Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,062,651 times

Advertisements

How would you describe the CULTURE of Atlanta? Does Atlanta have a culture of its own that makes it distinctive from other U.S. cities? Or is Atlanta culture for the most part just typical Middle of the South/Black Southern culture with an urban twist? I'm not bashing, I sincerely want to know, because a friend of ours who lives in Atlanta is always talking about how she's "not impressed" by any other cities that are generally in Atlanta's tier, but I can't really think of anything about Atlanta that makes it so distinctive or better than the other cities she says she's not impressed by, especially when they have just as many amenities as Atlanta does. So to me, when cities have similar size, population, pace, or amenities, then the main thing that has to set them apart is their culture. So again, what exactly is Atlanta's culture to you, and what makes it so distinct from, for instance, Washington DC, Philly, Boston, Dallas, Houston, or Miami? And don't say stuff like, "Atlanta is prettier, has more trees, etc"; tell me specifically about Atlanta's CULTURE and how it is CULTURALLY different from other big U.S. cities and metros that aren't New York, LA, or Chicago to you. Once again, not knocking. Just interested in getting opinions, especially from people who live in Atlanta.

Last edited by Julio July; 09-20-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 12:16 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,388,896 times
Atlanta really doesn't have a distinctive culture. It's a big melting pot with no real identity. Some may call it the black mecca or hip hop capitol, but that's a stretch. It's just a middle of the road city with nice weather. Nothing special here...

Old 09-20-2015, 12:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,741,942 times
I grew up in CT and NY. It's the most like a Northern metro of all Southern cities in terms of culture. Politically, it's also more liberal for the South, but more conservative than most Northern areas. It's less bible-belt, but there's still a good deal of that. I'd say a lot like if you combined Westchester County, NY and Fairfield and Litchfield Counties, CT. Or not too unlike a less dense Boston but with a more conservative tilt. Not too different than Washington, DC either. The population is about 50% Southern roots, and 50% Cali and Northern roots. To give an idea, for some years New York and Cali have been the source of the most people moving here. Some parts are more urban/cosmopolitan in the inner metro, and then some areas are more conservative and suburban in the outer metro.

I think one thing that really sets things apart from some other metro areas, but has more in common with New York City is that things are hustle-bustle here and people come here to find jobs and make money. Many people work full-time and are also sole proprietors of side businesses. People come here to succeed. It isn't a picture of laid-back Southern lifestyle.

There is an atmosphere of being educated. There are many good universities in the area. Because of the jobs, the metro tends to attract educated people, and tends to keep them. Their kids continue to remain because of the opportunities and good schools.

Businesses in more expensive parts of the country like Atlanta because they can find "cheap labor", yet the cost of living / pay balance is pretty good here and the pay is actually high for the South (maybe fourth after Houston, New Orleans, and Miami for big cities).

I also think that Atlanta has had a good deal of progress in race relations, maybe more so than a lot of Northern cities such as Hartford. I think Atlanta is a place where black culture puts a premium on being successful, so there is the potential for less tension than in some other cities. However, the history of de-facto segregation takes a long-time to unroll. Right now, there is a lot of whites moving into black areas and vice-versa and it really has nothing to do with wealth in either case. It just has to do with an imaginary line from the 60s no longer being a barrier. There are still some outer metro areas with undertones of a sort of hidden, not overt, racism as older people get scared about "those people" moving in due to effects on land value in the 60s. Yet, many of those black people moving in are wealthier than they are and often from Northern cities and California. Additionally, transplants both white and black tend to settle in the more progressive core, spread out as their families grow due to cost of land, and push the native residents further out. Therefore, it tends to dilute that influence and it becomes less and less obvious as time goes on. Furthermore, the black and hispanic population is growing so quickly in metro Atlanta that it is increasing virtually everywhere, and virtually every school that is convenient to anything. It is a reality that some of the old fashioned people just have to start to deal with.

As far as industries, Atlanta is very diversified, which is also a very positive trait. It also has multiple employment centers. However, that's more economy than culture.

As far as entertainment, you already know that Atlanta is the hub of black entertainment for a long time. This is invested in by very wealthy black AND white people and so pervasive that it effects black culture throughout the country. However, the entertainment industry is growing here in general and a lot of Hollywood films of all types are being shot here. Were it not for the establishment of black entertainment and also Turner and Weather.com, I don't think there would have been the bodies here to make that happen. If you watch Dumb and Dumber Too, you'll see downtown Marietta ("historic El Paso"), the outside of the Cumberland Galleria's Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center (portrayed as a convention center) and the inside of the Fulton County convention center near the airport. If you watch the new movie Insurgent, many of the city scenes for the Candor portion of the movie took place in and around Peachtree Center. Many other movies were filmed here as well. Vampire Diaries was filmed in Covington, GA. On and on.

Something you have to get used to here is that service workers like cashiers and utility company representatives are historically rude and tough to work with. Things are getting better.

There is also more of a tolerance for gay culture and anything not typical in the 'bible belt' in metro Atlanta. City of Atlanta itself and some of the close-in North metro has a high gay population.

Last edited by netdragon; 09-20-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,327,956 times
The first word that came to mind is ever-changing. The demographics have changed much in the last 10 years (and if more years, I'm sorry. It's all I can remember). That's bound to have an effect on the culture and will keep it fluid until the changes slow or stop for a while. When you say Atlanta, am I to assume you mean Atlanta Atlanta or Atlanta and the metro area?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
When you say Atlanta, am I to assume you mean Atlanta Atlanta or Atlanta and the metro area?
Either, or both. A large part of Atlanta is its metro (especially since Atlanta city limits actually aren't that big), so you can't really talk about the city of Atlanta without considering the metro area around it.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Either, or both. A large part of Atlanta is its metro (especially since Atlanta city limits actually aren't that big), so you can't really talk about the city of Atlanta without considering the metro area around it.
Yeah, no matter how people like to find distinctions about in-town and suburbs. It's really all one big system and there really isn't much of a difference other than what people make up in their own heads. Come up with anything about a part of Atlanta, and I can pick a part of the suburbs that matches that same atmosphere, maybe on a smaller scale.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:52 PM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
How would you describe the CULTURE of Atlanta? Does Atlanta have a culture of its own that makes it distinctive from other U.S. cities? Or is Atlanta culture for the most part just typical Middle of the South/Black Southern culture with an urban twist? I'm not bashing, I sincerely want to know, because a friend of ours who lives in Atlanta is always talking about how she's "not impressed" by any other cities that are generally in Atlanta's tier, but I can't really think of anything about Atlanta that makes it so distinctive or better than the other cities she says she's not impressed by, especially when they have just as many amenities as Atlanta does. So to me, when cities have similar size, population, pace, or amenities, then the main thing that has to set them apart is their culture. So again, what exactly is Atlanta's culture to you, and what makes it so distinct from, for instance, Washington DC, Philly, Boston, Dallas, Houston, or Miami? And don't say stuff like, "Atlanta is prettier, has more trees, etc"; tell me specifically about Atlanta's CULTURE and how it is CULTURALLY different from other big U.S. cities and metros that aren't New York, LA, or Chicago to you. Once again, not knocking. Just interested in getting opinions, especially from people who live in Atlanta.
Well what exactly does she mean by that? She may not mean that in a cultural sense.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,971,471 times
How do you explain any city's culture? I don't think culture can necessarily be explained nor should be. It's something you just have to experience. Food, language, art, sports, architecture, religion, fashion, and other human expressions are all cultural...Atlanta has a feel of its own and all you have to do is look around the city to find it.

Southern culture is a bit different from other American culture, and it's pretty obvious in a big city like Atlanta. But it doesn't need to be explained...do you go to other cities and ask for explanations? Experience is the best explanation.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
How do you explain any city's culture? I don't think culture can necessarily be explained nor should be. It's something you just have to experience. Food, language, art, sports, architecture, religion, fashion, and other human expressions are all cultural...Atlanta has a feel of its own and all you have to do is look around the city to find it.

Southern culture is a bit different from other American culture, and it's pretty obvious in a big city like Atlanta. But it doesn't need to be explained...do you go to other cities and ask for explanations? Experience is the best explanation.
See, reactions like this are part of the reason why Atlanta gets a bad rep. So many Atlanta folks seem to be so sensitive and defensive about Atlanta, even when a person is asking a legit, objective question about Atlanta. I already disagree with your "culture can't be explained" attitude (if someone says that, then that's usually a sign that where they live doesn't really have a distinctive culture), but do you have to be such a jerk because I asked a simple, objective, and very easy to answer question, instead of just answering it? This is a CITY INFORMATION FORUM!!! Calm down; things like that are discussed here. Would you be so sensitive and defensive about someone asking about the culture of a city if it wasn't the city you live in or are such a big fan of...?

Thanks to all those who answered my question without all of the animosity and without asking me stupid, irrelevant questions in return.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,073,600 times
It's because you're kind of know to bash Atlanta in the City VS. City forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta