U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Following the law has nothing to do with being hospitable, it is the law however it is not as dramatic as you and te media want it to appear to be.
Uhhh...arresting a guy for a minor traffic infraction and throwing him in jail for six hours, and leaving his nephew on the side of the road? That's pretty dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,892,029 times
They probably towed his car too...which is another unnecessary expense.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM

6,370 posts, read 4,522,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
"Kanuick paid his fine and court costs but says he may never come back to Atlanta."

This is exactly what I hate about this. It's unnecessary and paints us in a terrible light. Now we do look like some podunk town in the south that is weary of foreigners.
Foreign travelers are the wrong folks to make angry especially the international ones. There is nothing wrong with Atlanta being a podunk town though.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,113,545 times
Reminds me of another case awhile back involving a British professor.

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What every Brit should know about jaywalking

Always interesting to see threads like this though.

Shows a real major difference between how people perceive police treatment as it is applied to one group of people...versus the perception of police treatment as it is applied to another group of people.

At least as far as America is concern.

Oh well.

And the cosmic ballet goes on...

Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM

225 posts, read 186,578 times
He might be an illegal immigrant. Did they validate his immigration status? I know people in this state are very concerned about such things.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 PM

27,710 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
There is nothing wrong with Atlanta being a podunk town though.
Oh give me a break. For starters, it's nowhere close to being true.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:54 PM

4,940 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I live in Toronto, and I read the Canadian media reports daily, both on line and on cable TV.

NONE of them has carried anything about this story. The first I saw about it was when I read this City Data thread.

For some perspective..............If the situation were reversed and the driver were from Georgia, and the minor traffic accident took place in Toronto......the Toronto Police Service would not even respond, UNLESS the damage was more than one thousand dollars in total. The standard practice is for the two drivers to exchange insurance and DL information, and go on their way. No need for any Police involvement at all.

If the damage was serious, the TPS would have responded, done an accident report, and if required, a traffic violation ticket would have been issued. No arrest, unless the Police officer found that the driver was wanted for some other outstanding arrest warrant. AN American driver, in Toronto, who has a traffic ticket issued to them, is assumed to be of good enough character, that they would not be arrested, nor required to post a bond, as in Canada, there is no such thing as "posting a bond ". We do have a system of " a promise to appear, at a later date ". That does not involve any money being paid, to any one.

This situation clearly should have been handled differently. The Atlanta Police created a terrible public relations mess, that could have been dealt with much more sensibly. Is it legal ? Probably, but is it the right thing to do ? Not at all. Heavy handed, and dumb as a bag of hammers, for sure.

The man drove 1800 miles, from his home in western Canada, to attend some baseball games in Atlanta.

He ends up under arrest, in hand cuffs, taken to the Police station, made to pay a bond, to be released, and a fine for a minor accident. How many of his friends in Canada do you think he will tell about this ?

The whole thing gives Atlanta a black eye.

Jim B.
Stop making me want to move to Canada!

Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This seems ridiculous to me.

Don't we have real crime issues to deal with?
I always think of this with these types of stories as well.

FWIW, if he had gotten in the accident in MI or OH on the way to GA he also would have just gotten a citation and left to go about his journey.

Also FWIW, Atlanta Police and most of the metro Atlanta departments IMO arrest people for traffic violations way too much.

I am from Ohio and in Ohio they don't arrest you if you don't have your license on you. They won't arrest you even if they can see from the computer that you don't have a license. As long as you have no warrants, you are just ticketed and told to go straight to your destination. It is the same in Michigan in many localities. I know a lot of people who moved to Atlanta from Detroit especially who were shocked when they were jailed for no license. They just don't see that as a crime worthy of jail time unless you were involved in some sort of other moderate to major crime. They also won't jail someone for not having insurance and I know a lot of people in Atlanta who were jailed for that because it didn't show up on the officer's screen and they didn't have the card with them.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:19 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,892,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I always think of this with these types of stories as well.

FWIW, if he had gotten in the accident in MI or OH on the way to GA he also would have just gotten a citation and left to go about his journey.

Also FWIW, Atlanta Police and most of the metro Atlanta departments IMO arrest people for traffic violations way too much.

I am from Ohio and in Ohio they don't arrest you if you don't have your license on you. They won't arrest you even if they can see from the computer that you don't have a license. As long as you have no warrants, you are just ticketed and told to go straight to your destination. It is the same in Michigan in many localities. I know a lot of people who moved to Atlanta from Detroit especially who were shocked when they were jailed for no license. They just don't see that as a crime worthy of jail time unless you were involved in some sort of other moderate to major crime. They also won't jail someone for not having insurance and I know a lot of people in Atlanta who were jailed for that because it didn't show up on the officer's screen and they didn't have the card with them.
This is so true...And imagine being jailed with some of georgia's worst criminals just because you didn't have you insurance card??

Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,492,728 times
Before anyone gets all "Outraged" over this, you should be aware that ALL Americans, just a few years ago, where treated the same way, by the same type of Laws. If you got arrested, even for a Traffic violation, in one State, and you where from another State, you got detained until you went in front of a judge and paid your fine, if found guilty. No one released you, to come back at a later date.

The Guy was not a Citizen, and the Law likely requires solving the problem right then and there, since there was damage of property involved, and nothing guarantees that the Man would return. I am also sure there is no footnote that reads "Unless from Canada and here to see a Ball Game."

The Cops didn't write the Laws and can't just let it go, since anyone that suffered monetary loss could take them to Court, and they could lose their jobs. I don't see a thing wrong with making any non-Citizen visitor/person responsible for accidental destruction of property responsible to remedy the situation before they leave the Country. Its a good law, and Protects Americans.

The rest is unfortunate circumstances, and who cares what others think of the Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta