U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 AM

23 posts, read 29,442 times

Advertisements

I live in Morningside. My girls are teenagers now, but the popular local pre-schools (some within walking distance of MES) for kids in this neighborhood tend to be:

Haygood Preschool- Haygood United Methodist Church (right next door to MES)
Morningside Presbyterian Preschool (MPP)- Morningside Presbyterian Church on Wessyngton
The Glenn School- at Glenn Memorial Church on Emory's campus
Morningside Day Out (MDO)- located in the Baptist church at the corner of Briarcliff and Lavista
Druid Hills United Methodist Preschool (DHUMP)- on Ponce de Leon close to SPARK

If you live in Morningside, you should be able to join the Virginia-Highland Morningside Parents Group (VHMPA.org). You would need to check the website to see if you live within the boundaries to join. If you do, its a good source for information for parents with young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 4,432 times
Many of my DC class mates attended the Suzuki preschool which seems to be a feeder into top privates. Can't say the kids are any different though. We did not attend any preschool before K and DC has been doing great.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlgirl2015 View Post
We are looking for a preschool with a very low teacher-student ratio, multiple language immersion, music, etc. Basically something that will begin preparation for a strong elementary school academic environment (whether it be private or public). We want to start at 2-days a week because I am SAHM with my son and this will be in addition to his other weekly activities that we do together (plus, I'm not ready to let him go for longer until he's a bit older haha).
As a SAHM, you can do music, etc with him. Let him go to preschool for FUN.

Make sure you are reading to him constantly and talking to him often. I have a good friend who is a preschool director (and has been for 20+ years) and she is concerned that parents aren't putting down their phones/devices to really talk to their children. She can really see a difference in her current students vs kids even 5 years ago. Don't be the mom pushing the stroller with an awake child and earphones in your ears. (Not at all suggesting that you are, but reading and talking to your child will make a bigger difference than any preschool can.)

Play with him and as he gets older encourage pretend play.

And then look at the schools below. They are all highly regarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGrey View Post
Morningside Presbyterian Preschool (MPP)- Morningside Presbyterian Church on Wessyngton
Morningside Day Out (MDO)- located in the Baptist church at the corner of Briarcliff and Lavista

If you live in Morningside, you should be able to join the Virginia-Highland Morningside Parents Group (VHMPA.org). You would need to check the website to see if you live within the boundaries to join. If you do, its a good source for information for parents with young kids.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:06 PM

71 posts, read 41,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
As a SAHM, you can do music, etc with him. Let him go to preschool for FUN.

Make sure you are reading to him constantly and talking to him often. I have a good friend who is a preschool director (and has been for 20+ years) and she is concerned that parents aren't putting down their phones/devices to really talk to their children. She can really see a difference in her current students vs kids even 5 years ago. Don't be the mom pushing the stroller with an awake child and earphones in your ears. (Not at all suggesting that you are, but reading and talking to your child will make a bigger difference than any preschool can.)

Play with him and as he gets older encourage pretend play.

And then look at the schools below. They are all highly regarded.
Thanks we already do Kindermusik, Gymboree, Art, Swim classes weekly. We are looking for a preschool more learning oriented.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegineCrespon View Post
Many of my DC class mates attended the Suzuki preschool which seems to be a feeder into top privates. Can't say the kids are any different though. We did not attend any preschool before K and DC has been doing great.
Cool I've heard from my other fellow transplant moms about Suzuki as well, I will check them out.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGrey View Post
I live in Morningside. My girls are teenagers now, but the popular local pre-schools (some within walking distance of MES) for kids in this neighborhood tend to be:

We already have one reference for Haygood but I wasn't that impressed, maybe it's seen better days? I'm definitely interested in the one on the Emory campus, didn't realize they had something like that. We are actually looking for less church oriented preschools and more feeder schools for the top k-12 schools. Have you heard anything about the program at Paideia?

Old 09-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
You're not off base. Sandy Springs is ITP and OTP.

What I can say about the school is this: get started now. Even though you'll likely find a place more convenient, it doesn't hurt to throw your hat in all the rings. I don't think the admissions process is exceptionally rigorous, but the child and parents have to be likable.
Yes thanks, we are definitely starting early! I've heard nightmare stories from my LA and NYC moms about either rejections or endless wait lists.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the Goddard School?

Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times
Our son goes to Peachtree Presbyterian and we love it. Not too far from you. They do tours all the time, but it's pre-scheduled. I don't know if they will just do a tour whenever.

BUT...if you're looking for deep academic immersion, that ain't your place. It's a Reggio Emilia program, so it's based around the child leading the activities and learning based on his own interests. Granted, he's not even three and a half, and he can count to 1,000, read, and write, and tests at about a 15-year-old vocabulary level, but those are mostly from his own self-taught learning. He goes to school for fun and to learn socializing. We'll worry about getting him into a top college later in life. This young is the time to be a kid.

But, different strokes....

Oh, and yes...wait lists definitely happen. We were trying to get into St. Anne's on Northside/Moore's Mill, but people sign up there before they're even pregnant. It's tough to get in there.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:21 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,553,436 times
Goddard is a full-day, day-care program more like Kinder-Care. That's probably not what you are looking for.

Peachtree Pres, Peachtree Rd. UMC, and St. Anne's are among the top feeder schools for the Buckhead privates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or