Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:13 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Not really, because your dog is in an area where small breeds are prohibited from being...so if you have a large breed dog that could harm a small breed, you should theoretically be able to take that dog to the large dog park without worry.
I've had my large breed dogs attacked by other large breed dogs. One of my boys was elderly and had some disabilities, so he was not in a position to defend himself from an attack. Why should he have to anyway?

It's the responsibility of the owner to know their dog's personality and to make sure it doesn't attack people or other dogs, small or large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Even if you think you know your dog's personality, dogs can often be unpredictable. My dog is prey-driven...small animals drive her crazy and she wants to chase them. If she had a small dog nipping around her heels she might turn around and snap at it in a second...but she is not normally an aggressive dog. This is just a natural reaction for many dogs and sometimes can't be stopped even with constant attention. Small dogs don't belong in a big-dog park and vice versa.

I agree that owners need to be more aware of their dogs while in a dog park. I'm always with my dog or at least have eyes on her at all times. She is my total focus while I'm in there, but we really don't go often because so many people don't pay enough attention to their dogs and I don't want us to end up a victim of their negligence. Dog deaths aren't taken all that seriously...they are treated as property, and we all know that they mean much more to us than that.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Male announcer: The white zone is for small dogs. . There is no big dogs in the red zone.
Female announcer: The white zone is for small dogs. There is no big dogs in the red zone.
Male announcer: [later] The red zone is for big dogs. There is no small dogs in the white zone.
Female announcer: No, the white zone is for small dogs and there is no big dogs in a RED zone.
Male announcer: The red zone has always been for big dogs. There's never small dogs in a white zone.
Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for small dogs, and which zone is for big dogs!
Male announcer: Listen Betty, don't start up with your small dog **** again.
[Later]
Male announcer: There's just no small dog in a white zone.
Female announcer: Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.
Male announcer: It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:20 PM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Male announcer: The white zone is for small dogs. . There is no big dogs in the red zone.
Female announcer: The white zone is for small dogs. There is no big dogs in the red zone.
Male announcer: [later] The red zone is for big dogs. There is no small dogs in the white zone.
Female announcer: No, the white zone is for small dogs and there is no big dogs in a RED zone.
Male announcer: The red zone has always been for big dogs. There's never small dogs in a white zone.
Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for small dogs, and which zone is for big dogs!
Male announcer: Listen Betty, don't start up with your small dog **** again.
[Later]
Male announcer: There's just no small dog in a white zone.
Female announcer: Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.
Male announcer: It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved.
Rep for the AIRPLANE reference.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 AM

150 posts, read 152,257 times
I think the Police should be enforcing these rules.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
I think the Police should be enforcing these rules.
I really hope you're not serious...

Let me add this to the thread:

Please be very very careful taking children to dog parks too! They are not playgrounds or places to "pet puppies." My parents witnessed a little girl about age 8 get half of her face ripped off by a seemingly friendly dog she'd been petting only moments before! The grandmother (who was visiting from overseas) had taken the girls to the park and allowed them to play with the dogs. It was horrific. My parents took the younger daughter home and had to explain to the father (complete strangers, btw) that his older daughter was in an ambulance headed to the hospital.

As friendly as dogs typically are, they are still animals and can be unpredictable. IMO, all people in dog parks should be experienced with dogs, and children under 13 or so should not go inside the fence (unless theirs is the only dog there, or some such situation.)

Old 09-15-2015, 08:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Really good advice! One time I saw a woman with a child in a stroller who would let dogs walk up and lick the child. It was cute, but all I could think of was that this could potentially be a recipe for disaster.

I wish everyone would remember that dog parks are fun places, but the whole point is for dogs to run off leash. Nobody has complete control of a dog that is off leash! And because dogs are such social animals, the pack mentality that can form quickly in dog parks makes them more prone to behavior that is different from what the dog would do in a normal situation.

Dog parks are fun and enjoyable. But be smart, and please remember, that everybody enters a dog park at his own risk. The above situation sounds absolutely horrible and tragic and is completely avoidable. Dog owners can not be held liable for the behaviors of their dogs in dog parks, they are enter at your own risk environments, so you have to be smart and proactive.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Yep, no one has a "right" to be in a dog park, and accidents are often just that: tragic accidents. But many are avoidable by doing simple things like the OP's title. And not taking small children. And, I'll add, many dog owners need to stop being so moon-eyed about their dogs. I cringe every time I hear someone say "my dog would never hurt anyone!" And they say it as if the notion is personally offensive to them. No. Dogs are animals. You cannot with 100% certainty that your dog won't hurt someone. IMO, the best dog owners are the one who are realistic and responsible with their dogs.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

There's a cafe/coffee house/restaurant somewhere south of I-20 with an attached dog park on the side that I intend to try. It's a little inconvenient for me to get to, but the major problem is I can keep forgetting the name of it.
You're thinking of Park Grounds in Reynoldstown.

ParkGrounds Atlanta / Reynoldstown Cafe and Coffee Shop: Welcome!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I really hope you're not serious...

Let me add this to the thread:

Please be very very careful taking children to dog parks too! They are not playgrounds or places to "pet puppies." My parents witnessed a little girl about age 8 get half of her face ripped off by a seemingly friendly dog she'd been petting only moments before! The grandmother (who was visiting from overseas) had taken the girls to the park and allowed them to play with the dogs. It was horrific. My parents took the younger daughter home and had to explain to the father (complete strangers, btw) that his older daughter was in an ambulance headed to the hospital.

As friendly as dogs typically are, they are still animals and can be unpredictable. IMO, all people in dog parks should be experienced with dogs, and children under 13 or so should not go inside the fence (unless theirs is the only dog there, or some such situation.)
Well said. Even the most loyal and gentle dogs can be startled or feel threatened. And quite possibly for reasons we humans do not appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta