U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:29 PM

142 posts, read 113,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Henry is ready to strap on an additional 1% tax I say let them do it.
There's no evidence of that though. This whole thread is based on the faulty premise that Holmes having a meeting means anything. He doesn't represent the vast majority of HC residents and definitely does not speak on behalf of the rest of the commissioners or county. People here want our taxes to go toward our infrastructure, schools, and taking care of our county. There are plenty of places extra taxes could go before being put toward rail. I am not against MARTA and hope it does expand. I used it plenty when I lived ITP. I just don't think there truly is a desire or need for it in Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Actually GA5mom, PTC would be the last place to ever approve Marta. Very anti-transit population and govt. Not that long ago they even voted down shuttle buses for the elderly and disabled.
Yes, agreed on that. I'm just saying of the south side counties, they have more of a population that commutes to and from the city. But I have no doubt they would be against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:46 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,619,291 times
Guys, there is nothing in this "article" that indicates Henry County wants MARTA. This was a single Commissioner doing his own thing.

Prepping for the future is fine, but there will be incredible resistance to MARTA coming in. I personally believe that GRTA is going to have to play a major role in commuter rail in the far out suburbs in order to get them to sign on.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,411,077 times
Imo, I have to Agree that Marta should stay in the Core counties. If Marta ran any local lines in Henry it should be no more than light expansions of Clayton Routes only like to Maybe 138 in Stockbridge. Commuter rail is needed though, but that should be from the state level, combined with Xpress services... One thing that does bug me on here though is how so many seems to think that all Growth is confined, will be confined and must be confined to the north side and the northern suburbs. There is no law that says that and it's funny how a lot of people don't know how much Henry County has grown and how much room it still has to grow... interesting... Got a feeling the new hot Toll lanes are going to boost and change Henry's dynamic as well

Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,820 times
I have a friend who lives in Hampton but works in Dunwoody. It seems like the commute nightmare of the year, and they don't even have a Park and Ride in Henry County so I can definitely understand why they would want MARTA to expand there. I have jokingly said she'd be better off commute-wise finding a job in Macon, but it is kind of true.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,052,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I have a friend who lives in Hampton but works in Dunwoody. It seems like the commute nightmare of the year, and they don't even have a Park and Ride in Henry County so I can definitely understand why they would want MARTA to expand there. I have jokingly said she'd be better off commute-wise finding a job in Macon, but it is kind of true.
She has a park and ride in Stockbride and Jonesboro, it's not like she has no options.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
She has a park and ride in Stockbride and Jonesboro, it's not like she has no options.
And in Hampton & McDonough. Henry does have P&R. She should check them out.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I am not that familiar with the area so I don't know. I mentioned that when she started having her sister drop her off at a train station (not sure which one) that I thought it would be quicker for her to just park and ride. She said those were not close to her.

Not sure if it matters location-wise, but her house is near the Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM

The Hampton P&R is 1.3 miles from Atlanta Motor Speedway. Here is the link for the Hampton-Downtown line. And then she would take the train up to Dunwoody from there.
Xpress...commuting made easy. Operated by the GA Regional Transportation Authority

Old 09-14-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA5mom View Post
The Hampton P&R is 1.3 miles from Atlanta Motor Speedway. Here is the link for the Hampton-Downtown line. And then she would take the train up to Dunwoody from there.
Xpress...commuting made easy. Operated by the GA Regional Transportation Authority

Oh great thanks! I will let her know.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,514,447 times
I cannot necessarily see a large-scale expansion of MARTA rail or bus service into Henry County as I agree with many of the previous posters that MARTA rail and bus service likely should generally stay confined to the five core metro counties of Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Gwinnett and Cobb with a few exceptions.

For a less densely developed and populated outer-suburban county like Henry, some type of state-operated regional commuter rail transit service would likely be the best option over the long-term (a future state-operated regional commuter rail transit service like a GRTA Xpress commuter rail and bus system, if you will).

For the short-term and the more immediate future, the expansion of the existing GRTA Xpress regional commuter bus service is most likely the best available option.

Though, if (and likely when) heavy rail transit service (MARTA or otherwise) is expanded south into Clayton County, a good option would be to route Henry County GRTA Xpress regional commuter buses to and from a future heavy rail transit station in the Southlake/Morrow area instead of routing Henry County GRTA Xpress buses all the way into Downtown Atlanta along an often severely-congested I-75 South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or