U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 04:03 PM

47 posts, read 29,230 times

Advertisements

This forum has been very helpful. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

So I will be moving to Atlanta from dc in 3 weeks with my girlfriend. We currently live in a town house and will prefer not to sell half of our stuff. We like the space of a townhouse also. I will be working in ne. Close to the Sam's Club in NE atlanta. I have looked at brookhaven ..midtown Areas for apartments and most nice Apts I see are 1200 for a 1br and 2br is 1600 plus. Reasonae...but I somehow feel like I should be getting more space for that..and I can't find townhomes in that area. I guess because it is the nice part of town and close to the city.

So I decided to expand my search. I hear traffic is crazy but I need a townhouse. Lol. I looked into Alpharetta and I see townhomes for rent for like 1300 to 1400. Is that too far? How bad is traffic really? And what's a close area where I can still find reasonable townhomes for rent? (Areas that are safe pls). Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:56 PM

1,189 posts, read 733,472 times
Alpharetta does seem a bit far, although (considering how gridlocked 400 gets) there are more than a few who do live up that way to commute into the various ITP Atlanta workplaces.

If townhomes in north DeKalb are slim to none, have you looked at southwest Gwinnett (Norcross, Lilburn, etc)?

Oh, and welcome to GA.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:08 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2Terp View Post
This forum has been very helpful. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

So I will be moving to Atlanta from dc in 3 weeks with my girlfriend. We currently live in a town house and will prefer not to sell half of our stuff. We like the space of a townhouse also. I will be working in ne. Close to the Sam's Club in NE atlanta. I have looked at brookhaven ..midtown Areas for apartments and most nice Apts I see are 1200 for a 1br and 2br is 1600 plus. Reasonae...but I somehow feel like I should be getting more space for that..and I can't find townhomes in that area. I guess because it is the nice part of town and close to the city.

So I decided to expand my search. I hear traffic is crazy but I need a townhouse. Lol. I looked into Alpharetta and I see townhomes for rent for like 1300 to 1400. Is that too far? How bad is traffic really? And what's a close area where I can still find reasonable townhomes for rent? (Areas that are safe pls). Thanks
While street traffic can get prety congested in places, it is really the freeway trafific that I find gets the worse.

Alpharetta is nice and newer than a lot of suburbs, but the traffic is indeed bad on 400. Also, it's gotten worse since the toll was removed. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have to drive through one of the congested portions to get to your destination. I don't think I'd like to do it and then still have to get on 85. Alpharetta is large though so dpeneding on where you live, I;m sure there is a back way.

I would look at Dunwoody. It can be expensive, but there townhomes with reasonable rents that are nice is kind of like finidnig a needle in a stack of needles. I would try the area around Ashford-Dunwoody Rd.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Alpharetta does seem a bit far, although (considering how gridlocked 400 gets) there are more than a few who do live up that way to commute into the various ITP Atlanta workplaces.

If townhomes in north DeKalb are slim to none, have you looked at southwest Gwinnett (Norcross, Lilburn, etc)?

Oh, and welcome to GA.
Hello. Thanks for the advice. I actually found a few great potentials in Norcross, and Doraville. Is Norcross safe though? Statistically it doesn't look like it.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:44 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,221,864 times
Quote:
Hello. Thanks for the advice. I actually found a few great potentials in Norcross, and Doraville. Is Norcross safe though? Statistically it doesn't look like it.
Depends on where. Near the Peachtree Corners are towards Fulton County? Sure. I'd live over there. South of town near Buford HWY, Jimmy Carter Blvd or I 85? Run as fast as you can. The downtown is actually quite nice with some nice homes though.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:50 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
The nice thing about metro Atlanta is for the most part, what you see is what you get.

So all you have to do is come visit. If you have any instinct at all, you will be able to tell very quickly what is safe and what isn't.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:54 AM

84 posts, read 66,404 times
For sure there are townhomes in Sandy Springs! That is closer to where you'll be working out of and SS is a nice city to live in!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthejam View Post
For sure there are townhomes in Sandy Springs! That is closer to where you'll be working out of and SS is a nice city to live in!
I will definitely look in the sandy springs area. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Depends on where. Near the Peachtree Corners are towards Fulton County? Sure. I'd live over there. South of town near Buford HWY, Jimmy Carter Blvd or I 85? Run as fast as you can. The downtown is actually quite nice with some nice homes though.
The townhome that I am looking at is very close to Veranda Knolls apartments in Norcross. Is that a good part of norcross?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:42 AM

4,129 posts, read 3,221,864 times
Quote:
The townhome that I am looking at is very close to Veranda Knolls apartments in Norcross. Is that a good part of norcross?
It's not a bad part. I used to drive through there for work but during the day. Not sure what the area is like at night. On 140 (Holcomb Bridge/Jimmy Carter), the farther north you go toward the River, the better. Just a few miles west are some multi million dollar homes along the Chattahoochee. But you go south a couple miles and it's very industrial and poorer. Basically south of Peachtree Industrial on Jimmy Carter I would avoid, mainly after night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or