U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,651,441 times

Advertisements

I still the best approach is to speak to them. I've only found a neighbor's noise unbearable twice.

The first who I have affectionately nicknamed stomper was all kinds of crazy, made the most noise, and I just would not know where to begin describing her behavior. She made the most noise in the entire building and called the courtesy officer on me one night when I was sound asleep. I wrote a very heated letter to management where I called her everything from a hooved beast to whatever I could think of to describe how loud she was. I don't know what the voices in her head were yelling, but even the management suggested she might be more comfortable in a SFH.

The second was doing what I don't know. After about a month, I went upstairs and asked if everyone was okay? It sounds like you start bowling around 11 each night. They stopped.

I even have a current annoyance that I can only describe as mostly different choices of music. Now, I should not be able to hear it loudly at all, but if I had to, I would prefer it not be what I think is mariachi. In short, I don't like it but it only goes on for like an hour so I let it slide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,896,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
A friend and I have lived in a what USED TO BE a very nice little rental in the Dunwoody area for going on three years. We are on the bottom of two floors. Before now we have had no real issues with neighbor noise from folks above us. Never had confrontations and so on. NOW, omg, we got a new couple above us over the summer and our lives have become completely miserable in our home due to these imbeciles. Some things we put up with:

Stomping through the place like elephants at all hours, pacing pacing pacing, dropping what sounds like bowling balls on the floor, dragging heavy furniture back and forth at all and I do mean ALL hours. 3pm? Time to rearrange the entire apartment. 4AM? Great! time to rearrange the entire apartment. 6AM? Also GREAT! These places are a good size but I don't know how they find so many different ways to rearrange their belongings.

They sometimes play their TV so loudly that we can hear it from the parking lot. And don't even get me started on the volume of the crappy rap.

The man has this little mini motorbike thing that he will ride up and down through the apartment, again at any and all hours of the night. This is probably the loudest, most disturbing noise, things fall off the wall and shelves when he's riding.

LOUD friends coming and going at all hours. They start screaming from the parking lot, scream their way into the apartment, and somehow get louder and they start up the mindnumbing bass. They go all night sometimes, I'll see them stumbling out to their cars at 5/6AM.

At LEAST twice a day, the man will BELLOW out at the top of his lungs, "LET HER RIP" which will immediately be followed by very loud, prolonged, farting. We have unfortunately had to start shutting all our windows at all times because the noxious fumes would start seeping in OUR apartment. If his little friends are over they will start cheering him on as he does this, lots of WOOO!!! YEAH RIP IT BOY, etc.

So what can we do to return OUR home to the nice peaceful place it used to be? The landlord is located out of state, for repairs and so on they have local contractors they send but they really have no presence here. We have tried asking nicely repeatedly for some of these behaviors to be curbed. At first they were like, yeah sure, and would dial it down for awhile. Now they just get angry and either ignore and snap back rudely to "get F---ED", etc. We try things like banging on the ceiling with broomsticks but I don't think they can even hear it. Lease is not up until mid next year. There HAS to be something, we pay rent too and our entire lives are miserable because of these imbeciles. We get little sleep and cannot relax in our own home. HELP? I am currently spend the weekend out of state just to get some sleep and relaxation...Pathetic!
I'm really sorry to hear about this. You can report them to your landlord when they return. That may help. Or you can just deal with it until your lease is up. Your back is really up against the wall. When I stayed in an apartment building...I figured since I was on the top floor I wouldn't have to worry about noise. What a mistake! I could hear doors slamming...kids running up and down the halls..loud talking..it was awful. I moved as soon as my lease was up.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:40 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,049 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU

Old 09-14-2015, 07:55 AM

7,707 posts, read 9,549,562 times
AND.....this is what I STILL notice all over Atlanta.

For the past couple of years, I've been watching all the apartments go up in the Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park area. When they're finished, they look beautiful, but if you watch them get built, you will notice that they are all made of plywood. There are fantastic layers of concrete that separate the residential apartments from the retail below, but between floors in the apartments, just crummy old plywood. Same thing with the walls. These are noise factories waiting to happen.

The best will be when they go condo. They'll be able to upgrade all the units with whatever the new bells and whistles of the time are, but they won't be able to go back and add insulation or sound barriers between floors. So someday, people are going to spend ridiculous sums of money for their fantastic intown condos, only to hear every footstep and alarm clock.

Novare may have built soulless glass and steel garbage, but at least they put 8 inches of concrete between each floor (though my friends tell me they can STILL hear upstairs neighbors when they walk with high heels on the hardwood floors).

So to all you current and future multifamily dwellers in the cool neighborhoods: have fun with noise! And you better pray a tornado doesn't come through town like it did in 2004. Those places don't stand a chance.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,353,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I still the best approach is to speak to them.
That doesn't always work. Ages ago when I last lived in an apartment I had problems with an upstairs neighbor. Late one night while he and his visitors were yelling and playing loud music I did exactly as you suggest. I went and talked to him to ask him to tone it down since we were trying to sleep and my wife had to get up at 5 AM. He told me he can make as much noise as he wants and that's just too bad for me.

So I called security. The security guard went and had a chat with the guy and got pretty much the same response.

So he called the police. They had a much less pleasant conversation with the resident. And the noise stopped. Not just that night, but for many nights thereafter. I found out later that the police told him "if we have to come out here again on a noise complaint then you are going to jail."

And that was that.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,476,112 times
Most apartments have a managing agent and house rules. I would check the house rules and have the managing agent write a formal letter to the unit owners saying fines will be issued unless their tenants follow house rules.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:45 AM

4,245 posts, read 2,828,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

For the past couple of years, I've been watching all the apartments go up in the Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park area. When they're finished, they look beautiful, but if you watch them get built, you will notice that they are all made of plywood. There are fantastic layers of concrete that separate the residential apartments from the retail below, but between floors in the apartments, just crummy old plywood. Same thing with the walls. These are noise factories waiting to happen.

The best will be when they go condo. They'll be able to upgrade all the units with whatever the new bells and whistles of the time are, but they won't be able to go back and add insulation or sound barriers between floors. So someday, people are going to spend ridiculous sums of money for their fantastic intown condos, only to hear every footstep and alarm clock.

Novare may have built soulless glass and steel garbage, but at least they put 8 inches of concrete between each floor (though my friends tell me they can STILL hear upstairs neighbors when they walk with high heels on the hardwood floors).

So to all you current and future multifamily dwellers in the cool neighborhoods: have fun with noise! And you better pray a tornado doesn't come through town like it did in 2004. Those places don't stand a chance.
We bought a brand new townhouse almost 11 years ago. It was essentially built from toothpicks and cardboard, but it's a great location (well, no amenities, but easy commutes!) and it's what we could afford. For the entire time, we've shared one wall with a yippee dog, and for a few years, we had babies on the other wall. In 11 years, we have heard almost nothing from either. Somehow, even though the places are built from crepe paper, they must have soundproofed the hell out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
That doesn't always work. Ages ago when I last lived in an apartment I had problems with an upstairs neighbor. Late one night while he and his visitors were yelling and playing loud music I did exactly as you suggest. I went and talked to him to ask him to tone it down since we were trying to sleep and my wife had to get up at 5 AM. He told me he can make as much noise as he wants and that's just too bad for me.
I tried the same thing, but it didn't end so well. When I was in college, I had to get up at 4am to drive four hours to a gathering of friends. So, I went to bed kind of early. My neighbors in the dorm were blasting music and having a raucous good time. I walked next door and said "Hey guys, I'm trying to get some sleep next door, so I'm just going to pull your door shut." I closed their door and went back to bed. About half an hour later, there was a huge pounding on my door. I opened it, and those two guys dragged me out in to the hall and started beating the crap out of me, telling me to never disrespect them again or whatever. I'm not a big guy and have no fighting skills, so I wasn't much of a match. A bunch of other guys pulled them off of me. Forgive me if I'm a little less than willing to go confront some loud obnoxious neighbors.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 7,595 times
Get a little can of mace. If they attack you, spray them in the eyes. This is legal if they attack you. Bear spray- the great equalizer

Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM

220 posts, read 175,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

To the OP, wow, what a mess. What's the next level when your landlord is an ***hole?
Many cities have rules and regulations that keep landlords in line,,when they are not taking care of business. Maybe yours does too. This is a landlord problem. There must also be peaceful living type laws and courts that mediate landlord tenant problems. The landlord needs to have them move out. If not and they are disturbing you to that extent seems like civil,action might be needed.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:47 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,484,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

The developers using wooden materials does not necessarily mean that the projects are shoddy construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta