U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2015, 06:59 PM
 
12,943 posts, read 19,885,336 times
Reputation: 34075

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Normally if you have a strange desire to drive over 1800 miles one-way, you anticipate that something bad might happen. Not quite this, however!
Canadians drive through GA every day this time of year, on their way to spend the winter in FL. I guess we can now figure out why GA isn't quite south enough to benefit from the snowbirds. Bad move ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM
 
28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
Reputation: 9575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Before you do that, why not check and see if you, an American Citizen, where visiting Canada, and hit a Car in some town, would they issue you a Citation, and let you go back to the good old USA on a remote chance you may return for Court? Not likely....

I think you will find it the same in every Country, once you cross International Borders. If it was that easy, you would not be seeing all these cases of Americans being held in Jails for infractions as much as you do see.

Think outside the Box folks....
I can see making the guy post a $75 bond for his ticket or verifying that he has insurance.

But carting him off to jail in handcuffs? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM
 
Location: n/a
1,189 posts, read 739,601 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Maybe I am misinterpreting your statement, but I wouldn't exactly look to CCPD and Smyrna PD as the bastions of enlightened law enforcement practices.

They have their own controversial issues to deal with.
Yeah, they do have their issues... it seems like all of law enforcement is under fire, and for very good reasons.

My comment more had to do with it involving a baseball fan, and how that location will be different in the coming years.

Have to wonder with as many snowbirds we get coming and going that there isn't a better protocol for this kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,463 posts, read 4,125,814 times
Reputation: 2167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
My comment more had to do with it involving a baseball fan, and how that location will be different in the coming years.

Have to wonder with as many snowbirds we get coming and going that there isn't a better protocol for this kind of thing.
Excellant point. I did not see that one coming. My interpretation was superficial in this case, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,512,095 times
Reputation: 5609
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can see making the guy post a $75 bond for his ticket or verifying that he has insurance.

But carting him off to jail in handcuffs? I don't think so.
Doesn't matter what you or I think. We can all see different things that we feel should change, but we did not write the rules to play with. If he hit your car and did a couple hundred dollars damage, would you be satisfied with some Insurance Company in Canada or Mexico handling the claim? All they would have to do is write you a letter saying they investigated and found the accident was your fault, and what would you do? Contact the State Department? Its not as simple as you think it is. The guy could tell them anything, once he got home, and you have no idea what their Laws are, in this situation.

As far as the handcuffs go, anyone that's arrested for anything gets handcuffs. Not just visiting Aliens. If your arrested, you will get them too, and be hauled in to be processed, guilty or not. All Police Departments I know of have that Policy. Get arrested? Handcuffs.

People do not realize what Laws and Policies there are to cover situations like this, where Americans are almost powerless to do anything once a person leaves the Country. That's why Americans can not even get Passports easy, if they owe back taxes. Inconvenient? Yes. Necessary? Yes again. Not all people are Saints and Honest, so we have Laws to make them Honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 PM
 
Location: SF Bay & Diamond Head
1,779 posts, read 1,334,117 times
Reputation: 1969
Driving while Canadian, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 PM
 
Location: n/a
1,189 posts, read 739,601 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Excellant point. I did not see that one coming. My interpretation was superficial in this case, then.
Nowadays when it comes to policing and comments about it, first impressions (even if superficial) are usually correct.

No worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2,540 posts, read 3,079,089 times
Reputation: 6721
Boris 347.

I have been following this thread with interest, and your comments in particular.

First, let me correct some things that you seem to think are facts, about automobile insurance policies in Canada. All of the Canadian Provinces require full insurance coverage, of all vehicles registered in their jurisdiction. When I say full coverage I mean liability coverage to 5 million dollars, collision, theft, fire, flood and all other perils, PLUS accident and injury coverage to 25 million dollars.

I live in Ontario, and the MINIMUM fine here, for driving without valid automobile insurance is FIVE thousand dollars. Got that ?

So, to suggest that a Canadian driver is going to somehow screw a US driver, when they are involved in a minor damage accident......is ridiculous . The claim by the US car owner, will be dealt with by the Canadian insurance company in the same way that one that occurred in Canada would be.

You seem to be one of those "law and order " kinds of guy. Me too, but I also have had enough actual experience, as a sworn Police officer, here in Canada, to be able to apply common sense when needed. In this case, the damage WILL be covered by the Canadian driver's insurance policy. As another person said, when they were involved in a minor damage accident in Montreal, the only Police involvement was to verify that both drivers had valid insurance, and that they exchanged information. End of story.

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 AM
 
28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
Reputation: 9575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Doesn't matter what you or I think. We can all see different things that we feel should change, but we did not write the rules to play with. If he hit your car and did a couple hundred dollars damage, would you be satisfied with some Insurance Company in Canada or Mexico handling the claim? All they would have to do is write you a letter saying they investigated and found the accident was your fault, and what would you do? Contact the State Department? Its not as simple as you think it is. The guy could tell them anything, once he got home, and you have no idea what their Laws are, in this situation.

As far as the handcuffs go, anyone that's arrested for anything gets handcuffs. Not just visiting Aliens. If your arrested, you will get them too, and be hauled in to be processed, guilty or not. All Police Departments I know of have that Policy. Get arrested? Handcuffs.

People do not realize what Laws and Policies there are to cover situations like this, where Americans are almost powerless to do anything once a person leaves the Country. That's why Americans can not even get Passports easy, if they owe back taxes. Inconvenient? Yes. Necessary? Yes again. Not all people are Saints and Honest, so we have Laws to make them Honest.
I disagree. There was no reason whatsoever to arrest this man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,180 posts, read 3,052,369 times
Reputation: 3414
Thank you canadian citizen for your insightful input here this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top