U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:11 AM

7 posts, read 4,223 times

Advertisements

Maybe we need to write our Senators w/ the idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 02:02 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,167,379 times
Have noticed lately, all lights seem to be on from Downtown at the Connector all the way to the South end of I-285 in Clayton. That's a Great start!!! Now if we can work on I-20, especially on the West Side inside of I-285.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:17 PM

28,114 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Good story about the lack of freeway lights in the city of Atlanta.

Apparently there's plenty of money for some things, but not for highway safety.

https://weather.com/news/atlanta/wgc...s-left-in-dark

Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

But....they're spending money on it. They just can't figure out how to get people to stop stealing the copper. Suspending the boxes higher in the air might help. Do other cities around the country not deal with this or do they just keep replacing the wires every month?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,735,899 times
Quote:

The video says the opposite of your post. They fixed it but the idiots steal the non copper wiring as well. The city can't win on that note.

Maybe if GDOT updated their cameras to HD and actual record the feeds, they could catch some suspects.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,991,394 times
They need to make GADOT pay for the lighting, and in exchange increase their funding a little.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:15 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
Well I know this is an old thread, but I wasn't around before.

My two cents is this needs to be taken up by the GDOT. They really know how to pass off a bill to the Atlanta area, while they have spent huge amounts of money for expansion in many of the state's most sparsely populated areas.

We also need a higher gas tax.

However, I don't think every stretch of freeway in our region needs lighting, including some areas that currently have it and some areas that currently don't.

I think a large part of it needs to do with local zoning and buffers. If a freeway is heavily buffered where light pollution is kept away and all you see are trees, I actually think it is good to leave it dark. Now this isn't to say we don't have other problems, like keeping the reflective lane markings adaquetly maintained. I also think we should take into account the type and frequency of merges. There is a reason many freeway junctions have lights, even when the freeways leading into them don't.

I-85 in Gwinnett has freeway lights over large sections of I-85, but not over all of it... especially the further north you go. The big thing is in the southern end we have limited to no buffers along the freeway and there is a huge amount of visual/light pollution. To me it is important that area be lit, so not to strain people's eyes needing to deal with the difference in light.

Go further north where there is a thick tree buffer, then I think the necessity of having lights decrease. People have a better chance to adjust their eyes to the darker condition, there are less distractions, and few lights to mess up people's wide open iris'.

There are long portions of Langford Pkwy and I-20 in the city that don't really need lights, but then we have portions of I-85 in Dekalb with no buffers, lots of light pollution and not a street light in site.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,735,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Go further north where there is a thick tree buffer, then I think the necessity of having lights decrease. People have a better chance to adjust their eyes to the darker condition, there are less distractions, and few lights to mess up people's wide open iris'.
I disagree, the portion from Jackson County to the GA/SC Border is pitch black. The darkness lulls you to sleep imho. I could be wrong but I know, I feel more tired when its pitch black vs lights.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:31 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I disagree, the portion from Jackson County to the GA/SC Border is pitch black. The darkness lulls you to sleep imho. I could be wrong but I know, I feel more tired when its pitch black vs lights.
Well the lights aren't designed to keep people awake. That is something a driver needs to take care of on their own. If they are having a tough time, they shouldn't be driving lights or no light.

We can't put lights on all our rural freeways and most places don't. That is hardly unique to us. I use to drive at night quite a bit and had no trouble letting my eyes adjust, so long as nothing else was around to distract that (ie. light pollution from a random freeway exit town).

I use to drive back and forth between Athens and Gwinnett when I was student for work. It wasn't that hard and I preferred the darkness, but the problem is always when you get into the denser areas with light pollution. Your iris will need to close the brighter the surroundings get. The biggest problem I had was the traffic lights on 316 when they were switched to LED were actually too bright at night. It really caused a problem seeing the roadway on the other side of the intersection.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,420,838 times
Quote:

You love to play dense don't you... If you would watch the video and READ up on this issue outside of weather.com you would know that copper thieves are the reason why the lights continual are out around this region. If the GDOT, like most state DOTs, would take responsibility for their own infrastructure. Also GDOT should pay Georgia Power themselves for electrical service then we wouldn't be having this stupid a** conversation about why Atlanta or any municipality is not maintaining lights along freeways, which are maintained by the state DOT...

Last edited by jero23; 09-28-2016 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or