U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM

4,014 posts, read 3,305,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not quite sure what you could get out of them.

SFX Entertainment is in such free fall at the moment, this blip will either be the final nail in the coffin or so minuscule it doesn't even faze them.

I had no idea the Tomorrowworld organizers were in so much trouble.

The Fall Of SFX: From Billion-Dollar Company To Bankruptcy Watch
Damn smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM

4,994 posts, read 4,033,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
There was another event this past weekend that required walking through miles of grass, too.

Not as much shouting, though?
Um. Were tens of thousands of spectators stuck on the golf course, late at night, while it was misting? Not even a close comparison there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not quite sure what you could get out of them.

SFX Entertainment is in such free fall at the moment, this blip will either be the final nail in the coffin or so minuscule it doesn't even faze them.

I had no idea the Tomorrowworld organizers were in so much trouble.

The Fall Of SFX: From Billion-Dollar Company To Bankruptcy Watch
Whoa.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:41 PM

1,007 posts, read 562,365 times
It's all part of the experience.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:58 AM

4,994 posts, read 4,033,551 times
A map of Music Midtown (PDF)

How does this compare with the size of the sound stages and audience areas in TomorrowWorld? Could there be enough room to fit them there, plus perhaps the Active Oval and Centennial Park as additional places for stages?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,016,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
A map of Music Midtown (PDF)

How does this compare with the size of the sound stages and audience areas in TomorrowWorld? Could there be enough room to fit them there, plus perhaps the Active Oval and Centennial Park as additional places for stages?

They won't allow stages on the active oval. Apparently there is a complex, expensive, underground drainage system that can't handle the weight. There were some 40,000 people camping for TomorrowWorld, and it looked like a warzone after they took off. That event needs to stay in a rural field, and not in one of the few nice greenspaces we have.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:13 AM

3,213 posts, read 4,527,838 times
Had an amazing time. Can't wait for next year!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 9,605,897 times
It's not just the fans that are disappointed.

http://www.youredm.com/2015/09/28/ka...edia-coverage/

Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 9,605,897 times
How TomorrowWorld Became an Epic Disaster Of Near-Riots and Looming Lawsuits | Thump

Old 09-29-2015, 11:43 AM

225 posts, read 188,565 times
I was one of the few thousand people stranded on Saturday night. I can say that it very quickly became a hopeless situation. The promoters shuttle system broke down (i.e. stopped running before the event even ended), and then the Uber system broke down, and next thing you know, you are 15 miles from civilization with no shelter, no water, a dead cell phone battery, limited cell coverage if you did have a cell charge, and it is the middle of the night. Yeah, I didn't expect anything near perfection given the circumstances. However, I did not expect that level of incompetence by the event staff when it came to transportation logistics.

Inside the gate, I have never seen a better produced and better managed festival operation. Outside the gate, a complete meltdown. If you look at the media reports, all anyone is talking about is the mess outside the gate. Hopefully, the promoters will pull their heads out of their collective asses, and figure out a better transportation contingency plan next year. This event occurs during hurricane season. An extended rain event on those grounds is entirely foreseeable, yet it seemed evident they were making up their plan B on the fly.

I was co-owner of an event production company in a former life. I understand how hard it is to put together something like this. You have to worry about artist management, show production, security, logistics, promotion, etc. However, simply shrugging and saying we didn't know it would get this bad, and we tried our best, doesn't excuse the clear lack of planning -- especially for a corporation traded on the NASDAQ (SFXE).

Old 09-29-2015, 11:55 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,711,772 times
So question, which I haven't seemed to have gotten from the newscoverage...why were the transportation options stopped?

And how did it become 15 miles to the nearest road? is it just that large of a festival site? That seems like a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or