U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 AM
 
Location: In your feelings
2,199 posts, read 1,489,619 times
Reputation: 2168

Advertisements

We'll see how much of that $1 billion is paid for with public money. But yes, Atlanta's virgin green spaces should be protected, especially when they sit in the midst of an area that's already developed beyond the local infrastructure's ability to support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2015, 12:45 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,939,659 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
We'll see how much of that $1 billion is paid for with public money. But yes, Atlanta's virgin green spaces should be protected, especially when they sit in the midst of an area that's already developed beyond the local infrastructure's ability to support it.
Cobb is immediately on the hook for over 1/3 of that billion. That is why it was so easy to move that pipeline. Huck nearly half a billion dollars of public money and you could have some pretty cool stuff...a lot more useful than a stadium. Another 1/3 of that billion is investment from the Braves and the last 1/3 is basically a big promise from the Braves that a lot of cool stuff will want to pile in b/c stadiums are renown for their ability to create thriving communities of retail and business.

I just rode through CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field yesterday and the area is a ghost town when no one is playing. The traffic situation makes the area unusable on game days and even their much better investment s on train/public transit can't fix the area.

I also spent a few days down at AT&T Stadium months back and during the week that area is more desolate than the surface of Mars. I wonder if pilots sometimes mistake the lots for a DFW runway. I was there to visit some warehouses and that's pretty much everything east of the stadiums b/c Dallas is all giant warehouses to begin w/ but no one w/ any money wants to live anywhere near there despite the Cowboys being the most valuable team in sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,149 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Crazy hate blinding you. The land was formerly considered undevelopable because there was a gas pipeline running through it. Only something of this scale could do it. To bring $1Billion in development there is astounding and there is just no way it will come close to your "net loss"

Furthermore the economic impact studies you mention are not applicable because there has NEVER been an MLB stadium move like this to a self developed ecosystem. This is unprecedented.
Marlins Park was proposed to be like this and nothing has been built, except the parking garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Downtown Marietta
1,062 posts, read 689,625 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Marlins Park was proposed to be like this and nothing has been built, except the parking garages.
Well, the Braves already have the tenants and there's no question that the retail, office and residential is being built. So, I am not quite sure what your point is. This is a first-of-its-kind development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,149 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Cobb is immediately on the hook for over 1/3 of that billion. That is why it was so easy to move that pipeline. Huck nearly half a billion dollars of public money and you could have some pretty cool stuff...a lot more useful than a stadium. Another 1/3 of that billion is investment from the Braves and the last 1/3 is basically a big promise from the Braves that a lot of cool stuff will want to pile in b/c stadiums are renown for their ability to create thriving communities of retail and business.

I just rode through CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field yesterday and the area is a ghost town when no one is playing. The traffic situation makes the area unusable on game days and even their much better investment s on train/public transit can't fix the area.

I also spent a few days down at AT&T Stadium months back and during the week that area is more desolate than the surface of Mars. I wonder if pilots sometimes mistake the lots for a DFW runway. I was there to visit some warehouses and that's pretty much everything east of the stadiums b/c Dallas is all giant warehouses to begin w/ but no one w/ any money wants to live anywhere near there despite the Cowboys being the most valuable team in sports.
This is why most stadiums are built in old industrial areas or lower income areas. AFCS was built on the site of the former Washington-Rawson neighborhood, a diverse neighborhood that fell victim white flight and urban renewal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,116,905 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Cobb is immediately on the hook for over 1/3 of that billion. That is why it was so easy to move that pipeline. Huck nearly half a billion dollars of public money and you could have some pretty cool stuff...a lot more useful than a stadium. Another 1/3 of that billion is investment from the Braves and the last 1/3 is basically a big promise from the Braves that a lot of cool stuff will want to pile in b/c stadiums are renown for their ability to create thriving communities of retail and business.

I just rode through CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field yesterday and the area is a ghost town when no one is playing. The traffic situation makes the area unusable on game days and even their much better investment s on train/public transit can't fix the area.

I also spent a few days down at AT&T Stadium months back and during the week that area is more desolate than the surface of Mars. I wonder if pilots sometimes mistake the lots for a DFW runway. I was there to visit some warehouses and that's pretty much everything east of the stadiums b/c Dallas is all giant warehouses to begin w/ but no one w/ any money wants to live anywhere near there despite the Cowboys being the most valuable team in sports.
Wait, wait wait I use to live in Arlington TX, Specifically North Arlington near the stadium Arlington is very populous it over 360,000 in just 99 sq mi.

First off you wasn't in Dallas or even Dallas county if you was near AT&T Stadium, You was in Arlington, a little to the east of the stadiums is a warehouse district similar to Fulton industrial but smaller, it share the bolder of Arlington and Grand Prairie.

"that area is more desolate than the surface of Mars."

That area which is North Arlington is actually 102,983 people. So you couldn't pick at worst area to make example. Cause that area is developed more denser than any part of metro Atlanta outside Atlanta.


North Arlington City data

In North Texas instead of having woods like metro Atlanta, North Texas has fields, so if an area is not develop instead of woods their will be open grassland. DFW is in the great plains. Arlington has a weird behavior it's sort like a DFW version of Anthem. Arlington is mainly developed suburban but developed a denser style of suburban with small home lots, sorta grided. The stadiums were not develop urban, they was develop like parks, yet again it's not edge city. Arlington not being a edge city makes north Arlington objective very different from Cumberland. Arlington leaders never seek the area to be like a major city regardless of it attractions,

Also North Arlington is competing with South Arlington with retail The Parks in South Arlington

1. You describe that area wrong, 2. Cumberland has more urban ambitions than Arlington.


http://www.packagingsourceinc.com/wp...op-display.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 07:35 AM
 
9,907 posts, read 6,897,659 times
Reputation: 3012
chiatldal - I don't see a single home or business in the foreground of that picture. Just six flags and stadiums surrounded by empty space and parking lots. I don't think that Arlington makes a good case at all for stadiums promoting more urban-ness. And Arlington being "just 99 sq mi" is not really a good comparison to help you case considering that Atlanta proper is "just 132 sq mi" and Atlanta is still relatively sparse itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: ATL -> HOU
4,129 posts, read 3,223,086 times
Reputation: 3149
Probably because the immediate foreground is all roller coasters from Six Flags but I could be mistaken. Looking at images of Six Flags over GA I also see more roller coasters than homes so there might be a trend with theme parks having roller coasters instead of homes or businesses.

I've been to Cowboys Stadium once, I've been to Rangers.. er.. Globe Life Stadium several times. We even tried to go to Six Flags once but realized we couldn't do some group discount while at the gate. My sister lived just south of there for a few months. That Walmart next to the stadium was her walmart. It's still very much an active area even if the land immediately adjacent isn't wall to wall houses. Really the warehouse area is along 360 between Arlington and Grand Prarie. But this meant there was plenty of parking around and it wasn't expensive at all. Also easy to get in and out of. The whole area was designed to be an attraction area of more than just one stadium. There's parkland, lakes, a river, youth size baseball field, convention center, Six Flags, and Hurricane Harbor across 30. They weren't trying to promote urban ness at all. It's a very suburban design in a location that's convenient for much of the DFW area. You wanna see "desolate", drive Ft Worth to Weatherford. Very few trees and with the exception of Aledo, not much between 820 and Weatherford. Also that area is very wealthy near the warehouses. It's like the industrial areas along Fulton Industrial or Jimmy Carter but with a larger city near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 08:51 AM
 
9,907 posts, read 6,897,659 times
Reputation: 3012
Here is the satellite view of the stadium area in Arlignton: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...a05351!6m1!1e1

A relatively empty area of the city even by suburban / sprawling Arlington standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 AM
 
28,113 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Reputation: 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
chiatldal - I don't see a single home or business in the foreground of that picture. Just six flags and stadiums surrounded by empty space and parking lots. I don't think that Arlington makes a good case at all for stadiums promoting more urban-ness. And Arlington being "just 99 sq mi" is not really a good comparison to help you case considering that Atlanta proper is "just 132 sq mi" and Atlanta is still relatively sparse itself.
Arlington is denser than the city of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top