Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times

Advertisements

While I think most here to appreciate the concerns of those impacted, the document noted in this thread was insanely biased and full of hyperbole. Also, it's a special kind of nimbyism to join this forum just for this thread..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:19 PM

559 posts, read 832,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
That is a building that begs for local walkability. If you could put in a great coffee shop like Rev Coffee where many of your patrons walked to your store instead of drove (since getting in an out is not ideal).

I was also wondering if it could be converted into residential - industrial conversion type of property. I am not sure how bad the noise is at that corner. I would definitely breakup the parking lot and put in some yard and trees to soften the exterior.
Nice idea, but I don't think that lot has the parking to meet code. Almost going to have to be a low-volume service business like lawyer or accountant.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaNeighbor View Post
Those who would over-simplify this as NIMBY need to pause for a bit of empathy. The people who are fighting against the proposal LIVE in the area. Their daily lives, children, and peace will be impacted by the undisputed traffic and noise that accompany commercial development.

They did not purchase homes by a commercial tract...they bought homes by a Church. This is a neighborhood.

Before you criticize the concerns of the neighbors and property owners: Would you really want a shopping center with all of its traffic and noise in your own neighborhood?
The impact is being vastly over estimated.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaNeighbor View Post
Those who would over-simplify this as NIMBY need to pause for a bit of empathy. The people who are fighting against the proposal LIVE in the area. Their daily lives, children, and peace will be impacted by the undisputed traffic and noise that accompany commercial development.

They did not purchase homes by a commercial tract...they bought homes by a Church. This is a neighborhood.

Before you criticize the concerns of the neighbors and property owners: Would you really want a shopping center with all of its traffic and noise in your own neighborhood?
You raise some concerns that ought to be addressed.

Any time you bring in more density and commercial, traffic is going nowhere but up. The residents still have to be able to go to work, take their kids to Little league and so forth.

Also, what about loss of tree cover, increased water runoff, and spillover lighting from the commercial? Is there a buffer and if so how much and who will take care of it?

Noise has to be taken into account as well. Nobody wants to hear commercial dumpsters banging around at all hours of the day and night or delivery trucks idling outside their back door.

All those things can be addressed but you have to specific agreements for them in writing.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Why does everyone like Trader Joe's? There is one near me and it has nothing I want to buy. It mostly has cheap snack foods and prepared frozen dinners (frozen thai meatballs in a bag ??)--very little and poor quality produce and meat. Give me a Publix or a Whole Foods any day. Trader Joe's is like what would happen if World Market ran a gas station mini mart.
OK, I go along with you with a lot of frozen food, but a lot of people don't like to cook and it has a wider variety than the average grocery store.

iI personally like the almonds, breads, olive oils, cheeses, wines, yogurts, and the vegetables. I'm not saying it's a farmer's market but I did not even know Brussels sprouts grew on a stalk before purchasing many there. As far as things go, Whole Foods is like an over priced Costco, but I will admit they have the widest variety of spices. I have found things in there that I couldn't find at Penzeys.

I guess the gist of it is that Whole Foods charges entirely too much money for what they are selling. Publix is only slightly above Kroger in qualitr. Fresh Market and Trader Joe's are about equal in status if not in selection and price. Trader Joe's is likely popular because while not being at the bottom or the top, it's in the middle.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:34 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Why does everyone like Trader Joe's? There is one near me and it has nothing I want to buy. It mostly has cheap snack foods and prepared frozen dinners (frozen thai meatballs in a bag ??)--very little and poor quality produce and meat. Give me a Publix or a Whole Foods any day. Trader Joe's is like what would happen if World Market ran a gas station mini mart.
We are likewise underwhelmed. Limited selection and mediocre quality at best.

I'll take a regular grocery store any day, including one of the nice Krogers.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:42 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We are likewise underwhelmed. Limited selection and mediocre quality at best.

I'll take a regular grocery store any day, including one of the nice Krogers.
I think it is a given that the church is going to srell their plot of land. Aside from a grocery store of any type, do you have a personal preference of what you'd like to have located there?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,672 times
Default Missing the Point

Quote:
The commercialization at the location in general is my primary objection not the type of commercial per se. The developer is requesting to change the current zoning of this property to RM-12 which would allow for everything that you typically see in a standard strip mall (nail salon, dry cleaner, mattress shop, hair salon,fast food concept and whatever else fits that zoning). Any lessee of said retail space can come and go (natural grocer today, discount chain tommorrow). If the zoning is changed the community has very little say regarding the type of business that will pop up, that will be handled by the leasing agent. Frankly this community does not need any more commercial development there are thousands of empty sq. feet of retail space in this district... just take a drive down Atlanta Rd or the EW Connector.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,672 times
Default Minimizing impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
I live very close and support the idea with some changes.

Give Estates home owners more buffer, build in pedestrian connections to the Silver Cmet spur that runs past th property and provide traffic calming measures on Spring Hill Road....looking forward to the new amenities so close.
Take a map and look at the neighborhoods surrounding this proposed development. There are 2 big ones directly across the street from the site. There are hundreds of homes that will be impacted. Sidebar - there are already walkable amenities in this area, if you live here take a walk to ivy walk, or downtown vinings both are within a mile and offer great restaurants and shops.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:44 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycar View Post
The commercialization at the location in general is my primary objection not the type of commercial per se. The developer is requesting to change the current zoning of this property to RM-12 which would allow for everything that you typically see in a standard strip mall (nail salon, dry cleaner, mattress shop, hair salon,fast food concept and whatever else fits that zoning). Any lessee of said retail space can come and go (natural grocer today, discount chain tommorrow). If the zoning is changed the community has very little say regarding the type of business that will pop up, that will be handled by the leasing agent. Frankly this community does not need any more commercial development there are thousands of empty sq. feet of retail space in this district... just take a drive down Atlanta Rd or the EW Connector.
There is a development planned near us, and although it is mixed use, the developers came to an NPU meeting and had it put in some sort of documents the types of businesses that residents did not want in the development. Not sure if those kinds of things are different with different types of zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta