U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:46 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,288,490 times

Advertisements

After moving to West Cobb, I was surprised that in terms of test scores and CCRPI, there isn't as big discrepancy between Hillgrove and McEachern as I originally thought there was. However, what I have heard about the legislation pushed by E. Earhardt through various 2nd-hand sources makes me believe it is unconstitutional and needs judicial review to overturn. Please provide me as much details as possible and point me to the bill. I don't even know what year this all happened in. If I am to fight it myself, I also probably need to establish standing or find a group that has standing.

Also, I have been told there is a trust for McEachern which is at risk because it has a clause that it doesn't need to disburse funds to McEachern based on demographics, and that the Echo Mill redistricting also put that trust at risk. Sounds like a lot of b.s. but do you know anything about that? It may be enough to establish standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 08:11 PM

1,189 posts, read 733,472 times
Is this the bill?

Some background to the bill...

Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 PM

I found this... Probably a play written by a student? Discusses the charitable trust a little. How much is truth?

http://www.taking-place.org/ps_audio...to_macland.pdf

What's ironic about reading this is that I view Echo Mill and Oakleigh neighborhoods as outdated lower-end homes (with a few exceptions) than many being built in the McEachern district.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
It's clear that the redistricting process violated at least one aspect of the bill:

(5) Minimize the time and distance between home and school;

It also seemed to be a nod towards violating the racial aspect because the inclusion of Echo Mill and Oakleigh into Hillgrove was done entirely for racial reasons and this is the result. Look at 2006: McEachern High School in Powder Springs GA - SchoolDigger.com

Old 09-20-2015, 12:22 AM

If you look at this link, Hillgrove is projected to become overcrowded in the next few years. Additionally, so are Campbell and Pebblebrook. Osborne will also be slightly over capacity. This should have an interesting effects on redistricting. http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...2015_Part1.pdf

I've heard mention that there is another South Cobb high school on the way. My guess is that this new high school will be between Pebblebrook, Osborne, Campbell and South Cobb High and that South Cobb High's district will move West pick up the Southernmost part of McCeachern, South of Powder Springs.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:31 AM

Another interesting thing I noticed from the maps in the document is that Lovingood is way over capacity, and Tapp is way under capacity.

It's clear that when you put the feeding patterns for the elementary schools, middle and highs together, it's very inefficient the way the schools overlap. The capacity issues are all over the place depending on grade level.

For instance, look at Kemp. Kemp is way under capacity, but once you get to High School, there's a problem. Yet next door, Lovinggood has problems in middle school, even though the elementary schools are way under capacity. Yet both Lovinggood and Kemp feed Hillgrove.

Last edited by netdragon; 09-20-2015 at 12:39 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks. According to Cobb County school system site, they follow HB 539, which looks like an evolution from the bill you posted. http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20072008/69155.pdf

Based on maps above, my proposal for changes:
Southern half of Kemp -> Tapp/McEachern (relieves Hillgrove/Lovingood)
Northern half of Kemp -> Lost Mountain/Harrison (relieves Hillgrove/Lovingood)
Area to West of Austell (a growing area) -> South Cobb High (this will add some extra capacity in McEachern to mirror Tapp's extra capacity, so it can soak up some of Kemp)

Last edited by netdragon; 09-20-2015 at 02:00 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 AM

1,189 posts, read 733,472 times
No problem, hope your fight is successful.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
No problem, hope your fight is successful.
Thanks. I'm just going to push for a redistricting of projected overcrowded Hillgrove and Lovingood. That should sort itself out and undo some of the damage done last decade. Otherwise, there's no way to prove that HB 539 was done in bad faith.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:11 PM

991 posts, read 515,894 times
Redistricting is most needed in the Campbell cluster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or