U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM

28,284 posts, read 24,902,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Maybe not quite that hip, but at least get some better tenants in there. I think Big Chow Grill is about the only decent draw there right now. Other than that it's a Subway, a news stand and some yawn gift shops.

Need to get some 25-year-olds in there to totally re-think and re-model and make it appealing for more than the out of state business people who just happen to be staying right there at the Waverly.

Capitalize on the majorly increased foot traffic that will come from the Braves, and just make the whole Galleria like sort of an extension of the Battery.
Well, KSM was developed by a bunch of old Cobb county boys. Seems like they could do the same thing closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 03:16 PM

584 posts, read 324,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm hoping that the area immediately surrounding Suntrust/Battery gets built up in an urban/walkable way as much as possible. So that even if it's still a drive-to island of density, it will at least be a larger island.

Also I'm hoping the bridge from the stadium to the Galleria will cause the Galleria Specialty Mall, which is currently really lame and quiet, to become something a lot better and more attractive and interesting. Maybe ditch the specialty/boutique concept, and just make it a bunch of restaurants and bars.
This is exactly what I'm referring to.

When I can drive over to the Braves game (from Birmingham) and park my car at a hotel a reasonable distance away and then go to a bar or restaurant within 1-2 miles from the stadium, I'll be there. We need to park the car on Saturday at 3:00 PM, and not get back in it until Sunday at 9 AM.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:27 PM

22,352 posts, read 16,373,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
This is exactly what I'm referring to.

When I can drive over to the Braves game (from Birmingham) and park my car at a hotel a reasonable distance away and then go to a bar or restaurant within 1-2 miles from the stadium, I'll be there. We need to park the car on Saturday at 3:00 PM, and not get back in it until Sunday at 9 AM.
Downtown has MARTA, Uber, taxis, etc and a much better bar/restaurant selection than Cumberland.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:37 PM

10,000 posts, read 6,998,255 times
I'd love to see a true urban / walkable node happen in Cumberland, but my hopes are not high.

People are not usually willing to walk much over half a mile between destinations. And that is usually when you have a pleasant walk with wide sidewalks, narrow streets with slow traffic, and interesting things along the way. Cumberland seems to be a half a mile minimum between destinations and those are narrow sidewalks along multi lane fast moving roads or giant surface parking lots.

For example a walk from the closest destinations in Cumberland Mall to the closest destinations in Aker's Mill Square "just across the street" will require at least half a mile of walking. By comparison, you could walk from Five Points to Peachtree Center in half a mile. Passing 7+ blocks of destinations along the way.

If you want a destination you can leave your car one place and walk everywhere, Cumberland is not that place. Not today and not in the near future.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 PM

9,630 posts, read 8,730,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Downtown has MARTA, Uber, taxis, etc and a much better bar/restaurant selection than Cumberland.
Hassle factor, cq.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 AM

I guess we should stop posting in this thread as the bridge is coming closer to reality, but the parking situation is not improving.
SunTrust Stadium Pedestrian Bridge is Becoming Reality - Curbed Atlanta
Quote:
SunTrust Park will seat 41, 500 people and has just 6,000 dedicated parking spaces. While there is 17 percent less seating compared to Turner Field, there is also 30 percent less dedicated parking, and no car-less options to reach the stadium.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 AM

687 posts, read 516,524 times
Quote:
I guess we should stop posting in this thread as the bridge is coming closer to reality, but the parking situation is not improving.
It'll be fine EQ....most people will be arriving by bicycle

Old 04-04-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
It'll be fine EQ....most people will be arriving by bicycle
Or zip lines...

Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,020,573 times
Quote:
Good thing parking sufficiency was one of the things used to justify the relocation. Can't wait to attend my last first day at a Braves game later this afternoon!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Good thing parking sufficiency was one of the things used to justify the relocation. Can't wait to attend my last first day at a Braves game later this afternoon!
Last opening day with MARTA access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or