Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 05:11 PM

74 posts, read 74,551 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a former native of Atlanta currently living in Tampa, FL. A few years go I had to send my nephew back up there to live with relatives to keep him out of trouble. However, the issue is this, a few years ago here in Tampa I had to have him committed because he'd smoked a laced substance. Years have gone by and most recently, I went to visit him last fall and he started to have another episode. Not to mention, destroying my cell phone in which I called the cops and they gave me the option of pressing charges and taking him to a facility or him going voluntarily on his own. A year has gone by and now he's not able to live with said relative because of a similar situation, so he's staying with a friend. Nevertheless, the friend has informed me that his behavior has worsened to the point where he tried to physically attack them. I still have not had time to obtain a copy of the police report last year from Fulton county as proof of the incident. But I wanted to know if anybody could tell me the steps needed to get him committed? Not to mention, he hasn't had employment for years nor healthcare insurance. Would a facility like Georgia Regional take him in a patient??

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,835,634 times
Caveat: I'm assuming your nephew is 18 years old or older. In order for him to be committed involuntarily, a doctor (or psychologist) must be willing to certify that he poses an IMMINENT (not a "he seems kind of dangerous") threat to himself or others (in GA, this is called being "1040'ed"). In other words, he needs to have made a specific threat to himself or to an identifiable other person (not just "I'm gonna go shoot up the mall"). And he will probably be held a maximum of about 72 hours. Involuntary commitment is not what it used to be.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:28 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,543,483 times
Maybe a couple of months in jail will straightened him out.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,015,985 times
The best thing to do is call the police when he is violent and hope that he acts out in front of them.

They will arrest him.

Then you have to explain to the police that he is mentally unstable and beg them to take him to a local ER instead of jail. If they do, he will get evaluated by a physician on staff whose diagnosis a judge can use to have him involuntarily committed (or they may do it right there on site, I'm not sure).

But yeah, it really has to involve a judge and/or ER physician. Getting someone involuntarily committed is really hard. You know, as it probably should be.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 AM

311 posts, read 171,816 times
It appears another option (depending upon specific circumstances, of course) is for some families to obtain guardianship (of the patient and regardless of patient's age) through the Probate Court.

A family law atty would be needed and for that I recommend starting with the GA State Bar Assoc. and requesting specific referrals for that specialty. Such an attorney experienced in family law matters AND the mental health system in that locale would make decisions on placement, etc. much easier.

Also, if you have the contact information for any licensed clinicians who have treated the patient (psychiatrist, etc.) they (or someone in their office) SHOULD be able to provide the contact information for a credentialed professional who can assist the family with coordinating and guiding the family and patient through "the system." Those coordinators exist and work for a simple fee, followed by hour,y rates. They do exist. Keep asking.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: