Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:56 AM

666 posts, read 643,221 times

Advertisements

A friend and I have lived in a what USED TO BE a very nice little rental in the Dunwoody area for going on three years. We are on the bottom of two floors. Before now we have had no real issues with neighbor noise from folks above us. Never had confrontations and so on. NOW, omg, we got a new couple above us over the summer and our lives have become completely miserable in our home due to these imbeciles. Some things we put up with:

Stomping through the place like elephants at all hours, pacing pacing pacing, dropping what sounds like bowling balls on the floor, dragging heavy furniture back and forth at all and I do mean ALL hours. 3pm? Time to rearrange the entire apartment. 4AM? Great! time to rearrange the entire apartment. 6AM? Also GREAT! These places are a good size but I don't know how they find so many different ways to rearrange their belongings.

They sometimes play their TV so loudly that we can hear it from the parking lot. And don't even get me started on the volume of the crappy rap.

The man has this little mini motorbike thing that he will ride up and down through the apartment, again at any and all hours of the night. This is probably the loudest, most disturbing noise, things fall off the wall and shelves when he's riding.

LOUD friends coming and going at all hours. They start screaming from the parking lot, scream their way into the apartment, and somehow get louder and they start up the mindnumbing bass. They go all night sometimes, I'll see them stumbling out to their cars at 5/6AM.

At LEAST twice a day, the man will BELLOW out at the top of his lungs, "LET HER RIP" which will immediately be followed by very loud, prolonged, farting. We have unfortunately had to start shutting all our windows at all times because the noxious fumes would start seeping in OUR apartment. If his little friends are over they will start cheering him on as he does this, lots of WOOO!!! YEAH RIP IT BOY, etc.

So what can we do to return OUR home to the nice peaceful place it used to be? The landlord is located out of state, for repairs and so on they have local contractors they send but they really have no presence here. We have tried asking nicely repeatedly for some of these behaviors to be curbed. At first they were like, yeah sure, and would dial it down for awhile. Now they just get angry and either ignore and snap back rudely to "get F---ED", etc. We try things like banging on the ceiling with broomsticks but I don't think they can even hear it. Lease is not up until mid next year. There HAS to be something, we pay rent too and our entire lives are miserable because of these imbeciles. We get little sleep and cannot relax in our own home. HELP? I am currently spend the weekend out of state just to get some sleep and relaxation...Pathetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
I had the same problem once and can never again have someone living above me or share walls in an apartment because of what you describe.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:48 AM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
A friend and I have lived in a what USED TO BE a very nice little rental in the Dunwoody area for going on three years. We are on the bottom of two floors. Before now we have had no real issues with neighbor noise from folks above us. Never had confrontations and so on. NOW, omg, we got a new couple above us over the summer and our lives have become completely miserable in our home due to these imbeciles. Some things we put up with:

Stomping through the place like elephants at all hours, pacing pacing pacing, dropping what sounds like bowling balls on the floor, dragging heavy furniture back and forth at all and I do mean ALL hours. 3pm? Time to rearrange the entire apartment. 4AM? Great! time to rearrange the entire apartment. 6AM? Also GREAT! These places are a good size but I don't know how they find so many different ways to rearrange their belongings.

They sometimes play their TV so loudly that we can hear it from the parking lot. And don't even get me started on the volume of the crappy rap.

The man has this little mini motorbike thing that he will ride up and down through the apartment, again at any and all hours of the night. This is probably the loudest, most disturbing noise, things fall off the wall and shelves when he's riding.

LOUD friends coming and going at all hours. They start screaming from the parking lot, scream their way into the apartment, and somehow get louder and they start up the mindnumbing bass. They go all night sometimes, I'll see them stumbling out to their cars at 5/6AM.

At LEAST twice a day, the man will BELLOW out at the top of his lungs, "LET HER RIP" which will immediately be followed by very loud, prolonged, farting. We have unfortunately had to start shutting all our windows at all times because the noxious fumes would start seeping in OUR apartment. If his little friends are over they will start cheering him on as he does this, lots of WOOO!!! YEAH RIP IT BOY, etc.

So what can we do to return OUR home to the nice peaceful place it used to be? The landlord is located out of state, for repairs and so on they have local contractors they send but they really have no presence here. We have tried asking nicely repeatedly for some of these behaviors to be curbed. At first they were like, yeah sure, and would dial it down for awhile. Now they just get angry and either ignore and snap back rudely to "get F---ED", etc. We try things like banging on the ceiling with broomsticks but I don't think they can even hear it. Lease is not up until mid next year. There HAS to be something, we pay rent too and our entire lives are miserable because of these imbeciles. We get little sleep and cannot relax in our own home. HELP? I am currently spend the weekend out of state just to get some sleep and relaxation...Pathetic!

Get a better paying job and buy your own house. Problem solved. Move out of the city...

Old 09-12-2015, 10:52 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Get a better paying job and buy your own house. Problem solved. Move out of the city...

To the OP, wow, what a mess. What's the next level when your landlord is an ***hole?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:05 AM

666 posts, read 643,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Great solution, very helpful. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:20 AM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Great solution, very helpful. Thanks.
Well I'm sorry for being cynical but we used to have the same problem. Lived in a triplex once, bottom floor was ours (1500 sq. ft.) and there was a studio apartment on the back right corner, entire upstairs was one dwelling also same size as ours downstairs. Always hearing heavy footed obese people waking around, running their dishwasher, washing machine at odd hours. They claim the use of appliances at night was because energy is cheaper at night, which it is. They also had a dog and a cat that would CONSTANTLY make pitter patter sounds from running around all day. Well my wife and I had a baby, then another a couple years later...then things started to p*** me off, the noises were waking up the baby. I thought this is going to be the story of our life unless we change our current situation. Thats when we started thinking seriously about buying a home. Its really not that hard to do. If you can afford $800 a month rent, then you can afford a $130-$150k mortgage. As long as you dont live beyond your means there is no reason you can't own your own house. You dont have to settle for living the apartment life your entire life, unless you totally dont mind it, in which case my entire point is useless to you. But good luck

Old 09-12-2015, 11:28 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
I have a similar situation.
Run a hot shower, hot wash of laundry, hot dishwasher, hot water in all sinks at the time you think they are showering or wanting hot water. Tee hee. The broadzilla above me got the hint REAL QUICK cuz a ho loves her hot baths and it dawned on her I was going to be sure she would have no shower if I got no sleep.
Call landlord, keep a notebook of days and times.
Call the police about running a motorized bike indoors.
Move. Get the heck otta dodge if nothing makes them stop. There are other ideas i have but aren.t legal so I won. t
share them here.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:02 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I have a similar situation.
Run a hot shower, hot wash of laundry, hot dishwasher, hot water in all sinks at the time you think they are showering or wanting hot water. Tee hee. The broadzilla above me got the hint REAL QUICK cuz a ho loves her hot baths and it dawned on her I was going to be sure she would have no shower if I got no sleep.
Call landlord, keep a notebook of days and times.
Call the police about running a motorized bike indoors.
Move. Get the heck otta dodge if nothing makes them stop. There are other ideas i have but aren.t legal so I won. t
share them here.
Documenting everything that happens is definitely important.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:32 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
I think you're just going to have to wait them out, move, or be more direct.

While definitely sounding annoying, are they violating the lease? Is there a quiet hours clause like in a dorm?

However, if it were me, I'd make friends with them enough to say stop all that noise because it's getting on my effing nerves. Sometimes PC does not work and you have to speak to people in a tone they understand.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:59 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:

So, you don't OWN the house, yet you complain about it, without ever getting to know your neighbors?

Maybe you should just stay out of the state on permanent basis. That or make enough money so you buy your own house where you don't have to deal with this sort of "non-sense".

If anything, I'd complain it to your landowner, then he bring this issue up with specific house numbers to the HOA, then the management company send out a note saying, "stop being rude or we'll fine you", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta