Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Great solution, very helpful. Thanks.
That is a great solution. That's the best solution there is in this amazingly free country that allows talent and hard work to prosper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 02:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
There are noise ordinances.

If they are really as raucous as you describe, call the police every time it happens.

Though I hate to say it, I think you're being a tad dramatic...do you really want us to believe you can smell a neighbor's fart?

Almost everyone who has lived in an apartment has a story like yours. I remember when I could swear the people above me were bowling on a regular basis. But the truth is, most apartments are built like crap, and the single act of walking around if you aren't mindful to be light footed can sound like the roof is caving in to the person below you. You certainly can't expect people not to do laundry or run dishwashers whenever they want. Remember, some people work different hours, and 1am may be when they get home from work. Are they supposed to wash clothes on YOUR schedule?

But it is true that there is such a thing as a bad neighbor. You have recourse when they break the law, but the truth is, there's really nothing you can do about a lot of the behaviors. You can wait for them to move out (usually people like the ones you describe end up not paying rent eventually and getting evicted), or you can move out.

In the end, you learned a lesson that every apartment dweller eventually learns: no matter what, always ALWAYS rent on the top floor.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:05 AM

590 posts, read 714,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
That is a great solution. That's the best solution there is in this amazingly free country that allows talent and hard work to prosper.
You'd be surprised how many young americans suffer from a psychological state of learned helplessness. Wherein they think that certain things about their life are what they are and thats all there is to it and nothing is going to change. I have personally heard people tell me that they'll never own their own home or own a nice newer(not brand new, just newer) vehicle simply because this is the hand they were dealt and its what they have live with. Its really bizarre to me how a person will actually tell themselves that there is no point of trying to do better in life and they accept the conditions they are in. This may not be the case with the OP, but I'm willing to bet that the OP does think its harder than what it really is.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:25 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
A friend and I have lived in a what USED TO BE a very nice little rental in the Dunwoody area for going on three years. We are on the bottom of two floors. Before now we have had no real issues with neighbor noise from folks above us. Never had confrontations and so on. NOW, omg, we got a new couple above us over the summer and our lives have become completely miserable in our home due to these imbeciles. Some things we put up with:

Stomping through the place like elephants at all hours, pacing pacing pacing, dropping what sounds like bowling balls on the floor, dragging heavy furniture back and forth at all and I do mean ALL hours. 3pm? Time to rearrange the entire apartment. 4AM? Great! time to rearrange the entire apartment. 6AM? Also GREAT! These places are a good size but I don't know how they find so many different ways to rearrange their belongings.

They sometimes play their TV so loudly that we can hear it from the parking lot. And don't even get me started on the volume of the crappy rap.

The man has this little mini motorbike thing that he will ride up and down through the apartment, again at any and all hours of the night. This is probably the loudest, most disturbing noise, things fall off the wall and shelves when he's riding.

LOUD friends coming and going at all hours. They start screaming from the parking lot, scream their way into the apartment, and somehow get louder and they start up the mindnumbing bass. They go all night sometimes, I'll see them stumbling out to their cars at 5/6AM.

At LEAST twice a day, the man will BELLOW out at the top of his lungs, "LET HER RIP" which will immediately be followed by very loud, prolonged, farting. We have unfortunately had to start shutting all our windows at all times because the noxious fumes would start seeping in OUR apartment. If his little friends are over they will start cheering him on as he does this, lots of WOOO!!! YEAH RIP IT BOY, etc.

So what can we do to return OUR home to the nice peaceful place it used to be? The landlord is located out of state, for repairs and so on they have local contractors they send but they really have no presence here. We have tried asking nicely repeatedly for some of these behaviors to be curbed. At first they were like, yeah sure, and would dial it down for awhile. Now they just get angry and either ignore and snap back rudely to "get F---ED", etc. We try things like banging on the ceiling with broomsticks but I don't think they can even hear it. Lease is not up until mid next year. There HAS to be something, we pay rent too and our entire lives are miserable because of these imbeciles. We get little sleep and cannot relax in our own home. HELP? I am currently spend the weekend out of state just to get some sleep and relaxation...Pathetic!

I think you're having fun on here. I don't care how loud someone farts I don't believe you're going to hear it downstairs in your unit. Or smell it for that matter.

You OVERDID it on your fake thread.

Should have just stuck with the moving furniture and loud friends.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:47 AM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
You'd be surprised how many young americans suffer from a psychological state of learned helplessness. Wherein they think that certain things about their life are what they are and thats all there is to it and nothing is going to change. I have personally heard people tell me that they'll never own their own home or own a nice newer(not brand new, just newer) vehicle simply because this is the hand they were dealt and its what they have live with. Its really bizarre to me how a person will actually tell themselves that there is no point of trying to do better in life and they accept the conditions they are in. This may not be the case with the OP, but I'm willing to bet that the OP does think its harder than what it really is.
I understand that you're using my thread to practice what you learned in college psych class and that's cool. But the advice to buy a house is simply not helpful *at this time*. I'd be looking at buying out the lease which means paying every month of remaining rent which isn't really feasible, again, *at this time*. On top of the fact that I'm likely relocating for work in a couple of years, I'd rather not buy a house I'd have to fool with selling very quickly.

And yes we can hear this guy farting, it's a combination of how loud and boorish the neighbors are and how thin the insulation is. I've lived in worse, places where I can hear coughing and normal voice talking. It's out there. An I exaggerating a bit out of total frustration, yeah sure, but man it's awful. Those who choose not to believe are certainly free to find other threads more to their liking.

Thanks for folks posting useful suggestions we appreciate it.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:58 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
I'd be looking at buying out the lease which means paying every month of remaining rent which isn't really feasible
That's not allowable in Georgia.

I don't think you're allowed to be charged for more than a month that you don't actually live there. Some places require a 30 day notice to vacate, I think a 60 day is also allowable (though that might be for not renewing, not for breaking).

Look up tenant law in Georgia. It's very specific, you can not be charged the remainder of your lease. If it's that bad, just break it and move on.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:10 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Quote:
I understand that you're using my thread to practice what you learned in college psych class and that's cool. But the advice to buy a house is simply not helpful *at this time*. I'd be looking at buying out the lease which means paying every month of remaining rent which isn't really feasible, again, *at this time*. On top of the fact that I'm likely relocating for work in a couple of years, I'd rather not buy a house I'd have to fool with selling very quickly.

And yes we can hear this guy farting, it's a combination of how loud and boorish the neighbors are and how thin the insulation is. I've lived in worse, places where I can hear coughing and normal voice talking. It's out there. An I exaggerating a bit out of total frustration, yeah sure, but man it's awful. Those who choose not to believe are certainly free to find other threads more to their liking.

Thanks for folks posting useful suggestions we appreciate it.
Maybe try go fund me thingy to buy out your lease?

Might get sympathy from those who've been there...

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Get a better paying job and buy your own house. Problem solved. Move out of the city...
You think THIS is the solution?? You think THEY are the ones with the problem?? You think THEY should move?? No, actually, it is the idiots that moved in who should be removed and banned from the apartment complex. Other people don't have to suffer due to their ignorance and moronic behavior. I have no tolerance for people who feel they have a right to violate the rights of everybody else. The complex owner doesn't have to tolerate it either. If the tenant does not follow rules they can be removed.

OP: start complaining and telling them you are going to get a lawyer and get out of the lease if they don't provide a safe, comfortable place to live. Know your rights as a tenant.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
You think THIS is the solution?? You think THEY are the ones with the problem?? You think THEY should move?? No, actually, it is the idiots that moved in who should be removed and banned from the apartment complex. Other people don't have to suffer due to their ignorance and moronic behavior. I have no tolerance for people who feel they have a right to violate the rights of everybody else. The complex owner doesn't have to tolerate it either. If the tenant does not follow rules they can be removed.

OP: start complaining and telling them you are going to get a lawyer and get out of the lease if they don't provide a safe, comfortable place to live. Know your rights as a tenant.
As someone who was made miserable by inconsiderate, loud neighbors several years ago, I regret that I wasn't more aggressive in complaining about them to get them evicted. I ended up being the one who moved out. It worked out well for me in the long run, but the OP shouldn't be the one who has to pack up and move.

And then there was this poster's helpful response :
Quote:
So, you don't OWN the house, yet you complain about it, without ever getting to know your neighbors?

Maybe you should just stay out of the state on permanent basis. .
Unbelievable!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Seriously? There isn't a big enough eyeball emoticon for this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta