Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,689,423 times

Advertisements

They are dogs, they will figure it out. They feed off the owners energy, if the owner is calm then they will most likely be calm.
Not all dog parks can afford to have small and large dog areas, so it is the owners responsibility to have full control over their dog at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,253,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Mind if we ask which dog park?
There are 4 we have taken our girl to since moving here..2 we won't ever return to ever.
There was some kind of culture amongst some..."it's a dog park I don't have to watch my dog let him socialize while I do the same"

The dog park is out in Duluth called Chattapoochie.

Normally it's fine. Although, from now on I'm not going when it's busy. I'll take my dog when there's only two or three other dogs around in the early morning/later evenings.

Can you share the dog parks you didn't like?

We moved here last Nov. and are trying to figure this out too.

Alley

Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 AM

219 posts, read 269,125 times
I think the title should read: Please don't take dogs to dog parks who will attack other dogs.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,253,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
I think the title should read: Please don't take dogs to dog parks who will attack other dogs.
Well, yes. But really, both of our titles are right.

This little dog was being annoying, but about thirty other dogs in the park gnored him entirely. Only one dog attacked. So you're right.

But if I was the owner of the little dog, I wouldn't want to be "right" at the end of the day. I'd want my dog alive.

So both titles fit.

Alley

Old 09-14-2015, 09:08 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,962,159 times
A lot of these things can get really fuzzy (no pun intended).

For example, I used to go to Pickenyville dog park all the time, and a guy always brought his shih tzu into the big dog park because he also had a big dog that needed to run. So he also brought the shih tzu, who pretty much just minded his own business and walked around a bit. Never bothered me, but probably not the best decision since a big dog could kill the little guy in 2 seconds flat.

I always went on mornings during the week because it was what my schedule allowed at the time. The park regulars all told me to avoid the place on the weekends, because that's when irresponsible owners bring their dogs. Almost all of them had stories about how their dogs had been attacked by those dogs, and it's not really the kind of stories you'd expect. One of the friendliest pitbulls at the park was attacked by a German shepherd.

And a word on aggression: dog on dog aggression is extremely difficult to predict because of the complex social language dogs speak to each other and the pack mentality that can form at dog parks. I agree that aggressive dogs should not be brought to the dog park, but part of aggression training is socialization with other dogs. So if you are trying to socialize your dog, there may be a questionable period where you don't know what's going to happen, and you can't be in constant control of your dog in a free roaming environment (as was noted, leashes aren't preferred, or even permitted in some dog parks).

I know all this because I have a large dog that has gone to dog parks since she was 8 weeks old, even before you're supposed to bring them at all (I was committed to socialization). She's gotten into a couple of confrontations over the years, because she is quite dominant. So when other dogs get all up in her business, she's going to let them know she doesn't like that. Sometimes, that escalates. Even though I watch her nonstop, things happen quickly and two dogs having a confrontation can move quickly.

That's why it's best to be a dog park regular and go at the same time on certain days. That way, you get to know many of the people there and their dogs. My schedule doesn't allow it anymore, but when it did, we had a great culture at the dog park. All of our dogs knew each other and got along. When new dogs came in, they all got to know them individually. Most importantly, if there ever was a confrontation, any one of us could have broken it up. What I mean to say is, I would have been comfortable stepping in with any of their dogs and I wouldn't have a had a problem with one of them breaking up something involving my dog.

A lot of people panic at the dog park. Just because one dog is yelping and screaming, doesn't mean he is getting killed (some dogs just hate being pinned down, and that's how dogs play). And when two pitbulls play, to the untrained eye, it can look like they are killing each other because they are growling and biting each other's necks and wrestling. But most importantly, when dogs do get into a fight, you can't just run up to them and start hitting them. That's not how to break up a fight.

The bottom line with dog parks is you have to be prepared for anything and never take your eyes off your dog. Watch behaviors and curb situations before they escalate. You can usually (but not always) tell when things are starting to go downhill and a problem may start. Also realize that regardless of the situation, you assume all risk for your dog at all times in the dog park. There's no court of who started it, who was right, or anything like that...it's every man for himself and if your dog gets hurt or killed in the dog park, you have no recourse.

Be smart about it and get to know the other owners and their dogs. Watch what is happening and leave when you see a potential problem.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,544,543 times
Dogs are not allowed in the dog park.

People are not allowed in the dog park.

*crickets chirping*

I can't be the only person here that listens to Welcome to Night Vale.

I have no dog in this fight [see what I did there?], but I agree with cqholt that a dog's behavior is most heavily influenced by their 'master'.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:20 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
The dog park is out in Duluth called Chattapoochie.

Normally it's fine. Although, from now on I'm not going when it's busy. I'll take my dog when there's only two or three other dogs around in the early morning/later evenings.

Can you share the dog parks you didn't like?

We moved here last Nov. and are trying to figure this out too.

Alley
That's a cute name for a dog park. We did not like piedmont park and I think it's called Newtown Dream Dog park.
We enjoy Leita Thomson, Sweat Mountain dog park, and woofstock.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:23 AM

222 posts, read 241,679 times
The problem isn't small dogs or large dogs but irresponsible dog owners in general. Both small and large dogs can be equally annoying and aggressive if not held responsible for their actions. If you're afraid your large breed is going to harm a small breed you are as much a part of the problem as an irresponsible small breed owner.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,962,159 times
Quote:
If you're afraid your large breed is going to harm a small breed you are as much a part of the problem as an irresponsible small breed owner.
Not really, because your dog is in an area where small breeds are prohibited from being...so if you have a large breed dog that could harm a small breed, you should theoretically be able to take that dog to the large dog park without worry.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:06 PM

222 posts, read 241,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Not really, because your dog is in an area where small breeds are prohibited from being...so if you have a large breed dog that could harm a small breed, you should theoretically be able to take that dog to the large dog park without worry.
Thanks for taking my quote out of context. I never said taking a small breed to an area that they are specifically prohibited from. I'm talking about general dog parks that aren't breed or size specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta