U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times

Advertisements

I bought my last car in South Carolina, which charges (or used to charge) a flat $300 tax on all new car purchases. My understanding is that in the past, when registering a car in Georgia, you got a credit for paying the tax in South Carolina and there was some kind of transfer of funds. Or something.

Anyway, the SC dealership didn't charge me their tax because they were confused about how Georgia's title tax worked, and when I registered my car with Chatham County they assumed that I had already paid a portion of the tax to South Carolina and credited me $300. So I ended up paying a one-time title fee of around $470 to the state of Georgia and as long as I own this car, my only annual charge will be the $20 decal renewal.

LESSON: When purchasing a car, you ALWAYS pay the tax to the state and county WHERE YOU RESIDE ... NOT where you buy the car!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 1,032,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
This actually happened to my mom. Had a $30K car for 9 months when it got totaled. Not her fault at all. now, this was before the new tax and still, I don't know if insurance would cover taxes for getting a new car when she never planned on it. Not sure how that works.

So I think someone answered this already. Still, to me the entire thing sounds like robbery. I wonder if that is why so many auto companies have decided to move to Georgia-provides a system that takes from the masses in order to support their billion dollar industry and not to forget, the workers they pay little-to-nothing in spite of all the work placed upon them.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:00 PM

991 posts, read 515,894 times
What do you think auto manufacturers get out of this?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
Well for the last 2? Years, Auto Manufactures don't have to pay the TAVT on leased cars,

So they Lease cars to there employees, so they get to drive cars and not have to pay the TAVT tax.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:48 AM

149 posts, read 123,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
These people who want a tax refund if their car is totaled or sold just crack me up. Why are cars so special? I don't get a refund on the sales tax I paid if I drop my iPhone and have to replace it. If I sell my house, I don't get credit back for this year's property taxes I just paid. You pay TAXES to pay for the ROADS you drive on. The gas tax alone is not enough.

City-Data should have a rule that if you complain about a tax, you have to propose a different one to offset it.
You asked a question, and then you answered it. You are paying for extended use (let's call them tax credits) of the roads through a vehicle use tax, yet that extended use (or tax credits) can be taken away for reasons outside your control (vehicle accident, weather event, State trash truck backs into it, whatever). You then have to purchase another extended use tax that overlaps the first purchase. Get it?

Here is my alternate proposal: A progressive tax system where a vehicle owner pays for their vehicle use yearly, based on a percentage of the vehicle's value. If you are forced to change vehicles, you are credited the remaining tax balance at a prorated amount to be applied to the new vehicle. Tax cycles can be based on birthday, last name, street address, etc. You know, the system that most states use.

Your iPhone is different. You pay for a sales tax. You pay one of those for your car too. You also pay a use tax for you iPhone, but it is included in the service bill. If your iPhone breaks and you buy a new one, do you pay two cell phone bills that month?

As far as fuel taxes, if they are not enough to cover vehicle infrastructure related expenses, then they should be raised and/or reallocated (I believe a portion of fuel taxes for towards schools. Why is that?)

Old 09-15-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
It is 100% a favor to the citizens. How so? People who bought and sold cars privately, outside of a dealership, usually failed to pay the sales tax they should have. Some Georgians' failure, or refusal, to meet their own tax obligations meant that everyone who did do it the right way had to shoulder a larger burden of the responsibility. Changing it means that there's no way for people to avoid paying the tax that they should be paying, so it is much more fair—and thus a favor—to everyone who registers a car.
Sales tax apply only to goods sold by a registered business. You must be a used car salesman.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I bought my last car in South Carolina, which charges (or used to charge) a flat $300 tax on all new car purchases. My understanding is that in the past, when registering a car in Georgia, you got a credit for paying the tax in South Carolina and there was some kind of transfer of funds. Or something.

Anyway, the SC dealership didn't charge me their tax because they were confused about how Georgia's title tax worked, and when I registered my car with Chatham County they assumed that I had already paid a portion of the tax to South Carolina and credited me $300. So I ended up paying a one-time title fee of around $470 to the state of Georgia and as long as I own this car, my only annual charge will be the $20 decal renewal.

LESSON: When purchasing a car, you ALWAYS pay the tax to the state and county WHERE YOU RESIDE ... NOT where you buy the car!
Why would they assume that? You present a Bill of Sale when you register your car that should outline every dollar spent on the car. If you did or did not pay taxes to the dealer, it would show up there.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 AM

2,069 posts, read 1,997,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
What do you think auto manufacturers get out of this?
It removes a large portion of the incentive to buy used cars from private individuals, and makes trading in your current vehicle to a dealership more attractive. If you buy a $25,000 car and the dealership gives you $5,000 for your trade-in . . . you only pay TVAT on $20k, saving you several hundred dollars. Even though the dealer is going to offer you less for your trade in then you could get selling it privately, the tax savings make up enough of the difference that selling it yourself isn't worth the time/frustration/hassle.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 AM

130 posts, read 146,164 times
Has anyone introduced a bill that will repeal the georgia tavt????

Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,997,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southman View Post
Has anyone introduced a bill that will repeal the georgia tavt????
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta