U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 12:05 PM

7,707 posts, read 9,556,156 times

Advertisements

It's ridiculous.

Contingency planning for rain is STANDARD. It's not like we had a ton of rain, either. They just had no clue.

But the real inexcusable part is the mass mayhem. Nobody knew anything, nobody was being told what was going on or what to do. So you have people wandering around the middle of nowhere, not knowing where to go, and without good data signals on their phones so they can't even GPS it.

It was an absolute colossal failure. I wouldn't be surprised if the county forbids them from returning in the future. I don't even want to think about the amount of flights that are going to be missed and other problems. I really just hope that nobody dies, though I have to believe the medical staff has the appropriate ATVs.

In all honesty, simply closing the event and not allowing ticketholders in is probably the only thing they've gotten right so far. Better to just issue refunds than risk what could happen.

The biggest failure is lack of information. All they need to do is set up something like tomorrowworldlogistics.com or something like that where information can be updated in real-time to tell people what to do.

Before you defend it, afdinatl, you better take a hard look at what it says about us as an area booster. Think of all the people who are going to go back to their friends all around the world and tell stories about how the bozos in Georgia can't figure out how to deal with a little rain. Sure, we don't deserve the blame, but you know we're going to get some of it.

I honestly think the future of Tomorrowworld in Chatthoochee Hills is in serious jeopardy. I hope they take a serious look at what went wrong and figure out a better way next time.

Is it hard to plan? Of course it is. But there are people out there whose jobs it is to do this type of planning. This is nothing new. I don't think the conditions are what caused this, it has to be the result of ineptitude from the top and taking a gamble on profit over experience. That gamble may prove to backfire, we'll see what remediation they issue to ticketholders and what tomorrow brings Tomorrowworld.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Just like flying an airplane. After each crash new procedures and training is put in place to prevent that disaster from happening again
Do you really think that if an airplane crashed because "it rained" would be acceptable?

Your logic is terrible, no idea why you are defending this gross incompetence. Sometimes I think you just take a contrarian viewpoint to be a troll.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:08 PM

650 posts, read 1,269,965 times

Old 09-27-2015, 01:11 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,387,093 times
Business owners that should be held responsible for their **** poor planning...

Go read through this, then please, just please try to defend the actions of Tomorrowworld organizers - https://www.reddit.com/r/TomorrowWor...rail_of_tears/

Old 09-27-2015, 01:43 PM

I really feel like driving down there just so I can give free rides to all the people that so desperately need them.

Do you think there are still people stranded at this point?

Old 09-27-2015, 01:55 PM

28,160 posts, read 24,704,135 times
I am glad I stayed home.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:10 PM

4,953 posts, read 4,002,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It's been a hot mess with people trying get home. The shuttle buses have left people stranded and they are paying Uber driver cash because of frustration. Cars were also get stuck in mud. The surge for Uber reached 5.9 Friday night. Surprisingly no riots yet, people are walking in the road. It's crazy
I know it would take away from the atmosphere of an outdoor concert, but it would be nice if they moved this event to the Georgia Dome/Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Philips Arena, and perhaps Georgia Tech's McCamish Pavilion. (Bobby Dodd stadium might be less desirable because it is outdoors and has a natural grass surface.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You're right.

Not many reports in the media yet, but if you look up Tomorrowworld on Reddit, you will see absolutely crazy stories.

The parking lots got too muddy and people got stuck. There was mass confusion among the people hired to direct parking and the police directing traffic...some Ubers dropped people off at the gate, others were directed to park & ride, so even if you took Uber, you still had to wait 3-4 hours in a field for a shuttle bus to take you to the event. As was said, Uber surged even with its fixed rate. People were paying $400 to get out of TW back to Atlanta.

Apparently, TW decided to just stop everything and they closed doors. That means unless you are in Dreamville camping out already, you can't get in. A lot of people left to seek drier ground and left stuff in Dreamville and they can't go back to get it. A lot of cars will have to be towed out of the parking lots (which are grass). It's a disaster with little information being transmitted by officials. I read reports that trash crews can't get in and the grounds are getting very dirty.

I'm hoping the festival goers keep their cool despite the mess, we don't want a Woodstock '99.

To me, this is completely inexcusable. ID&T has been producing huge festivals for over 20 years. It's not like we had a 2009 flood....just a little rain. How could that not be adequately planned for? Well, they didn't, and now tens of thousands of people are highly angry.

I read mostly good reports about the police, except that they didn't have information either and weren't consistent with how they were routing people. I really hope this ends up being 100% on ID&T and public officials didn't drop the ball anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Uhhhh, no. At $150 a ticket, there is no excuse for having to walk down all those nasty muddy roads for MILES. I would be raging right now if I would have actually paid for the ticket. I only had to walk a little over a mile up a ton of hills and wait an hour for a bus because I didn't listen to what the festival planners were saying and did not park in that renaissance fair lot.

Personally, I would avoid any concerts put on by these guys. Some aspects of it were great, but this sort of meltdown for that amount of rain? 20+ plus years of putting on concerts and a venue that is ripe for prepping months/years out? no excuse

Give me a concert in Centennial /Piedmont Park over this any day
Okay, Centennial could work. IDK about Piedmont, though, especially just one week after Music Midtown. They'd have to shut down 10th Street and perhaps Monroe for a couple of miles just to get all the pedestrians out!

Old 09-27-2015, 02:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,539,219 times
"He who is without sin can cast the first stone"

Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Wait, wait, wait....

Did you really just use the words of Jesus to defend a for-profit company that is causing suffering among its paying customers to keep some extra money?

Oh, man, that is RICH!

What planet do you call home?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:57 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,387,093 times
All I can say at this point is I am so glad I didn't stay til then end. That was the difference between suck and misery. A little bit of quick thinking saved us hours last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or