Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times

Advertisements

SaportaReport | Millennials offer a smorgasbord of solutions to the region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
I am okay with their plan for putting live DJ's in MARTA cars, with some provisos.

(1) Who gets to decide what he is playing?

(2) There should be ways to stop the music if you are trying to read or have a conversation or just want to ride in peace.

(3) Who is paying him? This should not be on the taxpayer.

(4) Music should not be lewd or offensive to any riders.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with their plan for putting live DJ's in MARTA cars, with some provisos.

(1) Who gets to decide what he is playing?

(2) There should be ways to stop the music if you are trying to read or have a conversation or just want to ride in peace.

(3) Who is paying him? This should not be on the taxpayer.

(4) Music should not be lewd or offensive to any riders.

1) Have a vote via the MARTA app.
2) There could be quiet cars.
3) Pro Bono
4) This is Atlanta, it should be Atlanta based hip hop artist.

Personally, I think this idea bad.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM

150 posts, read 151,464 times
I think we already have the live DJ's, with people's headphones blaring loud... But honestly, I like the approach for making MARTA hip and cool, however MARTA needs to upgrade their system before funding gardens at their parking lots.

i.e. trains are breaking down left and right. I've heard talks that new rolling stock is on the way starting in 2016 -> this needs to be a huge focal point. Fewer trains that breakdown, means higher on-time percentage, means you're less likely to be late for / to wherever you're going.

Expand the redline to alpharetta, honestly Caesar Obama can do whatever the hell he wants -- so should MARTA.

Clean up the stations a bit. Fresh paint, replace those obnoxious loud speakers that no one can understand who's on the other end when they start talking.

Replace the non-functional display boards, showing inaccurate train arrival times

Increase train frequency 5min headways during rush hour on any given line would be awesome.

Make the stations safe, not from crime, but from own personal injury / stupidity --> install platform doors.

Im an avid marta user, these are just some of my rambling thoughts...

Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,756,976 times
strippers?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
I think we already have the live DJ's, with people's headphones blaring loud... But honestly, I like the approach for making MARTA hip and cool, however MARTA needs to upgrade their system before funding gardens at their parking lots.

i.e. trains are breaking down left and right. I've heard talks that new rolling stock is on the way starting in 2016 -> this needs to be a huge focal point. Fewer trains that breakdown, means higher on-time percentage, means you're less likely to be late for / to wherever you're going.

Expand the redline to alpharetta, honestly Caesar Obama can do whatever the hell he wants -- so should MARTA.

Clean up the stations a bit. Fresh paint, replace those obnoxious loud speakers that no one can understand who's on the other end when they start talking.

Replace the non-functional display boards, showing inaccurate train arrival times

Increase train frequency 5min headways during rush hour on any given line would be awesome.

Make the stations safe, not from crime, but from own personal injury / stupidity --> install platform doors.

Im an avid marta user, these are just some of my rambling thoughts...
Platform doors would cost several hundred million, no station in the US has them.
Less delays caused by malfunctioning trains would be great, but I have noticed a lot of the issues are faulty doors and I am sure a huge cause of that issue is people holding the doors. Do not hold the doors.
The LED signs do need upgrading. I think MARTA would need to upgrade the technology because it is so old and obsolete.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,965,476 times
I think the idea is ridiculous.

However, it could be tweaked to make it more reasonable in a simple way: don't have DJs in moving MARTA cars, but do allow them to set up at stations. It's more important to have entertainment while you wait for trains than once you are already on them.

And why stop with DJs? Local musicians of all kinds should perform at MARTA stations.

In fact, I think MARTA would be wise to tackle things that way. Address the stations more than the actual ride experience, which is pretty decent. Most of the stations are bland and boring, and passengers can have to wait quite some time for a train.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,756,976 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuW3sVdUat8

Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 AM

749 posts, read 882,359 times
I was excited to see that a list of ideas were compiled from millennials. I was then embarrassed to be a millennial when I saw they proposed DJs on the train. Seriously, whoever came up with this idea should be slapped. Slapped repeatedly and with a large, baby-powdered hand.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think the idea is ridiculous.

However, it could be tweaked to make it more reasonable in a simple way: don't have DJs in moving MARTA cars, but do allow them to set up at stations. It's more important to have entertainment while you wait for trains than once you are already on them.

And why stop with DJs? Local musicians of all kinds should perform at MARTA stations.

In fact, I think MARTA would be wise to tackle things that way. Address the stations more than the actual ride experience, which is pretty decent. Most of the stations are bland and boring, and passengers can have to wait quite some time for a train.
Excellent idea. At Five Points, have a stage set up and the music will echo thru the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta