Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:07 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Technically MARTA was already in Clayton. And the Streetcar is operating in an area that fully supports MARTA and has done so since the beginning.

See above on Clayton.

And I-20 East MARTA rail should've happened back in 2000. No study was needed for that. It was already studied. Then stopped by a state turning Red.

No more studies.

Show me full-throated action on expansion. Show me the beef.
Technically MARTA operated in 2 miles of Clayton serving the airport, which is owned by MARTA. Clayton did not benefit from 1 inaccessible station.
Without studies, these projects will not qualify for federal funds. CC and I-20 East are in EIR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 12:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Technically MARTA operated in 2 miles of Clayton serving the airport, which is owned by MARTA. Clayton did not benefit from 1 inaccessible station.
Without studies, these projects will not qualify for federal funds. CC and I-20 East are in EIR.
What are we debating over anyways? On this issue of MARTA support and expansion I politically agree with you.

I simply tap back at the anti-MARTA partisans harder, that's all. My method is different than your method. That seems to be the disagreement, eh?

People throw a rhetorical punch at me, I answer back with a baseball bat.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
All I am saying is at least you have not one but two major cities in one state in the south doing something on a visionary scale.

All Georgia has is Atlanta and we already know what the story is here.

Where are the other secondary cities in Georgia at in this masstransit equation, eh? Macon? Augusta? Savannah?

It seems like the demographic issues are a big hump and a hindance to any discussion on transportation issues.

If I am lying, show me how and where.
How many other cities in Georgia have metro populations of 1.2 million or higher? Its kind of a ridiculous comparison. It takes Augusta, Savannah and Columbus put together to equal Raleigh's population.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:58 PM

188 posts, read 177,651 times
When things aren't going the way you like the best thing to do is to blame institutional racism. Not enough trains connecting insignificant cities? Racism.

Pure genius.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
How many other cities in Georgia have metro populations of 1.2 million or higher? Its kind of a ridiculous comparison. It takes Augusta, Savannah and Columbus put together to equal Raleigh's population.
Maybe but the argument then becomes how was North Carolina able to grow two strong cities population wise in the first place?

So the question still begs to pondered how N.C. is maintaining a strong vision well into the new millennium and how a state like Georgia is lagging behind.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:33 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,695 times
Quote:
Maybe but the argument then becomes how was North Carolina able to grow two strong cities population wise in the first place?

So the question still begs to pondered how N.C. is maintaining a strong vision well into the new millennium and how a state like Georgia is lagging behind.
That's like asking why liberal states like Illinois only has one strong city and the same with Massachusetts, Colorado, etc.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
That's like asking why liberal states like Illinois only has one strong city and the same with Massachusetts, Colorado, etc.
Illinois may be a blue state but I don't know if you can call it liberal. Besides these places are up north and gets cold.

Who is moving there?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:30 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
And Georgia would be better off with another one. But I don't think Savannah, the logical one being a port and on two interstates, wants to be that. And Augusta and Columbus are right on the border of other states. Macon's just on the edge of Atlanta metro. Albany doesn't have an interstate and isn't nearly as big as the others.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
At this point, I see MARTA as a minor player to this concept. At most, they will be a partner and probably use the same infrastructure, but expect some sort of GRTA rail to server areas outside of the immediate metro area.

Honestly, duplication doesn't make sense. There is no reason for MARTA to be operating down in Macon, so there is no reason for MARTA to operate commuter rail at all. Let one organization do it. They can contract out to GRTA to cover their promise of rail to Clayton.

The state is ultimately going to have to choose to make this happen. I think, any maybe I'm just an optimist, that it is better if the state runs the whole game, metro Atlanta commuter rail and all, so MARTA's name isn't associated with it. Fact is, it will be much easier to get approved by the voters if they weren't. Commuter rail needs to be distinct from MARTA service anyways. That is how it works in many places around the world.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:30 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
It doesn't "beg" any question whatsoever, not if you're talking about TWO large metros in Georgia. That has been nigh impossible as Atlanta is too big -- an southern powerhouse and later a national and international city with huge demographic, geographical, infrastructural, and intellectual-capital advantages over Georgia's other cities. It's been this way since the First World War, so even in more recent boom times (the 1960s, and mid-1980s, late 1990s), there was no competition for Atlanta. No "second city" would or could emerge in the state. See also: Colorado, New York State, Illinois, Washington State, Nevada, Nebraska, Kansas, Massachusetts. Same history -- one city dominating the entire state since early in the 20th century. Wake up and smell the coffee; it's brewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta