Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM

88 posts, read 304,164 times

Advertisements

We currently reside in Chateau Elan and have had a really great living experience. However, there is a home available in SLCC that could definitely be a forever home but I can't find any info. on the community. Not the club, celebs etc. but about what it's like to live there. I'm hoping to find out if it's a close knit community- do they offer kids activities at the club, is the club even an option if you're not a golfer? At CE the sports club offers family activities on some holidays, kids camps during the summer and occasional kids camps during the school year. Is any of that even an option in SLCC? Is it mainly celebs or are the people there who send their kids to public school as well? I'll do more research on my own as I guess looking at the prices of home currently available should give me a good idea if there are some regular people there like my family. Also, does anyone know if it is a golf cart community? I would assume so since there is a course but I think that would also depend on what's actually available there for families in terms of activities.

Secondly, we'd be transferring from MCHS (2nd yr) to PRHS and it's my understanding that bc PRHS is on a block schedule (I do believe they are the only school in Gwinnett county on block) it can be a drawback. Is this a huge deal in terms of transferring credits? Would it put the MCHS student behind- that's my main concern.

Lastly, I'm looking for advice on performing arts - theatre and dance in the area or within maybe a 5/10mi distance (maybe more if I can get there via I85). My daughters are involved in ballet, tap, jazz and acting and I'd need to locate a place that has a family atmosphere and hopefully all of those types of classes. Do you or someone you know have children who are in these activities in this or a nearby area that you love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 03:38 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
I would think all credits would transfer. Block schedule just means classes are done more like in college. Go to a certain class only every other day but spend more time in each class. They still get 6 classes or whatever in each semester.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM

88 posts, read 304,164 times
Well that's one very important piece of the puzzle figured out! Thanks sedimenjerry!

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futrMrsJ View Post
Well that's one very important piece of the puzzle figured out! Thanks sedimenjerry!
No problem. I was a sub in Gwinnett last year. Did PRHS a couple of time and Mill Creek. Liked both. The block scheduling just took some getting used to. Nothing like trying to take roll and you're on the wrong Block 1 class sheet! I personally am not a fan but PR still pumps out a lot of excellent students so I wouldn't be concerned.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:37 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
It depends on what type of block you are talking about. If it is the 4 by 4 (four courses a semester) then you face a real challenge transferring in mid-semester. For virtually any other kind of block, they should be able to handle mid semester arrivals smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta