U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:46 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,711,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I like Piedmont in Midtown and Burger Park in Smyrna.

There's a cafe/coffee house/restaurant somewhere south of I-20 with an attached dog park on the side that I intend to try. It's a little inconvenient for me to get to, but the major problem is I can keep forgetting the name of it.

Park grounds - reynoldstown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 AM

14,532 posts, read 7,198,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I don't take any of my dogs to dog parks ever. They're fine with each other but are intolerant of rude and pushy dogs and will NOT hesitate to put an ill mannered dog in his place. My breed of dog is catahoula and trust me, they don't put up with rude dogs at all. Just know what breed of dog you have and know the dog's personality and also observe the behavior. Some dogs just will not get along with other dogs.

I agree with this.

We don't take our dog to dog parks either as I feel that dogs are unpredictable in general and you can never tell what will happen. Also that due to not being on leases there is no way for a responsible owner to really "control" their dogs.

We have a larger dog and he has been super socialized but he doesn't like other dogs in general and is dog aggressive so we don't let him off the leash unless he his at home and running around the yard. I personally would just live somewhere with a yard big enough for a dog to run around and don't see the need really of a "dog park." I feel too many people are to "into" dogs and pets today in general but that is another story.

Our dog has never attacked another dog but has growled at little yappy dogs (especially my mother's dog, a jack russel, so we don't go over her house with our dog, a pit bull). He also looks, I can only say "angry" at other bigger dogs. We had an older dog prior to getting our current one who died a few years back who was also a pit bull but was super friendly to other dogs and people. The current one never had any problems with him but since the other one died he seems to only like people. Due to his aggression of dogs we are very wary of him around people too and keep him on a leash and tell people not to touch him. He is a beautiful dog and people are super crazy IMO and will just walk up to him and try to pet him. He is older now, about 7 years old and so we get worried that he may be cranky and not want to be bothered and may snap at someone so we take great care to stop people from touching him and never take him to dog parks at all.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
You said it.

We need to create a culture of speaking up in dog parks though. Too many of us -- me included -- want to be polite and not get involved.

And then all hell breaks loose.

Alley

It's ok to call an idiot an idiot on here as long as the idiot isn't on this board

Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,542,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
This country is too wissified (I can't use the real word that I want to use ) to help or say anything. You probably could have got sued if you help or called a bully if you said something. You did the right thing
This is a perfect example of the failure of "southern hospitality." Everything has to be peaches and cream, even when others are creating immediate dangers. If you speak up, all of a sudden you're the bad guy.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:48 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,999,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The problem is not with the size of the dog, but the lack of responsibility on the part of the owner of an aggressive dog. If you have an aggressive dog, it's your job to make sure that he is under control at ALL times.

That literally means 100% of the time, no exceptions, ever.
This exactly. I've never heard of a large dog attacking a small dog and I had a small dog for 16 years. We went to the park and even if my dog barked at the big dogs they just basically laughed ar my dog shook their heads and kept going. Me thinks this dog was just overly aggressive and does not need to be in the dog park period. That's from 16 years of experience.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 3,812,696 times
The dog park I go to has a big and small dog section, but no one ever uses the small dog section, because everyone else is in the big dog section, and the small dog people feel like pariahs. :-) I have to admit, I find myself getting annoyed when someone's dustmop (i.e., small dog) comes flying up to my dogs (40 lbs each) and start yapping and jumping on them. The owner thinks they are so "cute", and explains "he doesn't know he's tiny!" Finally, I sad, "Well, YOU do, don't you?" Mine will take a little bit of the yapping, but then walk away, bored with it. Invariably, there'll be a dustmop that will not get the message and chase. Then there's the quiet warning growl . . . and the dustmop's owner will frown and say something nasty about "aggressive dogs". My dog is not aggressive, but HER dog is an badly-behaved PITA. I then point to the small dog area and say that if their small dog can't play nicely wth the big dogs, they have their very own area they can play in.

The big dogs can't win. A lot of them don't like small dogs because they are confused by the barking and jumping around and see it as some sort of threat, or prey. The small dogs can come in their area and terrorize them, but the big dog's can't go in the small dog area. I used to just leave, but finally I got tired of it and am a little more assertive. "Look, if your dog can't play nicely with the big dogs, you're going to have to take it over to the small dog area -- it's not fair to expect us to have to police your dog while you're on your cell phone and your dog is annoying the other dogs." (Because they almost always have their nose stuck in their cell phone, only looking up when all the dogs start barking and growling at each other, and then wondering why all the big dogs are "picking" on her dustmop.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,588,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
I think the Police should be enforcing these rules.
The police have human issues to take care of...it's up to dog owners to be responsible, but a certain section of the population can't even be responsible for their children much less their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta