U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, please i'm not trying to be negative just curious about something. So me and my fiancee are searching for apartments in the range of $900-$1,100 in Northwest Atlanta/Northeast Atlanta and burbs close to the Perimeter. It seems as though the majority of the apartments we're looking at tend to have very bad reviews. I have never seen so many nice "luxury" apartment complexes have so many bad reviews. I'm trying to understand from people who have actually lived in these areas. And to be more specific we've narrowed our searches down to Vinnings/Cumberland/Smryna/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Perimeter/ Chamblee/North Druid Hills/Marietta area and it just seem like so many are 2.7 and barley 3.3 in the review department. Our jobs would be on the north so of course we won't be living south. I'm assuming that it's so many bad reviews for the simple fact that the management companies controlling the apartments are taking advantage of the fact that it's so many people moving to the city. So aslong as they have apartments available people will come anyway. Maybe I can hear some personal experiences from people who have occupied apartments in those areas and can give me some more direct insight. I appreciate all the help so far btw! I love Atlanta so this is not a gripe against the city trust me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,476,872 times
People like to complain.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,647,202 times
  1. Expectations for service are high. It's hard to go from a place with 24 hour maintenance to one with incompetent maintenance that may take a month or never for that matter to resolve an issue. These different type of places can be side by side on the same street.
  2. Expectations for amenities are high. For example, if you lived in a place which will do everything from taking your clothes to the cleaners to dropping off your packages in your apartment while you're at work, then adjust to a place that won't even salt the walkways during a snow storm. Again, these apartments can be side by side.
  3. Now office staff-wise, there has been a shift from employees to contractors. You don't have any sort of relationship building because they don't really have a stake in the game. They could move on another comp;le4x tomorrow and there'd be no skin off their nose.
  4. Prices are higher than normal right now because it appears that older complexes are getting in all they can before the newer developments are completed. After that, the *** is up.

In my experience, apartment reviews come in two forms. One is residents who are so irritated that they are willing to post at all. The other is office staff. People satisfied or in the middle of the road generally don't care enough to make the effort to post a review so you don't get to hear from them.

The more you see from residents who don't big up a person on the office staff as the first words in their post, the more likely it is a valid review.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM

555 posts, read 452,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Hi everybody, please i'm not trying to be negative just curious about something. So me and my fiancee are searching for apartments in the range of $900-$1,100 in Northwest Atlanta/Northeast Atlanta and burbs close to the Perimeter. It seems as though the majority of the apartments we're looking at tend to have very bad reviews. I have never seen so many nice "luxury" apartment complexes have so many bad reviews. I'm trying to understand from people who have actually lived in these areas. And to be more specific we've narrowed our searches down to Vinnings/Cumberland/Smryna/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Perimeter/ Chamblee/North Druid Hills/Marietta area and it just seem like so many are 2.7 and barley 3.3 in the review department. Our jobs would be on the north so of course we won't be living south. I'm assuming that it's so many bad reviews for the simple fact that the management companies controlling the apartments are taking advantage of the fact that it's so many people moving to the city. So aslong as they have apartments available people will come anyway. Maybe I can hear some personal experiences from people who have occupied apartments in those areas and can give me some more direct insight. I appreciate all the help so far btw! I love Atlanta so this is not a gripe against the city trust me.
Honestly, the majority of reviews everywhere are bad. Especially on sites like Yelp. I live in downtown Bellevue, WA where there are numerous "luxury" apt and condo highrises and even the really nice ones (1 bd starting at $3000/mo) rate a 2.7 out of 5. It's just the nature of things. What I'm trying to say is, I definitely don't think it's an Atlanta specific thing at all. As another poster pointed out, people love to complain.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,223,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
  1. Expectations for service are high. It's hard to go from a place with 24 hour maintenance to one with incompetent maintenance that may take a month or never for that matter to resolve an issue. These different type of places can be side by side on the same street.
  2. Expectations for amenities are high. For example, if you lived in a place which will do everything from taking your clothes to the cleaners to dropping off your packages in your apartment while you're at work, then adjust to a place that won't even salt the walkways during a snow storm. Again, these apartments can be side by side.
  3. Now office staff-wise, there has been a shift from employees to contractors. You don't have any sort of relationship building because they don't really have a stake in the game. They could move on another comp;le4x tomorrow and there'd be no skin off their nose.
  4. Prices are higher than normal right now because it appears that older complexes are getting in all they can before the newer developments are completed. After that, the *** is up.

In my experience, apartment reviews come in two forms. One is residents who are so irritated that they are willing to post at all. The other is office staff. People satisfied or in the middle of the road generally don't care enough to make the effort to post a review so you don't get to hear from them.

The more you see from residents who don't big up a person on the office staff as the first words in their post, the more likely it is a valid review.
Yea that's my thoughts. It's not a lot of work to post a review, but it's only something you think of doing if you really really really care and most don't. And often it's just one thing that went wrong one time. If you consider restaurants, the people who came and ate once and were satisfied won't post anything. The ones who ate one bad thing once will complain. Skews results

Old 09-13-2015, 05:40 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,647,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Yea that's my thoughts. It's not a lot of work to post a review, but it's only something you think of doing if you really really really care and most don't. And often it's just one thing that went wrong one time. If you consider restaurants, the people who came and ate once and were satisfied won't post anything. The ones who ate one bad thing once will complain. Skews results
Exactly!

As another example, I have been getting manis and pedis since I was a teen which certainly wasn't just yesterday. It was not until I got the worst customer service of my life that I felt the need to seek the establishment out on Yelp to vent.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:11 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

True, me I've always been a modest fellow so I wouldn't care if a complex I decided to move to were lacking certain amenities like swimming pool or updated gym equipment. As long as I have a safe place to stay with no rats and roaches I'm good to go!

And it's also true about people who are satisfied with their stay won't be so quick to write a review. I notice most who tend to write a good review about their place are the ones that end up moving for whatever reason. I can actually attest to the fact about the bad review theory from my own personal experience. The apartment complex I live at now in Houston has been pretty decent at best and haven't had any major problem besides horrible parking but never cared enough to write a review about it. It wasn't till this new management literally tried to trick me into paying a $591.00 fee for moving out. As soon as that happen I was quick to write the nastiest review about the place, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Honestly, the majority of reviews everywhere are bad. Especially on sites like Yelp. I live in downtown Bellevue, WA where there are numerous "luxury" apt and condo highrises and even the really nice ones (1 bd starting at $3000/mo) rate a 2.7 out of 5. It's just the nature of things. What I'm trying to say is, I definitely don't think it's an Atlanta specific thing at all. As another poster pointed out, people love to complain.
Yeah I get it, I have to take these things with a grain of salt. I just look for certain keywords like rats, roaches, dangerous neighborhood(which could be tricky as well)unprofessional staff by more then 2 reviewers. Other meaningless complaints like, "up to date amenities, parking issues, insects outside the building,etc." don't bother me really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta