U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Who do you keep and who do let go? I don't want anyone from Dekalb's leadership representing me. Other counties/COA I'm fine with. The balkanization is an issue, but at it's core it's not just because of all these different entities, it's because that's how this metro area really is. This would muddy up local politics. Instead of having these different counties fight each other, it would just be more infighting. If we go back in time and start fresh, maybe it would work similar to Harris County, TX and a large City of Houston, but not likely with this much development having already taken place.
Being that I live in Houston, Houston definitely came in mind when I was reading the OP's post. Which has it's pros but definitely has it's cons. One con being infrastructure. Being that the city of Houston is so big it's literally some parts of the city outside the loop that fill like no man's land. And i'm wondering could there have been better infrastructure in certain areas that need it badly if this area was an official city or burb so it can have it's own government to govern these areas and provide it with much needed resources as other parts of the city that are neglected. I chunk that up to being that the city of Houston is so big that and spreads over a large chunk of land that you can't get to everything so it's first come, first served. As far as infrastructure's go in sprawling cities I actually like the way leaders in DFW built up the city and it's surrounding burbs. You don't have to deal with as many unincorporated areas that are unattractive or lacking much needed resources in DFW because it would be just another official burb/city that can handle their own problems. I don't know if that's how it is in Atlanta right now with it's many different counties/burbs/cities but trust me a mega county is not all what it cracks up to be especially when your covering lots of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 06:06 PM
bu2

8,969 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Who do you keep and who do let go? I don't want anyone from Dekalb's leadership representing me. Other counties/COA I'm fine with. The balkanization is an issue, but at it's core it's not just because of all these different entities, it's because that's how this metro area really is. This would muddy up local politics. Instead of having these different counties fight each other, it would just be more infighting. If we go back in time and start fresh, maybe it would work similar to Harris County, TX and a large City of Houston, but not likely with this much development having already taken place.
A larger city of Atlanta needed to happen before Sandy Springs incorporated. Brookhaven further seals off that route of consolidation.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:11 PM
bu2

8,969 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Being that I live in Houston, Houston definitely came in mind when I was reading the OP's post. Which has it's pros but definitely has it's cons. One con being infrastructure. Being that the city of Houston is so big it's literally some parts of the city outside the loop that fill like no man's land. And i'm wondering could there have been better infrastructure in certain areas that need it badly if this area was an official city or burb so it can have it's own government to govern these areas and provide it with much needed resources as other parts of the city that are neglected. I chunk that up to being that the city of Houston is so big that and spreads over a large chunk of land that you can't get to everything so it's first come, first served. As far as infrastructure's go in sprawling cities I actually like the way leaders in DFW built up the city and it's surrounding burbs. You don't have to deal with as many unincorporated areas that are unattractive or lacking much needed resources in DFW because it would be just another official burb/city that can handle their own problems. I don't know if that's how it is in Atlanta right now with it's many different counties/burbs/cities but trust me a mega county is not all what it cracks up to be especially when your covering lots of land.
Dallas stopped growing in the 50s, halting at a series of hills, not wanting to stretch their infrastructure. They didn't start again until the suburbs had already hemmed them in. Houston expanded too quick in the 50s, 60s and early 70s and had to stop and try to catch up in the 80s. To some extent its still catching up, but there's not really any logical area that it couldn't eventually annex except to the east where there are long established industrial suburbs. Atlanta seemed to have political issues (internal and external) stopping annexation.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Dallas stopped growing in the 50s, halting at a series of hills, not wanting to stretch their infrastructure. They didn't start again until the suburbs had already hemmed them in. Houston expanded too quick in the 50s, 60s and early 70s and had to stop and try to catch up in the 80s. To some extent its still catching up, but there's not really any logical area that it couldn't eventually annex except to the east where there are long established industrial suburbs. Atlanta seemed to have political issues (internal and external) stopping annexation.
This is true!

Old 09-12-2015, 08:18 PM

39 posts, read 23,315 times
Would rather cut my balls off.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,781,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcredskins View Post
Would rather cut my balls off.
Dull knife or sharp knife I can lend you either one?

Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,745,471 times
This will never, ever, ever happen. Add to that it, wouldn't change much in reality for regional issues or ice storms. It would make some feel better that the expansive city limits means a much a larger population, but that's about it...

Old 09-14-2015, 02:17 AM

1,993 posts, read 2,925,439 times
Love this idea!
I've always thought the exact same thing...

But with these "smart people" running things around Atlanta, it'll never happen...

Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,818,989 times
You listed all the pros, but what constitutes are there?

Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Should Atlanta annex some surrounding cities and go to a New York-sequel borough system? Yes. Should it gargantuan in size? Hells no, especial something 2000 square miles in size. Something like that only works in China, sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or