole Foods any day. Trader Joe's is like what would happen if World Market ran a gas station mini mart.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
This Cobb County zoning case #A-87 will NOT be heard at the October Planning Commission hearing as stated. It has been 'continued' for 30 additional days to the November cycle. In the meantime, the applicant is planning at least one and perhaps two community meetings to address the concerns expressed by the neighbors.
Mike Terry

correction...case # is Z-87, not A-87, and the meeting dates have not yet been established.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:42 AM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Oh dear Lord...

It is so hard to take this seriously.

This is like MASSIVE, embellished, enormous, and... over-exaggerated nimby-ism at its worse. Just read the tone and way they play this thing.
100% agreed. This development may or may not be a good idea, but every time something like this is proposed in Cobb, there is a vocal minority of CAVEs (citizens against virtually everything) that turn off their Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy to become community activists.

That website makes it sound like an ISIS training camp with a nuclear reactor is moving next door. If it was 1 mile away, they wouldn't care one bit about "the good of the community." NIMBY-ism at its worst.

And IMHO, that stretch of Paces Ferry has become an outdated eye-sore and is desperately in need of a makeover.

1958 called and wants its split-level ranch house back.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:45 AM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Terry View Post
This Cobb County zoning case #A-87 will NOT be heard at the October Planning Commission hearing as stated. It has been 'continued' for 30 additional days to the November cycle. In the meantime, the applicant is planning at least one and perhaps two community meetings to address the concerns expressed by the neighbors.
Mike Terry

correction...case # is Z-87, not A-87, and the meeting dates have not yet been established.

Mike, thank you for the update. I appreciate the work you guys do!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:56 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post

LOL - the older homes are those that face directly on Paces Ferry Road, there are quite a few new more expensive homes in that area.

I am curious about the Senior Housing part of the project - I don't see much information. Are they talking about Senior Independent Living?

Not sure why everyone hates this idea. Many of these properties are quite upper middle income and becoming more popular as parents are locating close to their adult children. They also bring below average traffic.

My mom lives in a very nice place in Alpharetta (closer to my sister) but that type of property I think would be excellent for the area.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Everybody else is a silly NIMBY until massive development and traffic comes to THEIR backyard.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:28 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Oh dear Lord...

It is so hard to take this seriously.

This is like MASSIVE, embellished, enormous, and... over-exaggerated nimby-ism at its worse. Just read the tone and way they play this thing.
I dunno...if I saw Fuqua's name attached to anything coming near me, I'd be hesitant to say the least.

That being said, the plans don't look too far out of whack, but if I owned one of the houses on Estates Lane, I'd want some pretty detailed plans about what was going on literally at my back yard. Will they lose the tree separation? Will they now be overlooking a noisy parking lot with little barrier? I've lived in an apartment overlooking the loading docks of a retail strip mall. It wasn't the most peaceful location. This could easily kill the value of those houses, making it quite important for them.

About the only time I tell the NIMBYers to shove it is when a development that will truly transform an area is in question. This doesn't meet that criteria.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
And IMHO, that stretch of Paces Ferry has become an outdated eye-sore and is desperately in need of a makeover.

...from one extreme to another. Not everything can or should be shiny and new.
Aside from that, the only "eye-sore" I can think in that stretch of road is the empty building at the corner of it and Atlanta Rd. There's not room to put much else in that spot and seeing that building cleaned up would have more character than whatever chain that built new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta