Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:23 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Neighbor Newspapers - Greenbriar Mall celebrates 50 years
Thought this was interesting...
Quote:
Although south Fulton’s Greenbriar Mall may seem to be conveniently located off I-285, long-term mall executives said it is the other way around.

“This was actually a golf course when they purchased the land. I don’t believe [Ga.] 166 existed; 285 hadn’t even been built yet,” said Gwendolyn Motley, corporate marketing director for Buckhead-based Hendon Properties LLC, the mall’s owners and managers.

It was August 1965 when the 678,000-square-foot mall, designed by architect John Portman, opened on a site chosen by research that included the growth of a traffic hub now known as Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

“This area was growing and [developers] felt the need for a mall in this area because at that time the demographics were changing. There were a lot of families,” Motley said. “The airport was starting to boom at that time and pilots were searching for places to stay near their jobs.”

The 90-acre mall broke new ground, literally and figuratively, she said.

“Lenox [Square] mall, they want to take the credit but we’re the first enclosed mall in the city of Atlanta. Lenox mall was a lifestyle center,” Motley said. “Chick-fil-A opened up their first mall restaurant here at Greenbriar.”

Chick-fil-A Day on Sept. 25 is one of seven celebrations, one for every day of the week, to commemorate the mall’s 50th anniversary.

“We’re kicking it off with a red-carpet event on the 20th,” said mall Marketing Director Shelly Baker. “The Taste of Greenbriar, which is the finale on the 26th, will include fireworks, a kids’ zone, entertainment, vendors and a proclamation.”

Free souvenir anniversary booklets will contain the schedule plus coupons for specials at tenants like Piccadilly Cafeteria, which, along with Rich’s – now Macy’s – opened at the mall in 1965.

The mall’s longevity is fueled by customer loyalty, Baker said, which the owners encourage with upgrades like a recent multi-million-dollar renovation.

“They are very supportive to the community and want to give back,” Baker said.

Motley said that goes for mall staff, as well.

“It goes back to the tagline that we use here at Greenbriar, ‘Our community, your family, great shopping,’” she said.

And the future?

“We plan on being here another 50 years,” Motley said.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
People put Greenbriar down but it is actually one of my favorite Atlanta malls due to not being too huge and having easy access to items I shopped for.

It was interesting when I found out Chik-Fil-A started there too. That was surprising.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
having easy access to items I shopped for.
What do you shop for? Irregular underwear?

I'm just kidding. But only kind of. The stores at Greenbriar are mostly pathetic.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 PM

787 posts, read 969,101 times
I stay 10mins from Greenbrier Mall, I'll be their to support, I love there Burlington Coat Factory.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 PM

116 posts, read 119,254 times
I'm 5 minutes away and I won't set food in the place or any nearby businesses. The nearby Kroger is dirty and seedy. A tag office customer was robbed in the parking lot back in June. Buy gasoline nearby and risk a car jacking? No thanks. Not worth the risk, sorry.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 AM

84 posts, read 105,845 times
Sorry to say, but Greenbriar Mall is still open???? I thought it would have closed not too long after Shannon did. It is just in a super sketch part of town and the crime in the area is horrendous!

Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
I am shocked at the 2 previous comments, sounds like people are talking about the area, even though they have never visited it. My wife and I took MARTA to Greenbriar when we first moved to Atlanta. We walked to/from the bus stop with no issues.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 AM

186 posts, read 349,419 times
I'm not really a mall goer but I like Greenbriar, it seems like less of a fashion show compared to other malls. Last time I was there, tax free weekend, the mall had a decent crowd and was not as packed as Southlake. Greenbriar seems to serve its neighborhood well and has stores that cater to its clientele. To me it seems to have understand it role. It is in a working class to middle income black area and the stores reflect that. And I absolutely love the Burlington. Better selection for bigger guys than Southlake and Old National ones.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 AM

84 posts, read 105,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I am shocked at the 2 previous comments, sounds like people are talking about the area, even though they have never visited it. My wife and I took MARTA to Greenbriar when we first moved to Atlanta. We walked to/from the bus stop with no issues.
Us people know the area and my family used to live there. The area has fallen down from what it was. People get robbed over there all the time!! Be careful, seriously. Look up the police reports for the area of you think we're talking and just making it all up.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I had no idea that John Portman designed it. I'd like to revisit it for that fact alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta