Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoflin View Post
I wouldn't even mind so much if they or people didn't try to spin it as if they were doing it as a favor to the citizens.
It is 100% a favor to the citizens. How so? People who bought and sold cars privately, outside of a dealership, usually failed to pay the sales tax they should have. Some Georgians' failure, or refusal, to meet their own tax obligations meant that everyone who did do it the right way had to shoulder a larger burden of the responsibility. Changing it means that there's no way for people to avoid paying the tax that they should be paying, so it is much more fair—and thus a favor—to everyone who registers a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:52 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
When you sell you house you do get credit for Property Taxes payed but not used.

On the closing worksheet, (HUD Form), there will be a Credit to you for the Pre-Paid Property taxes, and a debit to the buyer side of the worksheet.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:49 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
These people who want a tax refund if their car is totaled or sold just crack me up. Why are cars so special? I don't get a refund on the sales tax I paid if I drop my iPhone and have to replace it. If I sell my house, I don't get credit back for this year's property taxes I just paid. You pay TAXES to pay for the ROADS you drive on. The gas tax alone is not enough.

City-Data should have a rule that if you complain about a tax, you have to propose a different one to offset it.
Probably cause the tax is so dang much. I paid something like 30 bucks on my phone for tax. Not worried at all about it. Not to mention it takes a lot to total a phone and I've never come close to it. And I expect to buy a new phone every 3-4 years, I expect to keep a car hopefully for 15 or more. And selling a house you can at least plan around somewhat. A totaled car is usually not in the plans.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:20 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
I just feel sorry for all the people who have to pay the title tax and only plan on living in Georgia for a year or two. It's seems like robbery, especially considering that many people have already paid a sales tax in another state and end up having to pay it again when they come to Georgia. And I saw someone just mention something about a totaled car. What if your car gets totaled and you haven't had it for long (let's say less than a year)? Would you still be forced to pay the full title tax when buying a new car? And I get the point that it would get complicated to figure a way for people in this situation to not pay the full amount but I just can't imagine having to pay it all over again so soon.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 PM

102 posts, read 179,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
...so it is much more fair—and thus a favor—to everyone who registers a car.
This seems like a complete over generalization. I admit there are some perks and some citizens come out ahead. However yet again unless I am fundamentally misunderstanding the issue, this new tax substitutes a "birthday tax" typically paid each year. For someone who has a car from out of state they have already been paying taxes to their former state on, comes here for a year or two for business or other reasons....has to pay the GA Title tax then is transferred out of state again...this is not "a favor" to them. Or to someone who just had their new car totaled in an accident not of their fault. So no it's not "much more fair" to "everyone" as you put it. With a "birthday tax" those here for a few years would pay their fair share in taxes for the years spent living here then when they moved they would cease paying because they no longer use the roads. It's like spending for an all day pass at a theme park when you end up having to leave by noon. Just because you benefit from it doesn't negate the people who get the short end of the stick on the deal...at least most of us opposed to the tax don't try to generalize the tax is bad for everyone.

People on this thread who are saying we should propose an alternative plan or are accusing us opposed to this tax of being ignorant of the fact we need to pay taxes to support the roads we drive on are acting like there wasn't a system in place beforehand when people paid annually. Was this system perfect? No. However I think there are a lot more what ifs and holes where the citizen is potentially screwd over in this new tax than the old one.

Last edited by ncoflin; 09-12-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I just feel sorry for all the people who have to pay the title tax and only plan on living in Georgia for a year or two. It's seems like robbery, especially considering that many people have already paid a sales tax in another state and end up having to pay it again when they come to Georgia. And I saw someone just mention something about a totaled car. What if your car gets totaled and you haven't had it for long (let's say less than a year)? Would you still be forced to pay the full title tax when buying a new car? And I get the point that it would get complicated to figure a way for people in this situation to not pay the full amount but I just can't imagine having to pay it all over again so soon.
This actually happened to my mom. Had a $30K car for 9 months when it got totaled. Not her fault at all. now, this was before the new tax and still, I don't know if insurance would cover taxes for getting a new car when she never planned on it. Not sure how that works.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:54 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southman View Post
$75k new diesel truck= $5250 in TAXES!!!
I mean, you don't have to pay more taxes the entirety of when you own the car, but I think it's pretty ridiculous tax to "try" to keep everyone in the state.

You have no idea what I have to pay for the car that I bought when I was in another state. I pay the state tax there, then GA ask me to pay something ridiculous here.

With Porsche and Mercedes HQ coming to GA, and other luxury brand names thinking about coming here, the only people that's getting screwed are the people who live here!

Meanwhile the Mayor gets a kickback, yet the development for these businesses get a tax break from the residents of GA. Yes, it comes out of your, soon to be gone, middle class paycheck. It's surely not coming out of the any politicians pocket.

You're smart. Look this up online.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:01 AM

561 posts, read 780,531 times
FYI. In GA, if your car is totalled, the insurance company IS supposed to pay you taxes on the totaled car they purchase from you. I work for an insurance company and I pay out taxes on EVERY total loss in this state.

They are NOT responsible for paying your tax on the replacement car though. That's on you.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
FYI. In GA, if your car is totalled, the insurance company IS supposed to pay you taxes on the totaled car they purchase from you. I work for an insurance company and I pay out taxes on EVERY total loss in this state.

They are NOT responsible for paying your tax on the replacement car though. That's on you.
Good to know. Now, is that prorated for how long you had it/current worth? Or the full amount you paid

Old 09-13-2015, 12:46 PM

561 posts, read 780,531 times
It's based on the current TAVT of your car at the time of the accident/loss (for cars titled on/after March 1, 2013) as calculated by the GA Dept of Revenue website.

For all other cars titled before that date, sales tax is paid out based on the current actual cash value of your vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta