U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:42 PM

71 posts, read 41,024 times

Advertisements

My son is 1 and my husband and I are looking to enroll him in some type of 2-day a week preschool around the age of 2.5. We have heard that openings for spots can be over a year so I was planning on starting the search early and taking my time to find the right place. We live in the Druid Hills/Morningside area, up the street from Morningside Elementary. He's our first baby so I'm not exactly familiar with the school process. What are some of the best preschools in the metro Atlanta area that you guys recommend checking out? Do these schools allow parents to tour the facilities and meet one on one with teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times
Creme De La Creme on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs seems nice. They even have a police officer there each morning acting as not really a crossing guard but moreso traffic control to help the parents get in and out. Here's the Website address: Creme de la Creme Preschool | Best Childcare Facility | Daycare

I cannot imagine a preschool not allowing the parents to take a tour of the facility. That would be a red flag and a half.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:39 AM

2,069 posts, read 1,997,476 times
I would not recommend enrolling your kid in daycare in Sandy Springs and living in Druid Hills. Do you have a neighborhood listserv or facegroup group for your area? Many times there are parent-specific facebook groups in your neighborhood, through they may be set to secret "secret" so you cant find them in a search (you need to be invited by a current member). It's just done as a way to prevent spam and keep the conversations private. You'd probably get much more feedback about local options that way.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Creme De La Creme on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs seems nice. They even have a police officer there each morning acting as not really a crossing guard but moreso traffic control to help the parents get in and out. Here's the Website address: Creme de la Creme Preschool | Best Childcare Facility | Daycare

I cannot imagine a preschool not allowing the parents to take a tour of the facility. That would be a red flag and a half.
Thanks I will check it out, though we were looking for something in the perimeter.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I would not recommend enrolling your kid in daycare in Sandy Springs and living in Druid Hills. Do you have a neighborhood listserv or facegroup group for your area? Many times there are parent-specific facebook groups in your neighborhood, through they may be set to secret "secret" so you cant find them in a search (you need to be invited by a current member). It's just done as a way to prevent spam and keep the conversations private. You'd probably get much more feedback about local options that way.
I honestly don't know, there's a Facebook group of about 50 neighborhood moms that my friend and I started but we are all first time moms of babies. I guess I'll have to start asking around the playground.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:12 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlgirl2015 View Post
I honestly don't know, there's a Facebook group of about 50 neighborhood moms that my friend and I started but we are all first time moms of babies. I guess I'll have to start asking around the playground.
That is a great place to start. Even if they are all first time moms, they may know people who know.

Check out the churches and synagogues closest to you. For the kind of program you are looking for, these are the most likely to meet your needs. I presume you want a morning type program, not a day care type one.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will check it out, though we were looking for something in the perimeter.
It is ITP and about about a block from Buckhead.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
That is a great place to start. Even if they are all first time moms, they may know people who know.

Check out the churches and synagogues closest to you. For the kind of program you are looking for, these are the most likely to meet your needs. I presume you want a morning type program, not a day care type one.
We are looking for a preschool with a very low teacher-student ratio, multiple language immersion, music, etc. Basically something that will begin preparation for a strong elementary school academic environment (whether it be private or public). We want to start at 2-days a week because I am SAHM with my son and this will be in addition to his other weekly activities that we do together (plus, I'm not ready to let him go for longer until he's a bit older haha).

Old 09-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
It is ITP and about about a block from Buckhead.
Oh sorry, I thought Sandy Springs was suburbs, but I'm still not 100% of the areas outside of Highlands, Ansley, Midtown, etc. Do you happen to know off hand how rigorous their admission process is (in terms of recommendations/interviews)?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Oh sorry, I thought Sandy Springs was suburbs, but I'm still not 100% of the areas outside of Highlands, Ansley, Midtown, etc. Do you happen to know off hand how rigorous their admission process is (in terms of recommendations/interviews)?
You're not off base. Sandy Springs is ITP and OTP.

What I can say about the school is this: get started now. Even though you'll likely find a place more convenient, it doesn't hurt to throw your hat in all the rings. I don't think the admissions process is exceptionally rigorous, but the child and parents have to be likable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or