Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,836 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to the Atlanta area in the coming months and we are looking to find out which area will be the best fit for us. We are both African American college educated with above average income with 2 young boys (6 & 4). We currently live in downtown Chicago and my new job will be located in Norcross/Peachtree Corners. We are looking at Johns Creek, Roswell and possibly Alpharetta. The things that matter most in our search are:

1. Quality of School
2. Diversity of School
3. Culture/Diversity of area
4. Commute Time

Understanding we are not going get the culture and diversity of living downtown Chicago we want to make the transition as smooth as possible. We will be looking to purchase a home in the $550-$600K. I have heard about the horrible Atlanta traffic and want to avoid it as much as possible and curious if it applies to my situation or is just confined to 400 and 285 perimeter area.

Also, how are the attitudes and acceptance of the people in the above mentioned areas as I see the majority of the population is white and asian. As a father of black boys I now realize there is a big difference between "diversity" on paper and diversity the true sense of acceptance and comfort of interacting with the majority population. This is my biggest concern and I hope to get an insight into that aspect of the suburban areas we are looking at. Based on the rankings of the schools I am assuming the quality of the education will be ok.

With regard to the "scene" of Johns Creek, Roswell and Alpharetta, which area has the best social atmosphere such as "walkable downtown", restaurants, cafes, shops and arts? My wife owns her own company but prior to that was accomplished musician and we would like as much exposure to the arts scene as possible.

I appreciate any advice and info.

Thanks,

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM

761 posts, read 897,853 times
John's Creek, Alpharetta, and Roswell offer some of the best schools in the metro area. John's Creek has the highest median income of any city in Georgia, but it is a relatively new city. It was only created a few years ago by simply drawing borders around several high income neighborhoods in North Fulton County that weren't currently incorporated. For that reason, there isn't a town center, but I think plans are in the works to build a town center. Roswell has a historic downtown with several nice restaurants and bars. All of these ares are predominantly white areas that have historically been very conservative republican bastions, but demographics are changing. Roswell has a growing hispanic and black population and John's Creek has a very high Asian population. Also, Atlanta is much more diverse and a lot less segregated than Chicago. Even the most affluent Atlanta Suburbs are only 60-75% white, which is very diverse compared to Winnetka and Glencoe. Not to mention, there are several affluent areas that are almost 100% African American such as Cascade, and extreme Northern Fayette County.

I'd also consider Gwinnett County. The North Gwinnett attendance zone is one of the best in the state, has great academics, athletics, and diversity too. Also, Peachtree Corners in the Norcross High school district is a very nice area and Norcross has an excellent IB program within the high school so it offers both a rigorous academic environment and diversity. Anther diverse area near Norcross with excellent schools is the Parkview Cluster.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,727,332 times
The area you work in is the area you will want to live so you will not have much of a traffic problem. Just live about a 15 mile radius of your job

What you will get here is less segregation, much much less crime, better nightlife for black professionals, no toll roads, less property and city taxes, better weather, it gets dark here an hour later, no traffic/red light cameras (maybe 2 or 3 throughout the entire metro), better radio stations (we got 8 hip hop, old school hip hip, r&b radio stations), etc

Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 PM

36 posts, read 74,342 times
Traffic is inevitable so get over it quickly. John's Creek is okay but being African American people will wonder why or how you're living next door to them unless you're very well known in the community e.g. Doctor, Dentist, real estate developer or have some type of ties to the Chamber so it's probably not too far removed from Chicago. They're perfectly fine however with you being "out" so to speak.

Below are my rankings.. Just my humble opinion.

Diversity:
Norcross/Peachtree Corners
Alpharetta
Roswell
Johns Creek

Education:
Johns Creek
Alpharetta
Roswell
Norcross/Peachtree COrners

Culture/Arts:
Norcross/Peachtree Corners
Alpharetta/Roswell (coin toss)
Johns Creek

Also, when you hear people speak of "Peachtree Corners" you're literally talking about MAYBE 20-30 square miles until you're back in Duluth, John's Creek, Doraville and/or Dekalb.

With a budget of 550k, you can pretty much live anywhere you want. If you're seeking diversity, arts and decent education etc I would move to midtown, search for a 'cheap' reno- rebuild (if you have the time) and go private (schools).

If education is your PRIMARY concern John's Creek is cool but understand that the "diversity' that you may or may not see is only on the surface.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:18 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,341,598 times
Midtown Atlanta has the best public schools in the City of Atlanta. Morningside Elementary (east of Peachtree Street deep in "Fashionable Northeast Atlanta" pulls from Ansley Park, Sherwood Forest, Morningside, and Lenox Park areas) could arguably be one of the Top schools in the state. Springdale Park Elementary (Pulling from further south along Ponce de Leon Avenue including the Atlanta park of Druid Hills, Virginia Highland/ Poncy Highlands and if I am not mistaken The Atlantic Station community west of Peachtree Street) is good, too. There is also Mary Lin Elementary (Candler Park, Inman Park, Little Five Points area) that is well regarded, too, but further south of Ponce de Leon Avenue and a little further away. All feed into Henry Grady High School/ Inman Middle both have long been heralded as the best Intown middle/ high schools. The diversity may be a little less (Morningside and Mary Lin trend a little "whiter" with Springdale Park being a little more diverse, unsure. But this is the "Deep South" and I suspect there would be few places your sons could attend here and be "the only ones". That said, Henry Grady IS diverse since its district includes broad swatches of exclusive AND lower socioeconomic neighborhoods. If I could afford a house in the Grady High district for my three children, I would JUMP at it. Best of both worlds to me: economically diverse, still with excellent programs for high achievers. I guess I am saying, buying a nice home in Midtown or other parts of Northeast Atlanta would not necessitate "private schools" for academic reasons anyway. Then again, you should know that private schools have never been an option for me due to economic reasons as well as my personal belief that the American pubic school system is one of the cornerstones to our Democracy.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:26 PM

6,704 posts, read 6,406,393 times
Atlanta and its suburbs are not walkable so forget about that dream. You will need to drive everywhere. You will also find the food and culture here to be severely lacking, especially when compared to Chicago. As mentioned, traffic is terrible so live as close to work as possible. Johns Creek, Peachtree Corners or some areas of Gwinnett will be your best bet. Schools are all highly ranked in those areas and you and the kids will fit in fine, but as noted, there is a heavy Asian population so keep that in mind. On the positive side, if you like really warm weather, Atlanta has plenty of that on tap... The Winter here will make you laugh. Leave all the snow gear up North, you may need a light jacket on occasion.

Ironically, I'm right in the middle of moving in the opposite direction, from Johns Creek to the Chicago burbs. Good luck!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-27-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 01:57 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,341,598 times
HRH22, No the winters here are no sub zero, unless you use the Celsius scale, but please don't leave ALL your winter clothing behind. Else you will be majorly uncomfortable for some of our cold and blustery winter nights. Temperatures below freezing are the norm Mid December through Mid March at night. Also our higher average humidity coupled with northwestern winds many days in the winter will certainly make you want "more than a sweater" Perhaps not a down or fur coat, but definitely a nice long wool one! ;0)

Old 08-27-2016, 02:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,840,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Atlanta and its suburbs are not walkable so forget about that dream.
Pure BS.

There are large swaths of the City along with several suburban Downtowns that are quite walkable. In your part of the Metro, Roswell has a charming Downtown with a thriving food scene just down the road from you....

Quote:
You will need to drive everywhere.
Yes, just like Chicagoland. Nobody takes Metra or the bus from suburb to suburb for 'outings.'

If these things are important to you, you should have done a little due diligence and perhaps you wouldn't have landed in Johns Creek.

Quote:
You will also find the food and culture here to be severely lacking, especially when compared to Chicago.
This is a flat-out lie. With the exception of Eastern European food, there is nothing in Chicago that we don't have. We have one of the best food scenes in the country here, period.

As far as culture goes, what an absolutely ignorant statement. We are literally dripping in culture here, but you wont find much of it if you don't leave your house. I seriously doubt you have even tried to sample it. Any Metro of this size and with this history has loads of culture, and ours is rather unique - especially when compared to the somewhat bland Midwestern culture of suburban Chicago.

http://www.atlanta.net/events/

Quote:
As mentioned, traffic is terrible so live as close to work as possible.
Again, just like Chicago. Name a growing, 5 million plus Metro that doesn't have terrible traffic. You cant.

ARH22, please ignore this poster. He is a bitter malcontent that can't stand Atlanta, and obviously never should have moved here.

There are tens of thousands of former Chicagoans living happily and thriving here. You'll be fine.

Last edited by JMatl; 08-27-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 03:16 PM

6,704 posts, read 6,406,393 times
JMatl, you at least got one part correct, that I can't stand Atlanta and I'll even throw in the "never should have moved here" part. That would have saved me a lot of time, effort and money, but as they say hindsight is 20/20, live and learn and all that good stuff.

My wife and kids are already up there due to school and they are extremely happy with the change so it's not just me. I was also up there last week and actually felt like I was back in America again...

Old 08-27-2016, 03:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,840,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
JMatl, you at least got one part correct, that I can't stand Atlanta and I'll even throw in the "never should have moved here" part. That would have saved me a lot of time, effort and money, but as they say hindsight is 20/20, live and learn and all that good stuff.

My wife and kids are already up there due to school and they are extremely happy with the change so it's not just me. I was also up there last week and actually felt like I was back in America again...
I hear a dog whistle....

I am also from the Midwest originally, so I understand your preference for segregated suburban living - I just don't share that mindset.

Glad you're leaving. You couldn't pay me to live up there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta