U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Reputation: 2159

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
As I suspected from the beginning...the northwest section will probably be last. Oh well, I held out this long...time to give up on that one and move on. Will likely be ten years or more before they get to the NW section.
It is the most challenging section. Active rail lines, a river and several creeks, interstates, etc. all collide to make the NW section, from Armor to Bankhead, one big mess of a project.

Theoretically the city has the money to finish out the purchase of right of way for the BeltLine, but I have no idea how they're going to go about negotiating the NW parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
As I suspected from the beginning...the northwest section will probably be last. Oh well, I held out this long...time to give up on that one and move on. Will likely be ten years or more before they get to the NW section.
10 years is a fair estimate, maybe optimistic. I hope not though. I've been following the Beltline for a while and I have always had the impression that the NW section will be last. It is almost certainly going to be the most complicated part to build out. Expect to see the NW section happen well after the Clifton Corridor gets built.

After Westside, Eastside>Southside>Northeast*>Northwest

*I think the construction of the Northeast segment depends on the construction of the Clifton Corridor. They will happen either simultaneously or consecutively due to their connection at Lindbergh/Armour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 PM
 
501 posts, read 238,933 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
It is the most challenging section. Active rail lines, a river and several creeks, interstates, etc. all collide to make the NW section, from Armor to Bankhead, one big mess of a project.

Theoretically the city has the money to finish out the purchase of right of way for the BeltLine, but I have no idea how they're going to go about negotiating the NW parts.
I'm sure the NW would be split into sections. What would be the challenge of connecting Blandtown to the northern tip of the Westside trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
 
4,240 posts, read 2,818,370 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
10 years is a fair estimate, maybe optimistic. I hope not though. I've been following the Beltline for a while and I have always had the impression that the NW section will be last. It is almost certainly going to be the most complicated part to build out. Expect to see the NW section happen well after the Clifton Corridor gets built.

After Westside, Eastside>Southside>Northeast*>Northwest

*I think the construction of the Northeast segment depends on the construction of the Clifton Corridor. They will happen either simultaneously or consecutively due to their connection at Lindbergh/Armour
Yeah...we were pretty excited to see the Beltline come to within a couple miles of us, and even more excited with the idea of the Silver Comet Extension, since we could hop right on that and intersect with the Beltline. But I think it's time to remove either of those from any decision-making for the foreseeable future. NW gets the shaft...again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I'm sure the NW would be split into sections. What would be the challenge of connecting Blandtown to the northern tip of the Westside trail?
The active freight railroad, and MARTA's Green Line that run in the general right of way of the BeltLine.

They're not insurmountable, but they are quite the challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Opening set for September.
Quote:
The Atlanta Beltline Inc. held a briefing and Q and A meeting Monday night about the construction progress of the Westside Trail, and officials expect the grand opening to happen in September.
Along with trail lighting, there will be cameras every 90 feet, with a few others covering “blind spots” that have been identified. While the trail will follow Park Service hours (although Burke said they do not fall under their umbrella) of 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., Burke admitted that some residents “will probably ignore them” so they will maintain light and camera security 24 hours a day.
Westside Trail construction wrapping Up, opening slated for September - The Atlanta Loop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Reputation: 2723
Nice! I need to go check out the new business(s?) down along the corridor.

It's pretty crazy they have a camera every 90 feet. But we all know it is going to be a bit of a struggle in regards to crime. The news media is going to go on a feeding frenzy for the first crimes that occur on the trail and I am glad they are being proactive in preventive measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,168 posts, read 3,032,914 times
Reputation: 3375
Default Westside Trail



Thanks for posting this thread with the descriptive info on that particular site.
As I read, I recognized that it was a discussion of an abandoned, large complex that am able to see when I commute to & from work via the MARTA South Line & take in the view out of the east-facing train windows just south of the West End Station.
The size of the complex sparked my interest & curiosity & I had figured out that the type of buildings on that site were of agricultural use in nature but this is the first time I've known that it was the old State Farmer's Market site. So, once again, many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,442 posts, read 2,817,865 times
Reputation: 2148
Why does a walking trail have closing hours? Isn't it supposed to be used for commuting? What about people with night jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Why does a walking trail have closing hours? Isn't it supposed to be used for commuting? What about people with night jobs?
Matches other Parks Dept. property operating hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top