U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 PM

22,630 posts, read 34,714,831 times

Advertisements

Anyone that buys into such a notion is a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,173,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I actually think all of the reality shows has upped the glamour factor of Atlanta--a lot. A reality show setting needs cosmopolitan elements to be successful. It also shows that our town has interesting/controversial/dynamic people...and that's not a bad thing.

Shows want to film in city for a reason. Think of how many cities (most!) that don't get reality TV.

Successful reality TV really seems to only come out of Atlanta, New York, and Greater LA.
Glamour? I don't think its the glamour factor that has been upped. These reality show producer look for train wrecks to base there shows around, and right now Atlanta is the train wreck reality show capital. I find myself constantly explaining that the real Atlanta does reflect these Honey Boo/Housewives shows. Atlanta is a great city, that gets a bad rap because of these shows.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:13 PM

7,896 posts, read 12,110,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Anyone that buys into such a notion is a moron.
And how. The extent to which people believe that those reality shows represent daily life in Atlanta, or that somehow everyone is supposedly obsessed with them here, is mind boggling.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM

49 posts, read 35,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Glamour? I don't think its the glamour factor that has been upped. These reality show producer look for train wrecks to base there shows around, and right now Atlanta is the train wreck reality show capital. I find myself constantly explaining that the real Atlanta does reflect these Honey Boo/Housewives shows. Atlanta is a great city, that gets a bad rap because of these shows.
It does give the city a bad rap. You know people on this fourm are going to be in denial about the truth. Now,TvOne make good movies that are made in Atlanta.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 PM

29,530 posts, read 26,997,813 times
If people don't understand that the point of reality TV is to create drama and think that's a reflection on Atlanta as a city, then they have issues.

It's acting made to look real, people. Come on.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:09 AM

3,512 posts, read 3,039,722 times
That's like saying they make LA or New York look bad. I don't see their reputation being tarnished.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 AM

3,790 posts, read 3,478,395 times
Ok I have a comment..don't judge she's only 11.
We moved here recently.we were driving to Turner Field. Took some sidestreets to avoid the highway. My 11 yr old pops up and says,
"Hey look at that group of black guys, they all have gold grillz and big chains. Now I really feel like I'm in the Big ATL. Like on tv"

Old 09-19-2015, 10:56 AM

13,425 posts, read 21,879,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
That's like saying they make LA or New York look bad. I don't see their reputation being tarnished.
Exactly.

When one is outside of Atlanta (stateside or overseas), you can really see how a show can demonstrate that a city is cosmopolitan/glamourous/hip.

Only a moron would think, "Gee, everyone in this city must be exactly like the characters on this show!"

Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM

3,790 posts, read 3,478,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly.

When one is outside of Atlanta (stateside or overseas), you can really see how a show can demonstrate that a city is cosmopolitan/glamourous/hip.

Only a moron would think, "Gee, everyone in this city must be exactly like the characters on this show!"
Agreed.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,871,262 times
Reality television has absolutely no impact on life in the city of Atlanta, and it only affects the image of Atlanta with the small group of people who follow it and believe it to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or